Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like the Cherry Blossom Festival?
Yes 8 42.11%
No 11 57.89%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 07:34 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,051 times

Advertisements

I truly hate this thing. 1)Trees don't excite me. 2)The tourists get in the way everywhere -- on Metro, on the bike trails, on the road (IMO the weekend of the parade is the worst gridlock ever in DC).

I'm curious to see what others think. I'm sure that I am in the minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 07:38 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,360,429 times
I just dont get how a bunch of trees can be such a big tourist attraction -

They do look really nice though, and the added tourist traffic is good for the area.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:47 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,723 times
I am a very sensitive person with a very large subconscious lens. This means that I sense and feel activities that are not immediately around me. I don’t necessarily have to be in the mix but as long as it is within a close distance. Same way I get SAD (seasonal affective disorder) during fall, dark, and gloomy days. If I can relate cherry blossom to the average person's experience with football season- I am totally not a football fan but I enjoy the weekend/Monday morning quarterback chatter and activities that surrounds it. Once the season ends, I become a bit depressed due to the lack of activities. It’s a sensitivity complex I have that many can’t grasp.

So as for the CB, I could care less. I am not a parks, museums, and monuments type. As a New Yorker/New Jersyite, I hated going to the S of L or Empire State buildings during family visits. But the fact that it was there made me feel at ease. So the fact that I can already sense the frequencies that surround cherry blossom is starting to awaken something in me. The fact that it is happening is what stimulates me. It's like a new me- from dieting, working out, picking up new clothes, people watching, etc. It's a total indirect experience based off Cherry Blossoms alone- especially since I work only 3 blocks away and take that route home every day. But again, for that 1-2 week period after CB, I become a bit depressed.

I so wish more people felt these deep waves and social frequencies cause I really think there would be less "me, me" when addressing other people's concerns and interests. It's like you tell people you don't like CB and they totally go off on you...

Old 03-15-2016, 09:14 AM

27,576 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Absolutely, it's a beautiful time in DC.

As for the crowds, well what can you do? Actually, I park my car in a garage because my kids are still a tad too young to get the hang of metro.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:23 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
I am indifferent. I have enjoyed aspects of it in the past, but it really is a tourist trap. But nearly every big city has this type of festival (or festivals). In Chicago it is the Taste, Baltimore has their arts thing. If anything I can give DC credit for extending this out through multiple weeks when we have our best weather.

DC though is a tourist trap in general and becoming more of one each year. The tourists do bring in revenue for the city, but they are also kind of a pain.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:56 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,153,639 times
Tourists bring in $, and it benefits those who live in DC like me. I work and live about 2-3 blocks from the tidal basin so if the weather is nice, I could walk home and pass the cherry blossoms and they really are beautiful.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:04 PM

814 posts, read 911,768 times
They are pretty but the festival gets so crowded cause everyone enjoys the beauty of them.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:11 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,565,138 times
Nah its corny

Old 03-18-2016, 06:30 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,051 times
The thing I don't understand is why people have to go to the Tidal Basin to see the damn flowers. They are all over the place. I have never lived in a neighborhood that didn't have Cherry Blossom Trees.

Tourism is definitely picking up. Tourists are already starting to get in my way on the bike trails.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:59 AM

27,576 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
The thing I don't understand is why people have to go to the Tidal Basin to see the damn flowers.
Come on. The Tidal Basin in DC is one of the prettiest urban spots in America, especially at that time.

Perfect place to take your so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC