Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2023, 10:51 AM

910 posts, read 2,330,266 times

Advertisements

Looking to potentially relocate to the Washington DC area. I'd like to rent over there for a couple years for starters, and all I need is a one bedroom, one bath apartment or studio. Is a $1500 max unreasonable? How is the area around Howard University?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2023, 12:07 PM

370 posts, read 155,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
Looking to potentially relocate to the Washington DC area. I'd like to rent over there for a couple years for starters, and all I need is a one bedroom, one bath apartment or studio. Is a $1500 max unreasonable? How is the area around Howard University?
Low price means not near a metro and usually not very safe. Run a basic search for all apartments $1500 and you’ll see.

If that’s your budget I don’t know why you would want to live in DC, pay DC taxes and be in likely a fairly sketchy area.

Old 07-19-2023, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW2436 View Post
Low price means not near a metro and usually not very safe. Run a basic search for all apartments $1500 and you’ll see.

If that’s your budget I don’t know why you would want to live in DC, pay DC taxes and be in likely a fairly sketchy area.
Ok thanks for the candid input. Let me re-phrase my question a little. Where would be an ideal but reasonable area to live in for a job in the DC area? If that means rent between $2000-$3000? I don't mind a little bit of a commute, preferably not using public transportation, I'd rather drive. I'm looking at a job which would hopefully have decent compensation.

Old 07-19-2023, 02:43 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
Are you looking in DC proper or are you ok with living in Virginia or Maryland?

You’ll find it difficult to find even a basement apartment with $1500 in DC proper.

Old 07-19-2023, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW2436 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Are you looking in DC proper or are you ok with living in Virginia or Maryland?

You’ll find it difficult to find even a basement apartment with $1500 in DC proper.

Is Howard University considered DC proper? 30 minutes to an hour from there is ok with me, will that bring me to Virginia or Maryland? Sorry I'm not that familiar with the east coast. Thanks

Old 07-19-2023, 06:03 PM

370 posts, read 155,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
Is Howard University considered DC proper? 30 minutes to an hour from there is ok with me, will that bring me to Virginia or Maryland? Sorry I'm not that familiar with the east coast. Thanks
DC proper just means Washington, DC. Yes, Howard is in DC.

DC is a small city sq mileage wise

Judging commutes by minutes is hard unless we know if you would use metro vs car and time of day. My commute can be 25 mins or it can be 60 mins depending of day of week and method I chose

Old 07-20-2023, 07:36 AM

303 posts, read 237,078 times
"ideal but reasonable" and "for a job in the DC area" are extremely vague and subjective.

"30 minutes to an hour" for a commute is also extremely vague.

This area can be brutal with regards to cost of housing and commutes, with a lot of variables. If you are coming from an "easy" place to live you might be in for a surprise here.

Where will you be working?

Old 07-20-2023, 10:44 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
Looking at other threads of the OP's, he appears to be all over the place. His latest thread lists Fairbanks as a possibility.

Is there any reasonable rent around UAF?

Quote:
Looking to pursue a job at University of Alaska Fairbanks.
It seems as if this is a temporary move for you. If I were in your shoes, I'd look for a room/basement to rent somewhat close to where you'll be working. No reason to sign a long term lease for an apartment that you'll likely be at for just a couple of years.

Job in another state, home in another... (license, credit, tips)

Quote:
So I'm considering pursuing a job in another state, but keeping my home in my current state, my wife will stay behind and live in the current house because we only have another couple years to pay off the house, instead of selling it with decent equity, we are thinking of selling it outright without a mortgage, to get 100% of the value. We don't want a renter to wreck it in the process. We're in our late 50's and being married 35 years, I don't think being apart for a little bit (1.5 to 2 years) will be an issue, and she's open to the idea as well, we are empty nesters.

Old 07-20-2023, 02:31 PM

55 posts, read 145,982 times
This probably puts you in the 10-12 mile commute range to Howard. Not the best location but not as people say. It's also very close to National Harbor.

https://www.apartments.com/wilson-to...ll-md/y9213bv/

Old 08-22-2023, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Looking at other threads of the OP's, he appears to be all over the place. His latest thread lists Fairbanks as a possibility.

Is there any reasonable rent around UAF?

It seems as if this is a temporary move for you. If I were in your shoes, I'd look for a room/basement to rent somewhat close to where you'll be working. No reason to sign a long term lease for an apartment that you'll likely be at for just a couple of years.

Job in another state, home in another... (license, credit, tips)
I'm all over the place because the nature of my work, technology, is offered all over the place. So there's a lot of opportunities all over the place, from Alaska to DC. You're probably wondering then why I don't look close to home? Because the higher compensating opportunities are somewhere else, and I'm considering maximizing my earnings potential before it's time for me to retire, in about 8-10 years as I'm at that point in my life where I have to consider taking advantage of it, or just staying put, so I'm looking around and factoring in the cost for me to rent somewhere in a distant location, possibly temporarily but if it becomes a long term opportunity then I'd consider settling down wherever I end up.

I didn't realize people here actually look at other people's posting history that closely, but that's ok, I'm just letting you know there's a reason I'm doing all this research and have been a member of this forum for a long time, and I appreciate all the helpful people who've offered their advice here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC