Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2015, 11:35 PM

13 posts, read 24,992 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I've been looking to get into the DC area since I graduated college in 2008. I graduated law school in May 2015 and just accepted a position at a non-profit at 55k with all benefits/ insurance/ metro paid for by the organization. My rent for a studio in Columbia Heights (2 blocks north of the metro) will be appx. 35% of my pre-tax income. I know the recommendation is 30% but I couldn't find a dog friendly place in a decent neighborhood with the things I wanted for that percentage of my income.

No credit card debt, about $250 student loan payment per month. Parents pay cell phone, renters insurance. No car. I'd like to save a couple hundred dollars a month at the least. Is this possible? What is my likely take home pay biweekly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 10:45 AM

912 posts, read 915,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pupluv168 View Post
Hello all! I've been looking to get into the DC area since I graduated college in 2008. I graduated law school in May 2015 and just accepted a position at a non-profit at 55k with all benefits/ insurance/ metro paid for by the organization. My rent for a studio in Columbia Heights (2 blocks north of the metro) will be appx. 35% of my pre-tax income. I know the recommendation is 30% but I couldn't find a dog friendly place in a decent neighborhood with the things I wanted for that percentage of my income.

No credit card debt, about $250 student loan payment per month. Parents pay cell phone, renters insurance. No car. I'd like to save a couple hundred dollars a month at the least. Is this possible? What is my likely take home pay biweekly?
A very crude number is about 75% of your salary. Taxes and all that non-sense typically total 21-24%. So take your annual salary, divide it by how many paychecks you have per year, deduct 25%, and that's a good guestimate. You can absolutely put money into savings every month (and should). Good for you for being responsible with your money.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:03 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,719 times
Generally speaking you are okay. While 30% of your salary is generally a good number to shoot at, the reality is it is more of a range 30%-40% that you should be within. 35% towards rent is considered acceptable. Considering your profession, this is not unusual earlier in your career to dedicate more for rent, with it going down as you progress in your career and in life.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:59 PM

Thank you both for helping me! I come from a state with no state income tax (FL) so I've been trying to figure everything out. And yes, my salary will likely go up at least 10-15k per year in the nonprofit sector as an attorney. I'm 25 and I've watched my parents struggle and live beyond their means for most of my life - my goal is to NOT do that.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:02 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
A very crude number is about 75% of your salary. Taxes and all that non-sense typically total 21-24%. So take your annual salary, divide it by how many paychecks you have per year, deduct 25%, and that's a good guestimate. You can absolutely put money into savings every month (and should). Good for you for being responsible with your money.
This is a very good estimate. Of course depends on things like how much you save in your 401k and what kind of healthcare plan you get if any at all, but generally 75% is a good estimate I think.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:04 PM

912 posts, read 915,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
This is a very good estimate. Of course depends on things like how much you save in your 401k and what kind of healthcare plan you get if any at all, but generally 75% is a good estimate I think.
True, I didn't factor in 401K because that's obviously not a fixed or given for everyone.

OP, I'm so proud of you for saying you want to not repeat the mistakes of your parents. One of my largest gripes with the school system is that they don't teach even basic living finances. If they did, I think our country would be in a much better place.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:40 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,447,485 times
Quote:

That's cheap. I'm paying 70% of my income in rent.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombleywomberly View Post
That's cheap. I'm paying 70% of my income in rent.
70% of your gross (pretax) income? Or net?

Old 12-18-2015, 10:58 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,447,485 times
Quote:
70% of your gross (pretax) income? Or net?
Net.

Housing in the DC area is insanely expensive. My rent does include all utilities, and I live in a safe neighborhood, so there's that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC