Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Grade Metro
A+ 0 0%
A 0 0%
A- 3 12.50%
B+ 1 4.17%
B 3 12.50%
B- 2 8.33%
C+ 3 12.50%
C 3 12.50%
C- 3 12.50%
D+ 0 0%
D 3 12.50%
D- 1 4.17%
F 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 12:02 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times

Advertisements

Metrorail ridership is down. Some people have cited a lack of reliability as one of the chief reasons for the decline.

Quote:
"I used to take an express bus to the Pentagon each day, and then take the Blue Line to Farragut West. I got so tired of the delays, and frequent inability to get on the train, due to how crowded it was, that I now drive to my department's Arlington Headquarters and then take our free shuttle downtown. It takes slightly less time, even with some traffic on 395."
Quote:
"When I first moved here I was ecstatic about the availability of public transit and planned to rely on it 100 percent."

"My enthusiasm declined with the increase of incidents and delays. I am a patient person so I can deal with delays, but what I can’t deal with is fearing for my safety. The final straw was the reduced train speed between Pentagon and L’Enfant plaza in response to much-needed track repairs."
Quote:
"I quit taking the train this past summer after three years of consistently using it as my primary means of getting downtown from Vienna. I got stuck in the tunnel twice for 40+ minutes each time and have since developed a bad case of claustrophobia. I now cannot ride the train without getting an inevitable panic attack about whether I will be able to get off it once I get on due to all the stops and holds it does in the tunnels.
Quote:
"I was a WMATA commuter from 2005 to 2013. I wouldn't get on it today if I were paid to. I rode from Braddock Road to Silver Spring for a time period before dropping their horrible service in favor of biking or driving to work."
http://wamu.org/programs/metro_conne...dropping_metro

How would you grade Metro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 12:09 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,181,609 times
Well, its cleaner and safer than the NYC subway. Generally runs on time, except when it doesn't. That's about the best I can say. My main disappointment with Metro has always been the shortage of parking. All in all, a bit pricey for the service received. I'll give it a C+

Old 12-18-2015, 12:17 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
Well, its cleaner and safer than the NYC subway. Generally runs on time, except when it doesn't. That's about the best I can say. My main disappointment with Metro has always been the shortage of parking. All in all, a bit pricey for the service received. I'll give it a C+
I wouldn't say Metro is safer than the NYC Subway. In 2010, there were 2,175 total reported crimes on the NYC Subway compared to 1,267 on Metrorail. The NYC Subway has more than 10 times the daily ridership of Metro.

http://web.mta.info/mta/compliance/p...0Narrative.pdf

Metro - About Metro - Transit Police - Crime Statistics - Five Year Crime Report

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_by_ridership

I'm also not sure if you can say Metro is safer from a mechanical standpoint either.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:34 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,051 times
In my experience, it has been very reliable. I think the reliability issue people complain about is a little overblown. Bigger issue for me are the 26 minute headways on the weekends.

And I have never lived somewhere people didn't complain about their transit system. Londoners have like the best system in the West but they still complain constantly about the system.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:47 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,217,234 times
The waits can be annoyingly long sometimes but other than that, me and Metro have been real good with each other from my personal experience. I ride the Green Line from Branch Ave to no further than Georgia Ave/Petworth, and the amount of times I've been on there, the train only had mechanical issues once (which was 3 years ago heading towards Gallery) and nothing crazy crime-wise has ever happened when I'm on there even the couple of occasions I was in the last row of cars. I don't like riding the Red Line to the point where I even dread it at times.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:36 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,447,096 times
Not only are most of the cars and station facilities I've had the misfortune to use old, dirty and poorly maintained, the trains are notoriously unreliable.

Actual fire incidents were occurring almost daily when I quit riding this disgrace to our nation's capital.

I can only imagine what visitors from abroad must think of America when they experience the Metro for the first time.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:55 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,754,213 times
I mean, what are we basing this on?

Old 12-18-2015, 10:54 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,447,096 times
I'm basing my opinion on years of twice-daily experience riding a system that has degraded to the point that it's a joke, and the comments and questions I've heard from visitors to the capital city of the greatest nation on earth who have experienced the horror that is Metro.

It's a shame that the capital city of the richest nation on the planet has a mass transit system more appropriate to a third-world hellhole.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:53 AM

118 posts, read 205,345 times
Metro is a poorly run, poorly managed, and poorly operated public transportation system. Too much corruption, laziness, and incompetence all over WMATA, from higher management to the part time workers. Many people nowdays can't even get to work on time everyday because of the never ending single tracking delays, derailments and other mechanical failures within the trains.

I think what WMATA needs to do, and it will not be popular for many of you, is to consider shutting down the entire Red, Sliver, Orange, and Blue lines for 6 months to fix all necessary repairs. That way, after six months, metro will see fewer disruptions, more reliability, and increased ridership. However, given the amount of backlash from riders and the media, it is highly unlikely this proposal will happen.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:07 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
New train cars look nice though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC