Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2016, 04:30 AM

4 posts, read 4,022 times

Advertisements

I will be attending GW Elliott School for my graduate studies in international affairs. I have a number of questions regarding the school, neighborhood, and the city itself. I would appreciate it if anyone can answer my queries in the following categories.

Housing: From my communication with the GWU Housing, it seems like only the Aston houses GWU graduate students. What other housing options are available near the Elliott School? I understand that because of GWU’s location in Washington, DC, it is difficult to find an affordable, yet safe housing. Are there any nearby off-campus apartments that are furnished?

Safety: For my undergraduate degree, I had attended a large state university in a safe Midwestern college town. I currently live abroad in one of the largest metropolitan cities in the world, but it is still safe. From what I heard about and read online, it seems like Washington, DC is a city that has serious crime and safety problems. I will be spending most of my time in Foggy Bottom, but which neighborhoods should I stay away from? Is safety a problem at GWU and Foggy Bottom? Is it dangerous for anyone, especially a female, to walk outside at night? I am used to walking outside after sunset without any fear of being harmed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 05:50 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
I can't really answer your Housing question, other than yes Foggy Bottom is very expensive, so without student housing you might have to go farther out/have roommates.

Safety: Foggy Bottom is one of the safest areas of DC. Washington, D.C. used to be notorious for high crime, but that's not the case anymore. It's developing so fast that most areas are not bad at all. Just stay west of the Anacostia river. The East side is the notoriously bad part. Where you're going to be is a very safe area. Just use basic common sense and the same precautions as you would in any big city.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:18 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,016 times
DC has improved a lot on crime and safety over the last 10-15 years. Right now in 2016, most of the city west of the Anacostia river is safe. As a basic rule, never cross the river.

There are still some sketchy pockets in NE. But Foggy Bottom is no where near the dangerous areas. You would have to travel far out of your way to get to a bad neighborhood from Foggy Bottom.

I don't know much about GWU and its housing so can't really help there. I know there are studio apartments in that area that go as low as $1,500.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC