Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 09:23 AM

381 posts, read 815,321 times

Advertisements

Funny, I can say that Silicon Valley is grossly overpriced. Oh, New York too. Seems all the bright lights bring along a fair share of headaches. Boston too.

SO WHATS YOUR POINT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 04:47 AM

656 posts, read 1,421,791 times
quote=dcsfanatic;11337394]Funny, I can say that Silicon Valley is grossly overpriced. Oh, New York too. Seems all the bright lights bring along a fair share of headaches. Boston too.

The point is there could be some-what of a bubble going on, I know Boston is very pricey, real estate there has went down although there is talk about it going up again.

D.C. prices surprisingly are very close to new york and the salaries are much less then silicon valley or even the bay area in many professions although not all but not just one or two.

The media then exaggerates and stereotypes about d.c and its area. in both negative and positive attributives.

SO WHATS YOUR POINT?[/quote]

Old 10-26-2009, 08:25 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,574,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech2enable View Post
quote=dcsfanatic;11337394]The point is there could be some-what of a bubble going on
Really...that's the "point"? Do you know how much home prices have dropped over the past year within the District and close-in suburban counties?

One percent.

So much for your "bubble". Sounds like you're just mad that you missed out on an opportunity to buy into the DC market when it was more affordable. Oh well.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:02 AM

583 posts, read 1,254,293 times
Quote:
The point is that, the wealthy not necessarily higher income not only drive up the price but the media uses it to false portray d.c. somethng it is not and drive it out of proportion.

And how does Media use the 'wealthy' to portray DC as something it is not? How much do you really hear about DC on the media?

since when did DC become the media 'glamor' town or 'it' destination? NYC and LA I understand have much inflated media image for young people as places where money is falling from the sky. I don't think most people around US have this opinion that DC is the place to be and strive to move here out of the blue without any job offers or specific network or family ties like they often do in NYC and LA.

People who have a perception that the job market is strong are usually those who have job offers lined up and as I have said before and you seem to not grasp it, they have a very good idea what the job pays and how much it costs to live here. As far as people living here are concerned:

1) not everyone who lives here chooses to buy, many people rent.

2) people find housing based on their income and their needs, not everyone is aspiring to live in a 3000 sq. ft mansion in the middle of prime Dupont or Georgetown and endlessly complains how they can't afford it like you do. Many people are perfectly happy with less expensive living arrangements and find deals to suit their needs.

3) you can trust that someone living here has a much better idea of what the city is worth for them and what their quality of life is. those who find themselves unhappy either move to other places within the area that suit their needs better to move out altogether. Those who stick around and complain, well, this is their own problem.

4) Contrary to what you are saying, people in this area are not stupid brainwashed drones and don't need enlightenment from some bitter outsider who holds some sort of irrational grudge against this entire area.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:08 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,574,802 times
I'm having a hard time justifying this thread's continued existence. What is Tech saying that he hasn't said a thousand times in half a dozen other threads here? Is there really an angle that hasn't yet been addressed? At the very least, write in a different color.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:

D.C. prices surprisingly are very close to new york and the salaries are much less then silicon valley or even the bay area in many professions although not all but not just one or two.
The salaries are not much less than in silicon valley or bay area. there is no such a thing, we already told you that it's simply a bunch of BS. Salaries in Bay Area are not even double of what you get paid in Texas. I worked for a company that relocated some of its departments to Texas and people relocating there got some salary cuts, but it's not like their salaries got cut in half.

If you think that money falls from the sky in Bay Area in form of some illusive Silicon Valley gold rain and in DC area everyone works directly for Government agencies with their rigid pay scale you are truly naive and need to get out more and talk to more people.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I'm having a hard time justifying this thread's continued existence. What is Tech saying that he hasn't said a thousand times in half a dozen other threads here? Is there really an angle that hasn't yet been addressed? At the very least, write in a different color.

the problem is that tech2enable spreads false information some of which is blatantly untrue. He is also very persistent in propagating this untrue and unproven information into every single thread. he is not simply talking about his subjective experiences or likes or dislikes which is his personal opinion and hard to argue against. He present false bits of info as so-called 'facts' without any supporting evidence or statistics whatsoever.

Following are just certain selected lies frequently brought up in tech2enable posts:

1) salaries in DC are are much lower than what one can get for the same job in SF or NYC. How much lower exactly? In one of the posts he stated that DC pays half of what is paid in SF, which is a blatant lie.

2) DC area is over-hyped by media like no other city. Not a single reference to any front page news or magazine articles aggrandizing DC as some sort of 'money falling from the sky' heaven.

3) DC area hasn't experienced any effects of the RE bubble bursting yet.

4) DC prices and COL are the same as NYC.

5) Vast majority of people in DC area work for the government directly and are all subject to rigid pay scale.

6) a small minority of the high flying government contractors are conspiring against the majority of the 'underpaid' DC population to hike up the prices of middle management homes.

7) 3000 sq. ft home in prime areas of DC such as few blocks of Dupont or Georgetown and such is considered 'middle management' housing and should be affordable for everyone.

If tech2enable would simply state that he feels the quality of life in DC area is much more overrated for what you pay, that would be a subjective opinion I cannot argue against. If he would say Brooklyn is much better than DC, it's nothing more than one of the city vs. city debates and is also based on subjective opinions.

when you compare salaries or RE prices in different areas you must submit at least some links with prices for real properties or present some at least mainstream research on salary levels if you are trying to be so persistent in pushing all this same information into every single thread.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:43 PM

14 posts, read 30,462 times
Quote:
Older hippies? You mean from the 60s and 70s?, as if seattle is the place to call old hippies and not other cities in california and new york?

I am not even sure the old hippies have changed , gotten married, or left the hippist culture, also I've read a lot of hippies have left seattle and its changed, the same can be said for many cities such as SF but I am not sure what you are looking for, it does rain a lot in seattle.
I guess it is just a "figure of speech", the "old hippie" thing. My son is now 25, I've taken care of my father for the last several years until he passed away in Feb. of this year, and I wish for 1989 again.....I guess the grass is always greener on the other side, six of one, half dozen of the other, but those were such great years, the late '80's, and I wish I could go back. I know people say Seattle has changed so much once the money started coming in and development was rampant, but if I could find some place like Seattle was then, I'd move in a second.....

Old 11-02-2009, 03:21 PM

656 posts, read 1,421,791 times
The moderator has indicated that this thread has gotten a bit back and forth, to the previous poster I never argued those points although he accuses me of being misleading.

I presume people could go back and look at other poster's to back up the same conclusions rather than the typical back and forth.

So I'll pause for a bit on that.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:46 AM

28 posts, read 76,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainy Intellectual Type View Post
I would love to leave the DC area. I find the multicultural aspect of it depressing. It seems like everyone just goes into their own little group based on their ethnic and cultural orientation and not mixing with others unless it is absolutely necessary. I would prefer to find a place with some ethnic and cultural diversity but also more similarity.

I find a coldness in the people and hate the type a types that make it so competitive.
Very well put. I feel the same way, and as much as people want to be civil and mean well, they are more comfortable in their own "little group"
which is uncomfortable for me sometimes. The coldness and type A's are everywhere. Just more so here. Where you have alot of people, you have alot of personalities.

Last edited by Jeff9477; 11-05-2009 at 10:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC