Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 10:08 AM

6,832 posts, read 4,283,840 times

Advertisements

There was a gang-related shootout in Shaw over the weekend, killing two. Literally across the street from shiny new apartment buildings. How many white collar employees will want to live in neighborhoods where that kind of stuff goes down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2024, 06:29 AM

136 posts, read 62,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
There was a gang-related shootout in Shaw over the weekend, killing two. Literally across the street from shiny new apartment buildings. How many white collar employees will want to live in neighborhoods where that kind of stuff goes down?
Good thing You don’t live in DC.

NoMa & Navy Yard were the fastest growing neighborhoods in the country and DC is gaining population, so, there’s some sort of demand. In fact, I think DC & Frederick, MD have been the fastest growers by raw number in the DMV

Last edited by NorthAmerica_US; 03-19-2024 at 06:41 AM..

Old 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,139 posts, read 7,603,033 times
Shaw isn't exactly a "white collar" area/neighborhood, but it's mostly residential. It sounds like the latest shooting happened at 3am after a club closed. The neighbors have already made it known they want the club closed because it doesn't fit their immediate neighborhood.

Last edited by the resident09; 03-19-2024 at 07:58 AM..

Old 03-19-2024, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Shaw isn't exactly a "white collar" area/neighborhood.

The apartments right across from the crime scene have tiny one bedrooms going at 2.5k+ and two bedrooms starting close to 4k. I don't think that pricing is aimed at landscapers, mechanics and store clerks. They're advertising them as being in "northwest D.C.", which is technically true, but as you know the mental images associated with that wouldn't imply gang shootings will happen outside your building.

I mean that's clearly been happening all over D.C., 'luxury' type apartment buildings built in neighborhoods that used to be 'no-go' areas and are still within a stone's throw of communities where street crime is a fact of life.

Old 03-19-2024, 01:24 PM

13,733 posts, read 15,801,938 times
Quote:
The apartments right across from the crime scene have tiny one bedrooms going at 2.5k+ and two bedrooms starting close to 4k. I don't think that pricing is aimed at landscapers, mechanics and store clerks. They're advertising them as being in "northwest D.C.", which is technically true, but as you know the mental images associated with that wouldn't imply gang shootings will happen outside your building.

I mean that's clearly been happening all over D.C., 'luxury' type apartment buildings built in neighborhoods that used to be 'no-go' areas and are still within a stone's throw of communities where street crime is a fact of life.
Costar has new Class A apartment buildings in DC proper hovering around 95% which is where stabilized buildings are supposed to be. DC is growing faster than almost all urban cities around America and that has been happening every year for over a decade now.

Old 03-20-2024, 08:47 AM

Quote:

What’s your theory on Washington being one of the hottest markets, rising rents and growing faster than Northern Virginia counties/cities?

Crime? Carjackings?

They now have undercover authorities in metro dresses in civilian clothing busting fare evaders, on top of the new gates, additional law enforcement, law enforcement walking through metro trains. Secure DC was just passed.

Old 03-20-2024, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAmerica_US View Post
What’s your theory on Washington being one of the hottest markets, rising rents and growing faster than Northern Virginia counties/cities?

Crime? Carjackings?

They now have undercover authorities in metro dresses in civilian clothing busting fare evaders, on top of the new gates, additional law enforcement, law enforcement walking through metro trains. Secure DC was just passed.

I don't care one way or another about some D.C. vs NoVa growth pissing contest. The reality of it is that crime does affect things or why do you think a body like D.C. city council has passed the Secure DC bill in the first place. 3-4 years ago they were all about 'eff the police'. Might have something to do with stuff like shootings and carjackings happening near the homes of people with money and influence?

As long as D.C. is the seat of the federal government and the federal government grows in size, D.C. will attract growth. Even in the darkest days of D.C. there were neighborhoods of extreme wealth and status in D.C., so yeah people will still wanna live in D.C. but perhaps not *everywhere* in D.C.

Gentrification opened up a lot of areas that were considered off-limits as recently as 10-15 years ago. But gentrification needs public safety backing. We'll see where all of this is going and whether the new measures have any teeth.

Old 03-20-2024, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I don't care one way or another about some D.C. vs NoVa growth pissing contest. The reality of it is that crime does affect things or why do you think a body like D.C. city council has passed the Secure DC bill in the first place. 3-4 years ago they were all about 'eff the police'. Might have something to do with stuff like shootings and carjackings happening near the homes of people with money and influence?

As long as D.C. is the seat of the federal government and the federal government grows in size, D.C. will attract growth. Even in the darkest days of D.C. there were neighborhoods of extreme wealth and status in D.C., so yeah people will still wanna live in D.C. but perhaps not *everywhere* in D.C.

Gentrification opened up a lot of areas that were considered off-limits as recently as 10-15 years ago. But gentrification needs public safety backing. We'll see where all of this is going and whether the new measures have any teeth.

There’s no contest between NoVa and DC. If there were, I’m sure Northern Virginia would be winning and you’d be letting us know. My point was, you’re being alarmist about Washington when there’s things across the river you could equally worry about. How can you lecture about whether people will leave (or not move to) Washington when it’s among the strongest growing areas of the DMV for now two consecutive census estimates along with Fredrick, MD? It’s just contradictory to say people won’t move to Washington because of crime as you sit in an area that is growing les… if that was such a black & white correlation, then I’d assume Northern Virginia must have more shootings and carjackings?

You’re talking about 4 years ago, when the entire world was shut down. No one was spared. The entire world, literally. Some places you couldn’t even leave your home. We couldn’t eat in restaurants. This thread is about the end of 2024…. If this thread were “why didn’t DC pass the Secure DC bill 4 years ago”, then I’d be agreeing with you more. But here we are, in 2024, vastly different times than 2020

Washington still isn’t anywhere near its peak population so I’m not sure growth is all but guaranteed.

Basically, the conclusion I get from you is: DC is scary but people will still want to live in it. Seems a bit contradictory to your earlier prognosis that people will start leaving?

Old 03-20-2024, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAmerica_US View Post
There’s no contest between NoVa and DC. If there were, I’m sure Northern Virginia would be winning and you’d be letting us know. My point was, you’re being alarmist about Washington when there’s things across the river you could equally worry about. How can you lecture about whether people will leave (or not move to) Washington when it’s among the strongest growing areas of the DMV for now two consecutive census estimates along with Fredrick, MD? It’s just contradictory to say people won’t move to Washington because of crime as you sit in an area that is growing les… if that was such a black & white correlation, then I’d assume Northern Virginia must have more shootings and carjackings?

You’re talking about 4 years ago, when the entire world was shut down. No one was spared. The entire world, literally. Some places you couldn’t even leave your home. We couldn’t eat in restaurants. This thread is about the end of 2024…. If this thread were “why didn’t DC pass the Secure DC bill 4 years ago”, then I’d be agreeing with you more. But here we are, in 2024, vastly different times than 2020

Washington still isn’t anywhere near its peak population so I’m not sure growth is all but guaranteed.

Basically, the conclusion I get from you is: DC is scary but people will still want to live in it. Seems a bit contradictory to your earlier prognosis that people will start leaving?

I never said people will start leaving D.C.. I said that gentrification in some areas will hit a road block unless crime is gotten under control. If it's not, growth in those areas will slow or cease entirely, that's my prognosis.

Old 03-21-2024, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I never said people will start leaving D.C.. I said that gentrification in some areas will hit a road block unless crime is gotten under control. If it's not, growth in those areas will slow or cease entirely, that's my prognosis.
Well, I can agree with that prognosis, completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: