Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 10:04 AM

712 posts, read 1,093,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Aldi and Lidl are limited assortment/discount grocers, not supermarket. They will cater to price conscientious customers.

Safeway and Giant-Landover will have additional competition indeed.
True, and many of these price conscientious customers, like myself, were at one time doing most, if not all of our shopping at Safeway and/or Giant. Now I only go to Safeway or Giant if they have a decent sale on almond milk or for meat if I'm in the mood to eat some. These grocers are just as worried about discount grocers as they are about mid-size and large scale grocers. Truth is, I don't see Giant surviving. They're not keeping up with the changing environment like Safeway is (newer, visually appealing stores and concepts).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 06:34 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,270,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatInMD View Post
True, and many of these price conscientious customers, like myself, were at one time doing most, if not all of our shopping at Safeway and/or Giant. Now I only go to Safeway or Giant if they have a decent sale on almond milk or for meat if I'm in the mood to eat some. These grocers are just as worried about discount grocers as they are about mid-size and large scale grocers.
It is possible to be price conscientious and shop at supermarkets over limited assortment/discount grocers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatInMD
Truth is, I don't see Giant surviving. They're not keeping up with the changing environment like Safeway is (newer, visually appealing stores and concepts).
I would think the first supermarket participant to depart is Food Lion. It does not have any stores in the District of Columbia, but it has stores in Virginia and Maryland. It has a decent quantity of stores that have many shortcomings that send customers elsewhere.

Old 03-27-2016, 04:18 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
While living in Sofl, Publix was the last place I shopped. That place is the most expensive and so can you imagine it being in Nova or DC. Forget about it...
If you truly comparison-shop (which I do) Publix is *not* over-priced. I also shop at the farmer's market, but Publix is wonderful.The quality and service is matchless.

One of our kids is likely moving to DC in the fall, and he'll be gratified to learn that there may be a Publix there some day.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:53 AM

814 posts, read 911,893 times
Publix is already planned for Richmond and it is the greatest grocery store on the planet.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:17 PM

22 posts, read 21,751 times
Oh, man. I need a Publix sub in my belly. So good.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:57 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,972,153 times
Quote:
Publix is not expensive. First, it does not have a card program. It does not incur expenses creating and maintaining a program, producing cards, constantly changing price labels to reflect card prices, etc. Second, its prices are on par or lower than Walmart and Winn-Dixie. Winn-Dixie has increased its prices and has closed many stores.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
If you truly comparison-shop (which I do) Publix is *not* over-priced. I also shop at the farmer's market, but Publix is wonderful.The quality and service is matchless.

One of our kids is likely moving to DC in the fall, and he'll be gratified to learn that there may be a Publix there some day.
Listen, I am telling you that I lived right at a prime location- In Pembroke Pines off of I-75 across the shops at pembroke gardens. I had the choice of winn-dixie and the brand new 24 hour super walmart near flamingo. Publix was way over priced..

"Despite frequent specials, shoppers find Publix’ products almost always more expensive than those sold by Walmart. Sometimes an item at Publix costs several dollars more than the same product at Walmart.

“Walmart is cheaper. It’s the same stuff you see at Publix, nothing is different,” said Jorge Risquez, a security supervisor who lives near Publix, Walmart and Winn-Dixie stores in Pompano Beach. “I know things are going to be more expensive in Publix. For vegetables, I go to the Festival Flea Market … they’re fresh and cheaper then Publix and Walmart.”

The power of Publix: Market battles for dominance as it expands | Miami Herald

Old 04-01-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGloves View Post
Oh, man. I need a Publix sub in my belly. So good.
Publix has good sub sandwiches. I would enjoy them more if Publix has more stores where I reside.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Listen, I am telling you that I lived right at a prime location- In Pembroke Pines off of I-75 across the shops at pembroke gardens. I had the choice of winn-dixie and the brand new 24 hour super walmart near flamingo. Publix was way over priced..

"Despite frequent specials, shoppers find Publix’ products almost always more expensive than those sold by Walmart. Sometimes an item at Publix costs several dollars more than the same product at Walmart.

“Walmart is cheaper. It’s the same stuff you see at Publix, nothing is different,” said Jorge Risquez, a security supervisor who lives near Publix, Walmart and Winn-Dixie stores in Pompano Beach. “I know things are going to be more expensive in Publix. For vegetables, I go to the Festival Flea Market … they’re fresh and cheaper then Publix and Walmart.”

The power of Publix: Market battles for dominance as it expands | Miami Herald
If you think Publix is expensive, that is your opinion. Publix's straightforward lower prices is a reason why Winn-Dixie continues to close stores.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:34 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,569 times
Quote:
If you think Publix is expensive, that is your opinion. Publix's straightforward lower prices is a reason why Winn-Dixie continues to close stores.
I really dont care about this grocery store fight but Winn-Dixie doesnt exist in the DC area. Winn-Dixie stores closing means zip to us.

Our grocery stores are mostly Giant, safeway, and Whole Foods.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I really dont care about this grocery store fight but Winn-Dixie doesnt exist in the DC area. Winn-Dixie stores closing means zip to us.
Winn-Dixie only went up to Richmond, Virginia, and faltered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason
Our grocery stores are mostly Giant, safeway, and Whole Foods.
Whole Foods Market is a specialty/organic grocer, not a supermarket.

I think the supermarket participants in and outside the District of Columbia are:
Food Lion
Giant-Landover
Harris Teeter
Safeway
Shoppers Food & Pharmacy
Wegman's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: