Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 12:27 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,262,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
That first post is not quite on the level. So lets not pretend that it was putting forth a reasonable observation about DC night life.

Also, lets not pretend that you started off with a post putting forth a reasonable observation about DC night life. You started off with your affected "DC defender" line. Quite frankly, used in the defense of the OP, it highlights your unreasonable use of that manufactured pejorative.

DC ain't gonna change? I thought half of the threads on here were about how DC was changing so much.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=barWV7RWkq0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 04:43 AM

27,831 posts, read 28,953,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
I think many reading this post would arrive at what is there to do past 11PM and why even stay up so late because it is not in their interest to do so.

However, it may be interesting to some in knowing how a city's texture, especially being such a powerful city like DC, would vary if it would be more lively past a certain time. Not necessarily in terms of nightlife but merely being in an awakened state. But this is a disconnect because DC is not the place for it. And honestly, I don't believe anyone would ever imagine it would and or would even ask for it. But for those that are not used to here, doesn't hurt to wonder why though.

For example, I had accompanied a friend to a gig in Queens, NY last year and at 4:30Am friday morning, I was surprised to see so many people on that particular roadway packed with people entering restaurants, washing clothes, and going about their affairs. I literally was so shocked as I had not been in the NY area at that time in a long time.

We can easily ask those people why they need to be up but why ask? It is part of the texture and the environment which doesn't exist here in DC and shouldn't. It is not the place for it. And honestly, I don't believe anyone would ever imagine it would but only wonder by those that don't understand this area yet.
The question is - Why would anyone move to Washington DC expecting it to be a major nightlife, entertainment and partying place? That seems to me as strange as someone moving to Las Vegas and expecting it to be a hotbed for federal government jobs.

Maybe a little bit of homework is in order before people move?

Old 02-05-2015, 08:17 AM

1,797 posts, read 3,658,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The question is - Why would anyone move to Washington DC expecting it to be a major nightlife, entertainment and partying place? That seems to me as strange as someone moving to Las Vegas and expecting it to be a hotbed for federal government jobs.

Agreed. I think DC has a decent happy hour crowd after work but anyone looking to move here expecting to party into the wee hours of the morning will be disappointed. In all honesty, I find a lot of DC people very douchey. I like to wear nice suits with pocket squares or a small boutennaire from time to time and people will look you up and down in this town and make comments or snicker and women will tell you you're trying too hard. (granted these are people who don't dress well and are usually unattractive but have an inflated ego for some reason) In cities like Miami or NYC dressing like this is much more normal. If you look too put together in this city people either think you're gay or trying too hard. It's ridiculous. Khakis and Nantucket Red seem to be the way to go in this city or your typical navy blue suit.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:37 AM

490 posts, read 652,337 times
Yah it's a ghost town, and boring. Where the hell are the 4 am bars at? On the bright side it's the only time you don't have to deal with the traffic around this place.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:55 AM

803 posts, read 1,674,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostopsy View Post
Yah it's a ghost town, and boring. Where the hell are the 4 am bars at? On the bright side it's the only time you don't have to deal with the traffic around this place.

I recall reading that D.C. permitted some bars to stay open until 4AM a few years ago, but only for a brief time. Perhaps it wasn't enough to be made permanent?
Bars in D.C. prepare for late-night drinking - D.C. Wire - The Washington Post

Though if you want 4AM/5AM bars and lounges, come to Chicago, we've got plenty of 'em.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:07 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,984,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

You are absolutely correct. BUT!!! Many are here by default and some come here because it is part of their career path. Military members in IT careers in the military with TOP secret clearances often come back to this area after separation. It is all about perspective. The ones that are here by default and chasing the "DC is the highest paying blah blah blah" stats are the ones that have a bit more tunnel vision. College kids that have no clue or desperate job seekers come asking on forums and are only met with "come and bunk with 5 roommates" and live off of PBJ samiches. At this point, they just need a job and they come with starry eyes and “mission” first mentality. Now, I am not defending improper research so don't get me wrong. However, we are trying to understand, why then do SO MANY people come to life and realize they hate it here? Over time, people start to settle and the novelty runs out. Just like RCLMA. At first he was prancing around and actually telling other posters that we didn't know what we were doing. That all we needed to do was dress up and bam. Now, the tables have turned. Again, he was able to settle in and take a different and deeper perspective and what he wants out of life. People change in a matter of 1-2 years. Even 6 months depending on the exposure.

Remember, any type of transition requires a certain focus on your original reasons for moving. Once you get settled in, you then become acclimated and start to reach for "the beer bottle on the side table”. This expression is in reference to those that are so fixated on working on their laptop and then once they get a breather and finally send out the email, they reach for that beer. It’s the same with moving to a new location. People finalize their job in-processing, get to know the metro, surrounding areas, new routes, and all major necessities. After a few months and even up to a year, depending on your lifestyle, you may start to now search for conveniences. This is when you start to come into your own and realize either it is meeting your demands or not.

If you are involved in endeavors outside of your original reasons for coming here, such in my case, then you become frustrated with that particular aspect but not necessarily dislike the area as a whole. I didn’t realize that I was surrounded by so many Latinos in the South Florida area until I changed jobs and started working down south and became more mobile. So again, it’s about understanding social dynamics. Not everyone is so calculating and precise. Not everyone conducts their life measures as an equation. Some are out here to simply survive and others have agendas to simpy make a quick buck.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:20 AM

490 posts, read 652,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASOT View Post
I recall reading that D.C. permitted some bars to stay open until 4AM a few years ago, but only for a brief time. Perhaps it wasn't enough to be made permanent?
Bars in D.C. prepare for late-night drinking - D.C. Wire - The Washington Post

Though if you want 4AM/5AM bars and lounges, come to Chicago, we've got plenty of 'em.
I'm from Chicago! I was there less than a week and a half ago. Enjoyed a night at the Beat Kitchen and Kuma's. Even lived through the snowstorm without sweating it.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:32 AM

1,797 posts, read 3,658,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
You are absolutely correct. BUT!!! Many are here by default and some come here because it is part of their career path. Military members in IT careers in the military with TOP secret clearances often come back to this area after separation. It is all about perspective. The ones that are here by default and chasing the "DC is the highest paying blah blah blah" stats are the ones that have a bit more tunnel vision. College kids that have no clue or desperate job seekers come asking on forums and are only met with "come and bunk with 5 roommates" and live off of PBJ samiches. At this point, they just need a job and they come with starry eyes and “mission” first mentality. Now, I am not defending improper research so don't get me wrong. However, we are trying to understand, why then do SO MANY people come to life and realize they hate it here? Over time, people start to settle and the novelty runs out. Just like RCLMA. At first he was prancing around and actually telling other posters that we didn't know what we were doing. That all we needed to do was dress up and bam. Now, the tables have turned. Again, he was able to settle in and take a different and deeper perspective and what he wants out of life. People change in a matter of 1-2 years. Even 6 months depending on the exposure.

Remember, any type of transition requires a certain focus on your original reasons for moving. Once you get settled in, you then become acclimated and start to reach for "the beer bottle on the side table”. This expression is in reference to those that are so fixated on working on their laptop and then once they get a breather and finally send out the email, they reach for that beer. It’s the same with moving to a new location. People finalize their job in-processing, get to know the metro, surrounding areas, new routes, and all major necessities. After a few months and even up to a year, depending on your lifestyle, you may start to now search for conveniences. This is when you start to come into your own and realize either it is meeting your demands or not.

If you are involved in endeavors outside of your original reasons for coming here, such in my case, then you become frustrated with that particular aspect but not necessarily dislike the area as a whole. I didn’t realize that I was surrounded by so many Latinos in the South Florida area until I changed jobs and started working down south and became more mobile. So again, it’s about understanding social dynamics. Not everyone is so calculating and precise. Not everyone conducts their life measures as an equation. Some are out here to simply survive and others have agendas to simpy make a quick buck.
True that. I used to clean up in this city but once I started looking for a relationship over random dates and one night stands my luck reversed.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:48 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,763,901 times
I'd like to think Halfamazing for seeing my post with an open mind, and that's what we need more of.

And Halfamazing is correct. Most people do come here for career first, life second.

"Remember, any type of transition requires a certain focus on your original reasons for moving."

I agree with this 100%. I had a focus, and I focused on it for the last four years, then I achieved it. Now, I'm on my way out. So the observations, and my personal opinions may not reflect your own person focus, however, you should be assured that my observation does not contain any lies as to any facts that's presented in my statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC