Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 06:10 PM

143 posts, read 873,355 times

Advertisements

Im looking online at an apartment there, but have no idea what the surrounding area is like.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:24 PM

353 posts, read 1,261,881 times
Let me be blunt here (pardon my language):

HELL NO. I wouldn't wish that area on my worst enemy.

That neighborhood is not a great neighborhood. Unless you're living on University of Maryland's campus, then there's nothing going on there. It's desolate, dead, and dangerous there beyond the campus area.

I gather from your posts that you're trying to find your niche when you move to DC. You seem like a person with a good head on your shoulders and I hope you find what you're looking for. I remember you said you wanted to find a group of professional Black people. U Street in DC can be on the pricy side (it's a gentrified area), but if you look around (like on CraigsList) you can find something decent. It's got a strong Black culture going on over there---the Lincoln Theatre (http://www.thelincolntheatre.org/index.asp - broken link), Ben's Chili Bowl, local shops and boutiques run by Blacks, etc.

Please, please, please don't move to College Park. For more on the bleakness of College Park, read this article in the Washington City Paper.

Last edited by breakingfree; 02-08-2008 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: adding link

Old 02-08-2008, 06:58 PM

143 posts, read 873,355 times
lol. ok college park is off my list. Im mainly trying to find a balance between price and safety. I have been utlizing Craigslist and Ive found good offers but they dont say anything about the quality of the neighborhood. If I see something I like and its cheap I post here and ask about the area.. The theme on the boards seems to be Silver Springs and nothing else.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:29 PM

353 posts, read 1,261,881 times
Neighborhoods:

Brookland: I'm partial to this area because I've lived there for over a year (and hope to stay here if I can find a new apartment!). It's quiet, peaceful, Brookland/CUA Metro (Red Line) is in the neighborhood, and there's a cafe (Sureia), the Cardinal's Nest restaurant, Ellis Island restaurant, and a small town feel of local shops, services and boutiques on 12th Street. If you want an escape from the craziness, move here, but if you need to be around an active social life I wouldn't recommend it.

Petworth: A lot of people love Petworth and have pride in it, but I wasn't a fan of it when I lived there. There are nice homes in the area, but the sketchiness of Georgia Ave. was disconcerting.

Adams Morgan: If you're into partying, this is the place for you. It's one of the most diverse areas of DC (IMO). However, some residents complain that the noise gets to be too much during the weekends.

Columbia Heights: This neighborhood is going through a lot of gentrification (a new Target's opening there next month). While many women consider it "The Gauntlet" because of the men hanging out on the streets harassing them, the neighborhood gets a lot of love from its residents and it's changed a lot over the years. Another thing to worry about is the gang violence (random shootings going on) in the area.

Georgetown: Very pricy, elitist in my opinion. There are nice houses on the side streets, but I feel Georgetown's more of a tourist trap for shopping than a residential place.

Eastern Market/Barracks Row: I love this area. It's diverse, clean, has a lot of shops and boutiques, and the striving to get back on track eponymous Eastern Market is there as well. Before the fire, the market was a place to get trinkets, jewelry, art, fresh farmer's market produce, and so forth. Things have changed after the fire last year, but it's working towards being the EM the residents loved again.

The Capitol Hill area is close to the EM/BR area previously mentioned. Just as lovely.

There are a zillion little neighborhoods in DC. The only way to get a good feel of each one is by having everyone give their little viewpoint on whatever neighborhood they live in.

You will find something. . .just keep looking. If you're in the area already, your best bet is to check it out on your own, get a feel for the neighborhoods, and go from there. Good luck to you.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:49 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
I think that City Paper article painted a worse picture than really exists in College Park. It isn't the best place, but it wasn't as bad as they portrayed it when I lived there. Route 1 though really does need to be upgraded.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:30 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,301,872 times
There is nothing wrong with College park. DC is well well known for having one of the highest crime rate for a small area. I remember when the new police chief was trying to take control of the high crime so she came up with a new program called All hands on deck. I think thats what its call but its when all law enforcement had to report to work to control the crime. That weekend was one of the highest crime week. I can careless who is in office Dc will always be a crack infested area and it will always have a high level of crime.
That article you posted Breakingfree. The first paragrapghs was about fagots in College Park. I guess you have never been to DC. Dc have the most gay clubs and gay community so if you are trying to draw a negative picture of college park just make sure that DC is in a better position. You told this person to live on U street. What?
I went to a client home who live on U street NE side and I was scared to death. I ran to my car and made sure my car door and window was all close. People think just because DC have a few white sprinkling here and there its all good now.
Here is a crime graph of the crimes that have recently happen on U street.
Crime in U Street, DC (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/local-explorer/u_street+crime - broken link)
Copy and Paste.

I just moved out of DC so I was a victim of DC crime. When I hear people say Dc is safe that is a lie. DC is by block not by area or city. If you walk one block you might be a victim of a crime. If you walk down two Blocks you might see nice homes then 2 minutes later crack heads then 1 minute later drug dealer then 1 minute late nice homes again. Dc is not one area is 100% nice No.
Also College Park is gettign a make over worth Billions of Dollars.
Here is the link. copy,paste.
http://www.newsdesk.umd.edu/uniini/r...ArticleID=1506

Old 02-09-2008, 08:38 PM

Also if you are purchasing a home I recommend Fort Washington. If you are renting as well you can also consider Fort Washington. The crime in the entire city is very very verr low to the point where it might not exist in the area.

Here is a link.

National Harbor Home Page (http://www.nationalharbor.com/Default.aspx - broken link)

Old 02-09-2008, 08:52 PM

230 posts, read 859,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
That article you posted Breakingfree. The first paragrapghs was about fagots in College Park.

Was it really necessary to use that slur?

Old 02-09-2008, 09:52 PM

Did you read the article that Breakingfree posted. Thats what I was referrign to. That poster was the one who posted the article not me.

I did not mean to hurt anyone's feels but I did not understand why Breakingfree posted that article which do contain the word.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:55 PM

692 posts, read 1,732,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrot2000 View Post
Was it really necessary to use that slur?
I think she was refering to the language used in the article. That word is used through out the article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC