Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2016, 06:35 AM

32 posts, read 34,219 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will move next month to DC and I have been checking some places to live. I found some nice buildings close to NOMA metro station and I was wondering if such commute to the FDA would be nice or terrible. I know I have 2 options to be car free:

1) metro from NOMA to silver spring (13 min) + FDA shuttle (20 min)

2) metro from NOMA to fort totten (6 min) + K9 (30 min)

These times are according to wmata web. However, do you think these times would be realible or should I expect 1 hour each way?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Best,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 11:32 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,528,631 times
The times are accurate. There are occasionally delays on Metro but it's usually fine during rush hour. I ride Metro almost every day and have had like 2 or 3 major delays in the last few years.

Why don't you consider Silver Spring? I can almost guarantee you that you will find something more affordable there and then you could just take Ride On Bus/FDA shuttle to White Oak? Silver Spring offers urban living that's pretty similar to NoMa.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
The times are accurate. There are occasionally delays on Metro but it's usually fine during rush hour. I ride Metro almost every day and have had like 2 or 3 major delays in the last few years.

Why don't you consider Silver Spring? I can almost guarantee you that you will find something more affordable there and then you could just take Ride On Bus/FDA shuttle to White Oak? Silver Spring offers urban living that's pretty similar to NoMa.
Thanks for your reply.

Then, should I expect 45 minutes each way?

The reason why I am considering NOMA over SP is because lower income tax. If I live in DC I will pay around 150$/month comparing to SP and that difference will balance the cheaper of SP living. Moreover, since I will be federal employee I will have acces to transport benefit. If I live in SP I am not sure if I would qualify. All these is what I found reading online, if I am wrong please let me know

Best,

Old 04-27-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuagmireRules View Post
Thanks for your reply.

Then, should I expect 45 minutes each way?

The reason why I am considering NOMA over SP is because lower income tax. If I live in DC I will pay around 150$/month comparing to SP and that difference will balance the cheaper of SP living. Moreover, since I will be federal employee I will have acces to transport benefit. If I live in SP I am not sure if I would qualify. All these is what I found reading online, if I am wrong please let me know

Best,
Yes, I think you can definitely make it in 45 minutes as long as you time your arrival with the shuttle well. I think you are right about the tax thing, but you can definitely still get the transit benefit for using the bus. The transportation benefit is supposed to be strictly for commuting FYI. People have been fired/disciplined in the federal government for misusing the benefit.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Yes, I think you can definitely make it in 45 minutes as long as you time your arrival with the shuttle well. I think you are right about the tax thing, but you can definitely still get the transit benefit for using the bus. The transportation benefit is supposed to be strictly for commuting FYI. People have been fired/disciplined in the federal government for misusing the benefit.
Thanks gomason!

Yes, I know it is strictly for commuting. Nevertheless, I have read that recently wmata has a monthly pass where you get unlimited trips for 180$ as soon as ride more than 18 trips. Since, I will work more than 9 days per months (18 trips) I thought I could take advantage of these new option. Do you think it would be considered legal?

Thanks!

Old 04-27-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuagmireRules View Post
Thanks gomason!

Yes, I know it is strictly for commuting. Nevertheless, I have read that recently wmata has a monthly pass where you get unlimited trips for 180$ as soon as ride more than 18 trips. Since, I will work more than 9 days per months (18 trips) I thought I could take advantage of these new option. Do you think it would be considered legal?

Thanks!
Yes, I think so. But from what I've heard, it's nearly impossible for federal employees to take advantage of it. It's a bureaucratic nightmare but ask your employer about it. Maybe it's possible.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:24 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,959,227 times
Just move to downtown Silver Spring. It is a safer area with equal if not better amenities. Moving to NoMA honestly does not make a great deal of sense to me. Plus your times seem very off. It will be closer to 45-50 minutes each way.

I know NoMA seems great with the new buildings, but it is one of the blander neighborhoods of DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC