Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 02:15 PM

123 posts, read 505,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsfanatic View Post
Wrong again.

Now I do agree that the personal attack by BWALDON was not necessary though.

Personal attack because I told an adult to stop whinning!!! I don't like this area because of this, or that...oh I can't make friends, this town is so political...geezzzz!!!!!where's the pacifier

Old 10-29-2009, 02:49 PM

26,713 posts, read 41,938,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
It's a little funny, when I moved here it was the first time I ever actually knew my neighbors. We weren't/aren't buddy-buddy, but we greet each other and will often help each other out. Maybe it's because I live in a condo complex and everyone walks? It's easier to avoid people if you're just going from the house to a car and back.
I live in a condo complex also and I rarely get greeted. The way I figure it is why would I waste time reaching out to folk who won't reach out to me?

That's ok, I wouldn't want to be friends with my mostly freaky neighbors anyway.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:57 PM

230 posts, read 862,409 times
I can totally understand not being happy here--it took me a while, too--but you need to consider the job market in other cities. If you move back to Newark, will you be able to find a job? Same with Tampa. Or anyplace else in America for that fact. I agree that you should consider getting out of NOVA and look into moving into a livelier neighborhood in DC. I think the key to being happy here is finding your "people"; it's not easy, but you will find that there are folks in the area that share your interests. I know people who took second jobs in the evenings just to meet other people and expand their social network. Others take classes on things they always wanted to learn but never got around to doing it. Volunteering for a cause you feel strongly about is also a good way to meet people.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:55 PM

999 posts, read 2,018,898 times
Let's see...do I hate DC?

1. You have gridlocked traffic on the freeways and major roads every day--including weekends.

2. The public transportation system (Metro) is falling apart at the seams.

3. DC attracts a lot of the Honors Society, Student Class President, Type-A jerkwads who only care about the promotion and more power over other people.

4. The place is a putrid swamp during the summer months and we don't get a REAL WINTER here.

5. The real estate is a tad pricey in case you haven't noticed.

6. You have too much economic and racial inequality between the Upper NW and newly gentrified parts of town vs. the wards in eastern and southeast DC. It's a black vs. white thang.

7. If you hate lawyers, you are gonna really hate DC!

8. Idealistic types who aspire to make the world a better place because they have so much knowledge and experience to offer.

9. No skyscrapers. No skyline. Just ugly concrete Greek/Roman-looking buildings. The office buildings are so 1970s looking.

10. The local professional sports teams really stink. Redskins, Nationals, Wizards, Mystics, and DC United are horrible. Only the Capitals have a close shot at winning a title in their respective sport.

11. Despite gentrification of U Street, Logan Circle and H Street areas, there is too much crime and gangsta activity nearby. Muggings and robberies are too numerous to count.

12. A dictatorial mayor in Adrian Fenty. A clueless school's chancellor in Michelle Rhee. A legendary crack-addicted corrupt scoundrel in Marion Barry. Nuff said.

13. Too many chain restaurants and shops and not enough independently-owned establishments. If you come from NYC or Philly, you know what I mean.

14. People in DC have a hard time saying "Thank You" or "Please".

15. Republicans commute from NoVA and Democrats commute from Maryland. Why is that? Can't Republicans and Democrats live on the same block in this town?

16. Men and women have no fashion sense in this town. If you want to see attractive, stylish, and more friendly people...you won't find it in our District of Columbia.

Other than that, DC is an awesome place.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:11 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,591,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
DC is an awesome place.
I concur.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:46 PM

1,600 posts, read 3,927,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Perhaps the problem is that you're in Northern Virginia. I find that area tends to be heavily concentrated in the wine-sipping politicos of which you speak.

Spend some time in Mt. Pleasant / Adams Morgan / U and 14th etc... during the week (not necessarily the weekend when all the Virginians flood the city). You'll probably change your perception of the city. It's really not at all homogenous and does have a whole lot of really interesting people, but it does have a heavy concentration of highly educated professionals driven by career.
Is there really a difference between DC during the weekdays and DC during the weekends. Granted that the weekend nights scene of Adams Morgan and Dupont Square are insufferable with annoying spoiled preps, flamboyant ghetto posers, and pseudo-politico wannbe yuppies en masse, but I'm not exactly getting the feel that the weekday DC scene is that much better.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:39 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,591,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Granted that the weekend nights scene of Adams Morgan and Dupont Square are insufferable with annoying spoiled preps, flamboyant ghetto posers, and pseudo-politico wannbe yuppies en masse
Take out the politico stuff and that describes the crowd at pretty much any nightlife hotspot in cities across the country.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:58 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,751,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Is there really a difference between DC during the weekdays and DC during the weekends. Granted that the weekend nights scene of Adams Morgan and Dupont Square are insufferable with annoying spoiled preps, flamboyant ghetto posers, and pseudo-politico wannbe yuppies en masse, but I'm not exactly getting the feel that the weekday DC scene is that much better.
Well, I wouldn't call the weekends insufferable or negatively categorize people so flippantly. I've just found a really quirky, interesting vibe and collection of people during the week due to the fact that most of the people out and about live in the city.

The fact that you call it Dupont Square and your user name is "TheFairfaxian" leads me to believe you haven't tried it out in earnest.

That's just been my experience.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:18 PM

1,600 posts, read 3,927,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Well, I wouldn't call the weekends insufferable or negatively categorize people so flippantly. I've just found a really quirky, interesting vibe and collection of people during the week due to the fact that most of the people out and about live in the city.

The fact that you call it Dupont Square and your user name is "TheFairfaxian" leads me to believe you haven't tried it out in earnest.

That's just been my experience.
Oh, believe me when I say that I've tried out almost all I can bear to taste of places like U Street, Adams Morgan, and Dupont Circle, especially during the night.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:23 PM

123 posts, read 505,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I concur.
20yrs and counting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC