Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 06:27 PM

9 posts, read 52,400 times

Advertisements

hi,

i'm moving to dc in a few months and i don't know too much about the city. i'd like to live somewhere along the orange/blue line to make it easy to get to work. i've heard there are lots of students in foggy bottom, so that doesn't seem too appealing.

what about the capitol hill south area (anywhere close to the blue/orange metro),...maybe eastern market? first, would this area be safe for a woman living alone? second, any recommendations about where to live in this area? it seems like dc real estate is mostly made up of this giant, managed apartment buildings...is that also true about capitol hill?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 08:00 PM

6 posts, read 31,913 times
Capitol Hill area is in SE of D.C. and there are only a few apartments. You do have a lot of home owners renting out thier basements but you have to a either know someone or just go the neighborhood and look for "for rent" signs.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:25 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,725,428 times
Capitol Hill is very safe due to the large presence of US Capitol Police out there. Past Eastern Market in SE gets a little sketchy. Most people working on Capitol Hill live in Cleveland Park, Adams Morgan, or Van Ness because the apartments are cheaper and the areas are quite nice. The metro commute is real easy.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:26 PM

230 posts, read 859,511 times
I don't know what your budget is, but I have a friend who lives at 215 C street SE and loves it! The building is close to the Capitol South Metro and is in a very safe area. Iused to live in that area and had no problem walking around at night.
Gables, Gables.com - WashingtonÂ*DC Apartments for Rent, Washington Luxury Apartments

Old 04-14-2009, 07:48 AM

9 posts, read 52,400 times
Default how much...

thanks everyone. i can probably afford to spend around $2000/month. @iluvmaddow - i was looking on craigslist and it did seem like there was a large supply of english basements! i'm graduating this year and i definitely want to move above ground.

ideally, i want to live somewhere along the orange/blue line. how are the apartments in foggy bottom? any nice developments there where undergrads won't be keeping me up all night?

Old 04-14-2009, 12:29 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,725,428 times
Foggy Bottom is very expensive due to GW owning most things over there and private apartments able to extract exhorbinant rents from students. McPherson Square is next to the White House and there are some nice rehabbed apartments over as well as a few new buildings. Problem is lack of stores. The growth hasn't caught up with that area.

Downtown tends to be boring and very dull on weekends. West End is near Foggy Bottom and the rents are very high, but the area is great because it is on blue/orange and is walking distance to Dupont and Georgetown.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:42 AM

35 posts, read 142,669 times
Hello,

I may have a reccomendation for an English Basement for you near Eastern Market. please contact me directly.

Regards,
Messier11

Old 04-15-2009, 08:41 AM

180 posts, read 667,011 times
If you can afford $2000, you've certainly got options and you may find a better scene if you're willing to change trains once on your way to work. I'd look into the NW section of the red line like Dupont/Logan Circle, Adams Morgan, Woodley Park, etc.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:12 AM

380 posts, read 1,058,505 times
This is my neighborhood, and it is safe, within reason. After dark the threat looms greater you could end up a victim of crime, but for the most part it is a safe section of the district. If you work in DC then live there and save the commuting time and costs. I have friends who live over in Nova, and listening to them about the commute makes me realize how easy I have it each morning.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:08 PM

345 posts, read 1,015,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by messier11 View Post
Hello,

I may have a reccomendation for an English Basement for you near Eastern Market. please contact me directly.

Regards,
Messier11
I DON'T recommend an "English Basement" for a woman alone in that neighborhood!! Someone can put their foot in the window and climb in!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC