Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 11:11 AM

48 posts, read 32,099 times

Advertisements

I recently moved into one of the luxury apartments in Logan Circle on 14th Street. It seems like there’s some white person being disrespectful to me every single day that I’ve been here. Mind you, there’s only 5 other black people in the building. It almost feels like these white folks are threatened and upset that a black guy lives in the building.

Old 07-12-2020, 07:02 PM

I have experienced hostile stares and looks from multiple people in the building. I even had one guy ask me if I was building maintenance. I’m trying to maintain my composure but I’m getting ready to just have an outburst and go off on all of the people in the building who do this.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:55 PM

6,741 posts, read 6,730,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCBlackDude View Post
I even had one guy ask me if I was building maintenance.
I'm sorry to hear that, can only imagine how insulted you felt...especially because the building is probably not cheap.

That said, it's a bit much to assume every white person there is racist or demean them as "gentrifiers". People have a right to live where they want. Just as I wouldn't live somewhere that made black people feel unwelcome, I don't think it's ok to make white people feel unwelcome.

Old 07-13-2020, 08:15 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,628,948 times
Quote:
I recently moved into one of the luxury apartments in Logan Circle on 14th Street. It seems like there’s some white person being disrespectful to me every single day that I’ve been here. Mind you, there’s only 5 other black people in the building. It almost feels like these white folks are threatened and upset that a black guy lives in the building.
Seems like you're the one with the issue. This is your second post throwing race issues out there regarding Logan Circle.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Seems like you're the one with the issue. This is your second post throwing race issues out there regarding Logan Circle.
Well, it’s true. If you ask any black person living in one of these luxury buildings, they will tell you the same thing. The new residents somehow believe that all black people are poor and should not be living in luxury apartments. I’m not leaving and I will fight.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:57 AM

8 posts, read 9,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post

@RLCMA you are gaslighting this man. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting

Please respect his experience. Just because you don't experience daily microaggressions (I'm guessing you are a white male), doesn't invalidate the experience of others.

Old 07-13-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I have experienced hostile stares and looks from multiple people in the building. I even had one guy ask me if I was building maintenance. I’m trying to maintain my composure but I’m getting ready to just have an outburst and go off on all of the people in the building who do this.

I'm sorry to hear that. I cannot imagine how it must feel to be racially profiled in your own building. I know DC is still pretty sadly segregated. Have you been able to express your concerns to property management at all?

Old 07-13-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgirl2020 View Post
I'm sorry to hear that. I cannot imagine how it must feel to be racially profiled in your own building. I know DC is still pretty sadly segregated. Have you been able to express your concerns to property management at all?
I have written to the management company and they have been fairly unresponsive. I feel like 95% of the residents look at me like I don’t belong in “their” building. I should look into possibly suing some of the residents and the building for racial discrimination.

Old 07-13-2020, 10:18 AM

It’s like these folks think that black people are invading their spaces. Their attitude amounts to them only tolerating black people but not truly embracing black people. I believe that if they had their way, black people wouldn’t be allowed to even live or set foot in the city.

Old 07-13-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I have written to the management company and they have been fairly unresponsive. I feel like 95% of the residents look at me like I don’t belong in “their” building. I should look into possibly suing some of the residents and the building for racial discrimination.

That sucks man. I wonder if ACLU DC would be of any help... I tried checking their website, but couldn't find anything too specific other than this: https://www.aclu.org/know-your-right...ion-in-housing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: