Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 01:40 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,360,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavicamerican View Post
That's true, but we're in a period in which police are under a lot of scrutiny and just a call for stricter policing measures is considered controversial.

Pricing out all of the long-term residents doesnt help either - just moves the problem to another location.

Separate the good from the bad, and give the "bad" opportunities/incentives to become good. If they remain stubborn, punish them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 08:22 AM

273 posts, read 348,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
Pricing out all of the long-term residents doesnt help either - just moves the problem to another location.

Separate the good from the bad, and give the "bad" opportunities/incentives to become good. If they remain stubborn, punish them.
Are you saying that all of the long-term residents are in public housing and problems? I don't agree with either of those concepts and actually find them somewhat offensive.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:58 PM

135 posts, read 145,002 times
Quote:
I used to think that public housing was generally government-owned and permanent. However, over the past few years, I've watched as several large public housing tracts, some (if not all) of which seem to have been privately owned, in DC have been replaced by large development projects. Kelsey Gardens, Sursum Corda, and the place on U street near the intersection with sixteenth street are a few examples. It has me wondering which ones may be next, for better or worse. I'm guessing places in Shaw are highly-vulnerable, given how valuable that land is becoming, and I often wonder how long Asbury Place, the senior center at the intersection of RI and 7th street, will remain a church-owned senior center. (I rarely see lights on.)

The large building right on North Capitol and NY seems like it will be around for a while.

Anyone have thoughts on which projects are likely to stay and which will go?

Sursum Cordas is still there bruh....

Old 04-22-2016, 02:36 PM

273 posts, read 348,694 times
Are there still people in it? I thought it was being redeveloped or something. I guess not...

Old 04-23-2016, 08:01 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,768,537 times
Quote:
Are there still people in it? I thought it was being redeveloped or something. I guess not...
Sursum Cordas has an active PUD for 1,140 multi-family units with retail on the bottom. It will begin redevelopment soon.

1,140 Unit Residential Project Planned For NoMa

Old 04-25-2016, 09:09 AM

92 posts, read 141,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth2power202 View Post
Sursum Cordas is still there bruh....
Sursum Corda is still there for now but will be gone soon. There was also Temple Courts high rise on K st right behind SC. That was torn down a few years ago.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:15 AM

92 posts, read 141,336 times
it's a very slow train, but one by one, many of these buildings will be torn down and replaced. Seeing as how there is still a large amount of traditional public housing left in the city, I don't see too many dramatic changes soon, maybe over the course of 10-20 years.

I do think the ones in Shaw though that are project-based section 8 and privately owned, those will be sold as soon as those contracts expire. Shaw is such a weird place now..beer gardens, million dollar rowhomes and small plate restaurants next to projects..anyone going through that area knows the days of the low income folks are numbered. Maybe a few token ones will be kept to show "diversity".

Old 05-04-2016, 07:35 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,546,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Many places are LIHTC developments in which private developers built housing.
And before LIHTC was invented in 1986, there was Project-Based Section 8. You can look up expiring contracts via this database.

Tenants in DC have the "right of first refusal" under TOPA to purchase their own buildings if they come up for sale. In practice, this means that the developers who purchase large privately-owned subsidized apartment buildings usually can't just displace tenants en masse; if they so threatened, the tenants could just buy the building themselves. So, when subsidized housing gets demolished, it's usually replaced at least 1-for-1.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:15 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
And before LIHTC was invented in 1986, there was Project-Based Section 8. You can look up expiring contracts via this database.

Tenants in DC have the "right of first refusal" under TOPA to purchase their own buildings if they come up for sale. In practice, this means that the developers who purchase large privately-owned subsidized apartment buildings usually can't just displace tenants en masse; if they so threatened, the tenants could just buy the building themselves. So, when subsidized housing gets demolished, it's usually replaced at least 1-for-1.
TOPA does not work out so well in many cases. They often just get bought out or priced out before they can even exercise those rights. In addition it requires that the person has the capital to buy the building, this is more difficult in more expensive areas west of the river. Sometimes the developer basically balks, keeps the building then makes tenants lives hell through degrading maintenance and escalating rent.

They can't replace the tenants en masse, but they can do it over time. $1000+ rent hikes are not unusual once the section 8 contract ends. Section 8 only covers up to a certain amount. Again...perfectly legal for buildings built after 1975. Again taking the billions that these buildings are worth, it is unlikely that they will be successful. Saving at most a handful of these smaller buildings in the end.

In some cases TOPA does work, but in many it does not. The tenants in most cases just get bought out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC