Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 01:56 PM

406 posts, read 624,343 times

Advertisements

Hello DC area baseball fans, my question is in regard to Nationals Park. I plan on seeing a game there in the near future and am wondering what are some of the rules regarding the observance of batting practice in sections that are not where your paid ticket is. Like most people, I would like to watch batting practice from behind the home run wall in hopes of collecting a Rawlings souvenir.

The website states that gates open 2.5 hours prior to first pitch in centerfield. Beyond that, the rules and regulations are a little vague. Therefore, I am turning to those who have gone to a Nationals' game for batting practice and hoping for your feedback on the experience.

It will be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 02:35 PM

429 posts, read 719,755 times
My husband and I did this a couple years ago - came when the doors opened to watch batting practice. It was fun. As it was the first time we'd been in the ballpark, we got drinks and strolled around the place and watched BP. When the guys came in off the field some of them signed balls for little kids who'd call out to them. Actually, it was sweet. Lovely day. Chill atmosphere. I'd do it again (both come to a game AND come early to BP).

Old 05-01-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie Beanie View Post
My husband and I did this a couple years ago - came when the doors opened to watch batting practice. It was fun. As it was the first time we'd been in the ballpark, we got drinks and strolled around the place and watched BP. When the guys came in off the field some of them signed balls for little kids who'd call out to them. Actually, it was sweet. Lovely day. Chill atmosphere. I'd do it again (both come to a game AND come early to BP).
Thanks for your response Jeannie! From your experience, I am gathering that the ushers were accommodating enough to allow fans to witness batting practice from any section, regardless of where their seating location was?

I was at Nationals Park once before on a very hot summer afternoon. This time it will be a night game!

Old 05-01-2016, 10:00 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmemories View Post
Thanks for your response Jeannie! From your experience, I am gathering that the ushers were accommodating enough to allow fans to witness batting practice from any section, regardless of where their seating location was?

I was at Nationals Park once before on a very hot summer afternoon. This time it will be a night game!
I dont think its an issue. They do the same in hockey games.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:30 PM

I am posting this to move this thread to the top of the list in the hopes that someone can provide info on the rules regarding the observance of batting practice at Nationals Park. The game I am supposed to attend is during the current home stand. There has some good posts so far.

More specifically, I am looking for restrictions, if any, imposed by the ushers. The website states that centerfield gates open 2.5 hours prior to first pitch and that limited areas are open to fans. Do those areas include seating sections? Specifically, sections that are not where your ticketed seat is? All sections open 1.5 hours before the start of the game for those wondering.

I am getting the feeling that there are not many restrictions, but any additional info would be helpful.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:46 PM

If you read my original post and were wondering about the questions I had, here are some answers.

It turns out you CANNOT sit in a section that is not in your designated area, even if it is 2.5 hours before game time. In my case, there was nothing to see anyway because BP was canceled. I knew there was a very good chance of the cancelation because it was raining until about 2.75 hours before first pitch. (I thought it would be fun to stay consistent with the decimals for length of time).

Under normal circumstances, I would have hung out in a nearby bar and grill, but what I did NOT expect was how much company I had with me! It was not the handful of people I expected. There was a lot of company with me on the centerfield concourse. The crowd was no doubt a result of the giveaway (Harper bobblehead).

Those of you who follow the Nationals know that was Wednesday and you will also know that was the night Max Scherzer struck out 20 batters (a feat more rare than a perfect game). So, despite no BP, we got a high in demand promo item (plenty of people offered me money for the bobblehead) and better yet witnessed history!

Old 05-14-2016, 05:39 PM

429 posts, read 719,755 times
So glad you had a good experience, and thanks for coming back and updating us on your game.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:07 AM

2,008 posts, read 1,248,758 times
That was an awesome game you saw! We went to the Sunday afternoon game... not quite as good of an outcome, lol.

The open concourses are a godsend; not sure why more people don't just grab the cheap $10 tickets and then head down to the bars on the 100-level and watch the game there. we had Section 234 and couldn't see Harper or Stanton in RF, but on the lower-level concourse we could see everything perfectly.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct41 View Post
That was an awesome game you saw! We went to the Sunday afternoon game... not quite as good of an outcome, lol.

The open concourses are a godsend; not sure why more people don't just grab the cheap $10 tickets and then head down to the bars on the 100-level and watch the game there. we had Section 234 and couldn't see Harper or Stanton in RF, but on the lower-level concourse we could see everything perfectly.

I REALLY like the open concourses in the new stadiums. Nationals Park has done a particularly good job of creating different views for standing fans. I especially liked the vantage point directly behind home plate on the upper tier.

Bryce Harper brings an intensity to the game along with his talent. When the Nationals took the field, he went all the way to the warning track to slap the hands of the guys in the bullpen. I am not sure I ever saw an outfielder do that. I tried to get a couple of good pictures of Scherzer in the windup from the 100 level concourse in the infield when it was apparent that he had a chance at history. They came out okay.

There are a lot of new buildings going up in the area as was apparent from all the cranes that were visible. Eventually one may not be able to see the Capitol Building anymore. As it is now, the only good sight fans had was from the upper tier concourse in left field.

Somebody asked me a question that maybe you could answer. Is Nationals Park on the old sight of RFK Stadium?

Old 05-17-2016, 07:21 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,248,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmemories View Post

Somebody asked me a question that maybe you could answer. Is Nationals Park on the old sight of RFK Stadium?
Nope - RFK is still standing. DC United uses it for their games, but other than that it doesn't get much use. During the big snowstorm on January, they piled a lot of the snow there... ha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC