Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 06:50 AM

5 posts, read 83,178 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I am 26 year old software engineer relocating to DC for a job with the feds.

I own a house in NC and I need to keep my rent in DC around 600-750. I dont mind having 2 or 3 rooms.

I am going to be working on Penn Ave and I need to be close to a metro stop.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks very much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2007, 09:56 AM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
You may be hard pressed to find a rental in that price range. It may be more reasonable to share an apartment or TH with 1-3 others.

Having lived in that area for 31 years, my best advice is to look for places along the Orange Line subway in Arlington County, VA.... Rosslyn, Court House, Clarendon, Ballston. Search for these by name with the Search this Forum tool, also search for them in the VA forum where there is more info.

s/Mike

Old 02-03-2007, 06:22 AM

12 posts, read 141,775 times
You can afford a boarding house (a house with a room in it) for what you want to pay. For 900 perhaps you could afford a studio apartment somewhere in the district. Look on Wisconsin Ave NW. DC is extremely segregated. You can live in an all black neighborhood Fort Todden Park and rent a one bedroom apartment for 650ish. Maybe 700.
search on craigslist for an apartment.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:11 AM

82 posts, read 567,451 times
um yeah a 2-3 bdrm for 600-700..not going to happen. Check W. VA. If you want to live in DC a 2-3 bdrm apt is going to run 2000-3000. A one bdrm probably in the 1100 range (minimum).

Old 03-17-2007, 11:39 AM

25 posts, read 203,562 times
In my experience, DC is quite segregated, but for the most part, there is no hostility toward someone of a different race. Predominantly black areas that are especially nice, and welcoming, include the southern and eastern edges of Capitol Hill, Woodridge, the Mt. Rainier area, and Hillcrest (very nice place). Fort Totten and Lamond-Riggs are OK. There are racially mixed areas such as Columbia Heights and Brookland (very much in transition), and Mt. Pleasant, but Columbia Heights prices really skyrocketed during last year's boom. Predominantly white neighborhoods will generally be welcoming to non-whites, but I have heard about a lot of hostility toward African Americans in some mostly white pockets of Prince George's County, such as Bowie.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 98,847 times
Hi, I'm relocating to DC for a year/two. I'm a single Mexican mom with a teenager. I'm looking for a nice safe neighberhood with a good H.S. and somewhat close to hospitals because that's my line of work. I was thinking of Maryland, Virginia, Silver Springs, Washington. Any recommendations?

Old 04-20-2009, 12:06 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisaru View Post
Hi, I'm relocating to DC for a year/two. I'm a single Mexican mom with a teenager. I'm looking for a nice safe neighberhood with a good H.S. and somewhat close to hospitals because that's my line of work. I was thinking of Maryland, Virginia, Silver Springs, Washington. Any recommendations?
What is your budget? Do you need to be near a metro station (walking distance, or is driving/taking a bus ok)? Arlington and Falls Church seem to have a decent Hispanic population (although I think it's more South American or Salvadorean than Mexican) and good schools.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 98,847 times
I don't have a specif budget, I make good money, I just want to be in a nice area, preferably not in a hispanic comunity. I more concearn in finding a good and safe area were my son can walk to school. I have a car so I don't need to be near public transportation.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:10 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
North Arlington is safe, has good schools, and is more on the "urban" side (i.e. dense, walkable, etc). Falls Church is a little more suburban (in my opinion), and also has decent schools. It can be a little cheaper than Arlington, but still pretty close-in. Fairfax County is further out and more suburban. Alexandria is also really nice, but it seems that there is a debate over the school quality. As for Maryland, Silver Spring, Bethesda, and Rockville are all good areas (safety-wise and school-wise).

Old 04-21-2009, 07:32 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,725,428 times
Arlington is a good option. Very good high schools. There is a large Latino community that has slightly dwindled in recent years, but from El Salvador and Guatemala as opposed to Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC