Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 09:29 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Dc has one of the highest percentages of charter school students in America. So basically no one is in walking distance of school.
I was about to write this, but you did. DC has a school choice provision in place. There are also application HS. So when it gets down to it, the school a kid is going is likely not to be within walking distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 08:11 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
I was about to write this, but you did. DC has a school choice provision in place. There are also application HS. So when it gets down to it, the school a kid is going is likely not to be within walking distance.
True.

I attended Wilson and it was an easy walk for me. However, the boundaries stretched to- I don't know how far- so you had kids coming from crosstown. There was a special fleet of "Charter Buses" for that purpose.

This was all before Metro really got going. Back then we were allowed to buy school tokens. Came to about 10 cents per ride. We were not supposed to use them on weekends, but most Metrobus drivers did not care if we did.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:27 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,565,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
In the suburbs--hardly at all. Most of suburban Houston or Dallas looks like Fairfax or Rockville.

But in DC itself, you might be right, in that schools are even closer to homes and streets are more walkable. Meaning there's even less reason to have buses.
Most kids in the suburbs either take the cheese bus, parents drive them, or the student themselves drive. In DC its different, most kids take public transit, many crosstown. Back when I was in school I lived in far NE near Deanwood and my school was in Upper NW DC. Had to take two trains and a bus each way every single day.

Another reason why kids shouldn't be walking long distance like that is many of them live in rough neighborhoods and DC is known to have neighborhood rivalries and beefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC