Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 07:32 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,996,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodfin View Post
Nope - what "won" the Purple Line argument was the desire for the state of Maryland and a couple counties to slurp at the federal trough, even though they knew the project was bad. (See Hogan's long-standing opposition.)

That and the developers desire to build up a section of Chevy Chase along Connecticut Ave. But you probably don't even know anything about that.
Everyplace in the Metro region and I think nationally that has a mass transit stop experiences higher than average economic growth. How will the purple line be any different? In addition, what are the reasonable alternatives? The region is growing and we are very close to maxing out the automobile transportation options. There are only so many lanes you could add to 495.

We are having a like debate along 16th Street about dedicated bus lanes. The opponents who don't want to give up a lane to car travel don't seem to understand that without dedicated bus lanes, increased car traffic will gridlock the street.

Think about how bad traffic would be in the region if consumers had not revolted in the 60s and forced the area to install metro. Consider another 700 thousand commuters on the roads every day? Mass transit is our only option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 07:45 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,051 times
I had a lot of fun yesterday getting home. The 38B was packed from front-to-back and it was full before it even left its first stop at Farragut Square. The nice thing was that there were basically no stops between Farragut and Rosslyn because no one at the bus stops could get on the bus.

My Metro commute went from 45 minutes to 80 minutes. I should have just driven -- I could have gotten home in 20 minutes.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:27 PM

490 posts, read 650,063 times
So glad I don't have to worry about taking the metro. Second class hacks that run the DMV area are going to be screwed when the day of reckoning comes and all the slush funds dry up. They can't even keep the metro running.

My opinion, is to dismantle the current system of having MD VA and DC representatives run the metro and hand it over to the department of transportation. While I'm not usually a fan of the Feds running things, you can't expect three different "states" that are constantly competing with each other for money, business, and migration to collaborate on keeping this thing running. I dunno if I'm right or not, but whatever they are doing now is obviously not working.

DC wants more street cars... No comment on that one...

VA wants more tolls, which, if you have driven down 95 during rush hour is obviously apparent it does nothing for traffic congestion is has everything to do with sending money, up to $30 at rush hour, to a private company.

For those reasons alone, I can say they are clueless on how to fix any type of transportation problems and they aren't mature enough to handle a system as important as the metro.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:33 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
And what is wrong with building up a section of Chevy Chase along Connecticut Ave? You do realize the population of the area is growing and expected to eventually double right?

All these new people will need homes, jobs, transportation, etc.

This goes back to my earlier point about how you have no ability to see beyond 2016. This is some real lizard brain stuff. I'm finished. Continue if you want.

Everything.

It is already choked with traffic and building more residences there will make it more so. All those new people are not going to disdain cars and exclusively use the Purple Line anymore than residents of other "New Urbanism" communities do. They are going to bring their cars and add to the already intolerable traffic madness.

The Purple Line is being built for the benefit of developers. Developers are getting everything they want in MoCo. They sucker everyone with their "Green" construction. Well, if you removed X amount of residents and replaced them with X amount of car-less residents, that might fly. But you simply add more and more to the mix, you get what we have. Overcrowded schools, traffic and more traffic, strained infrastructure, and endless tax hikes (Thanks Ike!).

The Purple Line is not bringing much needed transportation to the people. It is probably the first that will build transportation so as to bring more people.

I am all for public transportation, but not this. Is it not possible, that this particular project is simply not a good idea and there are better?

Old 03-17-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodfin View Post
Perfectly stated.

It's disappointing how many people who are, like I am, totally in favor of mass transit.......fail to evaluate whether a project is worthwhile and advocate for any new mass transit.

Fix Metro first !!!!
Exactly.

Public Transportation is very important, indeed vital. It is undeniably utilitarian. I use it every day.

But then there is the...Romantic aspect of it and that leads to problems. The DC streetcar and the California high speed rail are two such examples of officials taking leave of their senses.

The Purple Line is not quite as egregious, but no less a waste of resources. Considering the rancor and the (ever-climbing) price tag, I really hope it is worth it. I fear this boondoggle will taint any future considerations for other projects.

As for Metro, fix it already.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:26 AM

[quote=Moth;43393022]But then there is the...Romantic aspect of it and that leads to problems. The DC streetcar and the California high speed rail are two such examples of officials taking leave of their senses.[\quote]

I disagree. It is egregious that it takes TWELVE hours to go from San Francisco to Los Angeles.

There is one Amtrak line in America that is profitable -- the Northeast Corridor. That's because we invested money to speed the trains up. When we speed the trains up in California, trains will become much more attractive.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:36 AM

[quote=gomason;43398658]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
But then there is the...Romantic aspect of it and that leads to problems. The DC streetcar and the California high speed rail are two such examples of officials taking leave of their senses.[\quote]

I disagree. It is egregious that it takes TWELVE hours to go from San Francisco to Los Angeles.

There is one Amtrak line in America that is profitable -- the Northeast Corridor. That's because we invested money to speed the trains up. When we speed the trains up in California, trains will become much more attractive.
Take an airplane. 1 hour trip.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:49 AM

[quote=Moth;43399273]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post

Take an airplane. 1 hour trip.
There's a reason more people take the train in the Northeast Corridor -- it's much more convenient and comfortable.

If I had to chose between driving the 6-7 hours between SF and LA and flying, I would drive in a heartbeat. I hate flying.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:02 AM

[quote=gomason;43399427]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

There's a reason more people take the train in the Northeast Corridor -- it's much more convenient and comfortable.

If I had to chose between driving the 6-7 hours between SF and LA and flying, I would drive in a heartbeat. I hate flying.
I was only referring to California. I would agree with you regarding trains and the Northeast Corridor.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:38 PM

494 posts, read 1,192,087 times
A couple of things upset me about the metro this year:

- closing of the underground metro when we had that snowstorm. Whut?! The reason given was that they thought we "could have" lost power.

- this latest 1 day shutdown.

And, 2016 is just getting started!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: