Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 07:41 PM

631 posts, read 1,576,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsfanatic View Post
It might help to be a little more specific about your experiences.

But from people who make posts like yours, I'm expecting too much.

I've worked in downtown DC for years and most are just normal people trying to earn a living....like most anywhere else.

I guess in the South or midwest, everyone greets each other with a hug.
well these experiences were for the most part simply me trying to go out and enjoy lunch of dinner somewhere and it was rare that i got a smile or a hello from ANYBODY (except for the street vendors, they're pretty nice). of course where i currently live (northern Colorado) people from here are often described as 'standoff-ish' which i won't entirely dispute, but then again my particular proximity to CU-Boulder allows for encounters with people from just about everywhere.

As for the South yeah people down there are FAR more friendlier, maybe not a hug so much but at least they PRETEND to be somewhat sociable.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I'm sure in your one trip to DC you spent ample time in Capitol Hill, Mt. Pleasant, Columbia Heights, Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle, Petworth, Anacostia, and all the other neighborhoods to make such a bold assessment of 600,000 people.

If you spent time in DC and didn't immerse yourself in frat boys, I can assure you you would realize just how wrong you are.
ahhh WRONG!

I spent my time evenly in just about EVERY CORNER of the District and for me it didn't seem to matter just where i ended up. Even across the Potomac in Arlington people didn't seem to awfully nice.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:53 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,571,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eon-krate32 View Post
ahhh WRONG!

I spent my time evenly in just about EVERY CORNER of the District and for me it didn't seem to matter just where i ended up. Even across the Potomac in Arlington people didn't seem to awfully nice.

Hmm, I'm detecting a pattern.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:27 PM

656 posts, read 1,421,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT13 View Post
What if the family of 4 wishes to live in a 3000 sq ft penthouse apartment near Central Park or in West Village in NYC with parking 500K ain't going to get you far

What if the family of 4 wishes to live in a 3000 sq house in the prime Brooklyn area near subway with easy commute to Manhattan and maybe have another extra unit for rent. 300K ain't going to get you far

If it can get you well in DC it can get you will in new york city.The pricing seems about the same, that was my argument.

Get off your high horse and embrace reality. Don't be a snobby New Yorker thinking he is entitled to move anywhere outside of NYC and be able to buy the prime luxury residence in the middle of the most premium central area for peanuts just because it's not NYC.

Don't try to build your arguments on how unaffordable DC middle management housing is when all you are talking about are premium properties in most expensive areas.

In DC living within 10-15 blocks within a metro station is considered a premium, of course I am not equating that with middle-management housing per say, it was a response to another user's comment.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:31 PM

656 posts, read 1,421,381 times
quote=Bluefly;11658259]So wait ... you're telling me that if I live in DC I'd have to give up my paid entourage and butler service just to get by? OH, the horrors!

Seriously Tech - look at how desperate you've become. What you describe above is a luxurious lifestyle in any urban setting, not the least of which one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the region.

Not necessarily.

Come on. Enough of this. Your claims are absurd. You're trying to cram some suburban dream into an urban lifestyle. Who would be able to live that life in San Fran, Manhattan, LA, or Dupont? No one. I don't know the customs in your native country, but here you are being absurd because your pride won't let it go.

You do realize that studio apartments in New York exceeded $1 million, right? The average apartment, in fact, grew to exceed $1 million. These people do not have anywhere NEAR the life you describe above. Why, oh why, would you hold DC to such a different standard?

Common ignorance, most studio apartments in new york city are not $1 million dollars not even close on a per square foot basis.

Is it, perhaps, that you have been proven wrong and simply won't admit it, so you grasp at the most extreme lifestyle? It's time to stop. Enough of the broken English, the inability to use the simple quote function or understand basic economics. Enough.[/quote]

Old 11-17-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Hmm, I'm detecting a pattern.
oh really? please do elaborate.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:25 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,737,486 times
I think this thread has gone on long enough.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC