Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 10:30 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times

Advertisements

so many people at my job said they aren't coming in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 06:13 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodfin View Post
But hey - our awesome planners are gonna pay billions to put slow light rail exactly where buses ALREADY GO !!!

Should we demolish Metro and just use buses? The 38B pretty much parallels the Orange Line, so why have an Orange Line, right?

On a side note, I was disappointed more people didn't bike this morning. The weather was absolutely gorgeous.

Last edited by gomason; 03-16-2016 at 06:22 AM..

Old 03-16-2016, 06:41 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Based on the Google maps traffic maps, the commute looks normal. If everyone went to work then we would see how valuable Metro is.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Based on the Google maps traffic maps, the commute looks normal. If everyone went to work then we would see how valuable Metro is.
Traffic is definitely worse. The traffic on 395 between Springfield and the 14th Street Bridge was worse than normal. I biked by Route 50 in Arlington near the Roosevelt Bridge on my way to work and it was insanely busy -- way worse than normal. Also noticed more traffic on Wilson Boulevard than normal.

However, it's not as bad as it would have been if OPM hadn't given unscheduled leave/telework.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:35 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Traffic is definitely worse. The traffic on 395 between Springfield and the 14th Street Bridge was worse than normal. I biked by Route 50 in Arlington near the Roosevelt Bridge on my way to work and it was insanely busy -- way worse than normal. Also noticed more traffic on Wilson Boulevard than normal.

However, it's not as bad as it would have been if OPM hadn't given unscheduled leave/telework.
I can't argue that. I'm home today looking at maps. You're out here commuting. To me the maps look the same as any other day, but since you actually were out there, there's nothing I can say to refute that.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:15 AM

857 posts, read 1,201,378 times
Quote:
I, for one, would like to take this opportunity to praise local leadership - both MTA and the state of MD - for their decision to sink over $1.2 billion (before over-runs) into an unnecessary Purple Line project.........instead of using that money and effort in a coordinated effort to fix and improve existing Metro lines and service.

Yes, what the region really really needs is a light-rail line that will run almost exactly parallel to existing roads, yet will travel at a rate of speed slower than the average MTA bus in that area. I'm sure lot's of people are going to take the time to get to a Purple Line station so that, instea of driving, they can then pay their money for that !!

And all this the low, low cost of $1.2 billion.......before cost over-runs !! (Of course, not counting the $900 million federal contribution to this wasteful bit of pork-barrel spending.)

Money well spent, MD !! Slow-rail parallel to a road. Couldn't make this stuff up.

there was money wasted alright but it was on that clusterfockkk on H st known as "the trolley"...smdh.....

DC metro needs to expand track capacity and add express trains but unfortunately building that is MUCH easier said than done...

Old 03-16-2016, 10:31 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Should we demolish Metro and just use buses? The 38B pretty much parallels the Orange Line, so why have an Orange Line, right?

On a side note, I was disappointed more people didn't bike this morning. The weather was absolutely gorgeous.
Woodfin loves buses. He/she must work for a bus manufacturer or something. I've never seen anyone push buses so hard.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
there was money wasted alright but it was on that clusterfockkk on H st known as "the trolley"...smdh.....

DC metro needs to expand track capacity and add express trains but unfortunately building that is MUCH easier said than done...
I agree with this. Not having an express track is really causing problems now that Metro is being used more heavily by more people.

Honestly, Metro does not need the type of Express track NYC has. A NYC style express track would require two new tunnels per line. So basically building the entire system a second time. That is way too expensive to ever happen.

I think a more realistic approach for Metro would be a "rush hour" 3rd track where trains can pass each other going into the city.. then move back to the normal track on their way out. For evening rush hour they would do the opposite. So we would be looking at one new tunnel per line. However, the Blue, Silver, Green and Yellow lines will eventually share their express tunnel once they get closer to the city.

An even cheaper alternative to that would be pocket tunnels around stations where express trains can just by-pass certain stations. This would also help when a train breaks down at a station because some idiot jammed the doors. The trains behind can simply by-pass that station and not be delayed.

I would imagine building a 3rd track in the above ground sections of the system would not be that expensive depending on the approach.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Your ability to fail to understand my point is nothing short of amazing.

Woodfin supports buses when they are a cheaper alternative than would better serve a particular transit corridor.

There's almost no project in the area that better fits that characterization than the senseless Purple Line.

Metro is a total sham, and instead of formulating a legitimate plan to fix it and increase ridership on it......the only major current transit initiative is the useless Purple Line. That makes no sense.
1. How is a slow moving bus a better alternative?

2. What bus goes from New Carrollton to Bethesda?

3. When did WMATA propose the Purple Line?

Old 03-16-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Your ability to fail to understand my point is nothing short of amazing.

Woodfin supports buses when they are a cheaper alternative than would better serve a particular transit corridor.

There's almost no project in the area that better fits that characterization than the senseless Purple Line.

Metro is a total sham, and instead of formulating a legitimate plan to fix it and increase ridership on it......the only major current transit initiative is the useless Purple Line. That makes no sense.
Only you are 100% wrong (as many others have pointed out many, many, many times) on the idea that buses would better serve the purple line route. Your argument is pure crap at best.

Here is why:

1. Buses have limited capacity. They average 40 feet long. Even the 60 foot buses cannot carry the same number of people rail does.
2. Buses must use the road.. thus making them vulnerable to road conditions, traffic, weather, etc. (others have pointed this out, but you ignore every time)
3. There is no road that follows the purple line route from beginning to end.
4. Certain demographics just prefer rail over bus. Some people simply refuse to ride the bus and would rather drive if no rail is available.
5. EVERYTHING IS NOT ABOUT MONEY.

You also fail to understand that rail projects are never built for the present. They are built for the future. Your "bus" thinking is very stuck in 2016 and not thinking about 2020, 2030 and beyond.

I will agree that $$$ needs to be invested in improving the current Metro system. However, Metro is a regional system while the Purple Line is a Maryland system. Of course Maryland wants to invest in projects that will attract people to Maryland more than projects that make DC more attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: