Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2016, 09:40 PM

1 posts, read 609 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I have lived in DC for the last 10 years and have decided to take the next step and purchase a residence here. I am a young professional and seeking advice on neighborhoods within the city to buy a townhouse or similar. I currently live in Dupont Circle and love that I am walking distance to everything I need (grocery store, CVS, restaurants, nightlife, etc.), including public transit.

I realize there are plenty of threads seeking similar types of input; the caveat is I'm looking for thoughts on what will be the next "hot" area in the next 3 to 5+ years (read: I would love to live near an area like 14th St/U St, but it's out of my budget).

After doing some walking around and research on here and other sites, I think lower Georgia Ave (around 2600-3200 and surrounding areas) looks promising in respect to potential development/improvement. I am specifically looking at a place on Sherman Ave NW + Gresham St NW. Any thoughts about the potential of this area for the future?

Any other areas that I should consider?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 10:23 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
Follow the major projects, the Walter Reed Redevelopment in particular should be noted, Northern Georgia Ave. Considering that both Whole Food and Wegmans wants to locate at Walter Reed Redevelopment, that speaks volumes. Developers are buying up property in that area, there are major projects slated outside of Walter Reed. There is also the gateway Harris Teeter development planned there, and lots of activity that will connect Silver Spring with Shepherd Park/Takoma neighborhoods. It helps the two adjoining neighborhoods are also already fairly well off and two of the safer neighborhoods in DC east of the park.

The one thing to note is the group that is doing Walter Reed is Hines Urban Atlantic, their last major project was City Center. They are highly successful with projects this scale. The house prices right now are not to bad in this area.

Last edited by DistrictSonic; 01-24-2016 at 11:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC