Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 05:14 PM

7 posts, read 7,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
As a working professional who obviously has the money to discuss buying into two of the most expensive areas of DC right now he is welcome anywhere.

With that being said, many of the black professionals I know own houses in Takoma, Shepherd Park, and Crestwood. Some do own Condos in Adams Morgan and Shaw/Logan Circle though.

He should buy in an area he likes, he clearly has the money to live wherever he chooses, especially if he is discussing buying as supposed to renting.
I'm a "she"...but thanks.

I can already tell you Takoma is out for me. I'm familiar with the area--and I don't think I would want to purchase there. I'm familiar with Shephard Park but not Crestwood.

I'd like to be somewhere metro accessible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
This. Along with Eckington, Near Northeast, Park View, Petworth, Columbia Heights, Mount Pleasant, Michigan Park, Brookland, Woodridge, Capitol Hill, and Barney Circle aka "Hill East" if OP wants to stay in DC.
My real estate agent just sent me some listings in Eckington. There are some new condo developments there that are offering a lot more space, lower condo fees and underground parking than in the logan/shaw area.

I know the area vaguely but I'd have to look around some more to see if I would be comfortable there. Its right on the other side of Bloomingdale-which is the new it place to live supposedly but I've been reading its a bit less safe....and also, I need to ask if there's going to be any more development as far as retail is concerned. Where am I supposed to go if I want to shop?

Old 01-10-2016, 08:23 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
If OP wants live around other Black People in DC, he doesn't have to live in "Anacostia". It's not like we suddenly vanished of all sudden from the City west of the river.
No one said that. But if OP wants a high black concentration then Anacostia is the place. Obviously there are black people in all DC neighborhoods.

I personally don't consider race when selecting a neighborhood. But if I wanted to be around only one race.. I would pick a neighborhood with the highest concentration of that race.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBlkEsq View Post
Where did I say I only want live around other black people?

I did mention that black people have fled to the burbs, and yes I am black, but I do not have to live around only black people.

Thanks for responding.
If you don't want to live only (or mostly) around black people.. then there was no reason to bring your race up in the first place. You should of just asked about good neighborhoods.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:29 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,051 times
Maybe Petworth? It's metro-accessible and has a pretty significant black population. You would also get a much better bang for your buck than in Adams Morgan or U Street.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:09 AM

32 posts, read 42,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
No one said that. But if OP wants a high black concentration then Anacostia is the place. Obviously there are black people in all DC neighborhoods.

I personally don't consider race when selecting a neighborhood. But if I wanted to be around only one race.. I would pick a neighborhood with the highest concentration of that race.
There are other neighborhoods besides Anacostia that she could move to. Penn Branch, Fort Davis, Fort Dupont and Hillcrest are safe and well established neighborhoods.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:33 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,996,763 times
I live off 16th Street, which is really nice, but I think Capitol Hill and H Street is the area of the city that have the best liveability and places to go.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
If you don't want to live only (or mostly) around black people.. then there was no reason to bring your race up in the first place. You should of just asked about good neighborhoods.
Chriz Brown. This is my last time responding to you because you obviously have issues. Issues with race, as well as reading comprehension.

Let me just say this. What is considered a "good" neighborhood is relative. For some people a kid-friendly environment is a "good" neighborhood. For others like myself, who are childless, that's not on my list of priorities. For others, diversity is important. And the list goes on and on.

If you disagree with my definition of "good" so be it. If you failed to understand my question-that's fine as well. If you have issues with someone even mentioning race (which is really what I think your problem is)-that's fine as well.

But don't tell me what I should and should not be asking in a thread I created. What I CONSIDER "good" FOR ME is not up for debate.

I was simply asking for recommendations on my definition of "good" --not to spark a debate on whether I should be mentioning my race or not...I don't really care about your opinions regarding that matter...so stay on topic or leave my thread.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBlkEsq View Post
Chriz Brown. This is my last time responding to you because you obviously have issues. Issues with race, as well as reading comprehension.

Let me just say this. What is considered a "good" neighborhood is relative. For some people a kid-friendly environment is a "good" neighborhood. For others like myself, who are childless, that's not on my list of priorities. For others, diversity is important. And the list goes on and on.

If you disagree with my definition of "good" so be it. If you failed to understand my question-that's fine as well. If you have issues with someone even mentioning race (which is really what I think your problem is)-that's fine as well.

But don't tell me what I should and should not be asking in a thread I created. What I CONSIDER "good" FOR ME is not up for debate.

I was simply asking for recommendations on my definition of "good" --not to spark a debate on whether I should be mentioning my race or not...I don't really care about your opinions regarding that matter...so stay on topic or leave my thread.
That's a long winded response to come from two sentences.

Listen, you never defined what a "good" area was to you. All you said was you're in your 30's and black. Which basically means nothing. One 30 year old can be completely different from another. Likewise, one black person can be completely different from another.

You gave people no real information to respond with. Yet, you're mad that people misunderstand what you're asking lol? Try again.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:23 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,217,234 times
Quote:

Uh huh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC