Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2009, 10:06 AM

381 posts, read 814,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoMD2008 View Post
brightest? Haha! They are just nerdy people with a couple of degrees.

San Francisco attracts the brightest; LA attracts the pretties, New York attracts the most liberal and DC attracts the cruelest, most ugly (both inside and outside) and souless people.

If you are a person with a dead soul, with desire for power and promiscuity (of course you have to be a man. If you are a woman, then you have to wait with other gorgeous women to sleep with a bald and short typical DC man), with no standard for morals, then DC is for you!

If you are a decent and bright person, staying in this city is unbearable.

Generalize much?

If you've really been to all these places, you'd know you can't really classify people into such neat categories.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:07 AM

583 posts, read 1,252,751 times
Quote:
brightest? Haha! They are just nerdy people with a couple of degrees.

San Francisco attracts the brightest; LA attracts the pretties, New York attracts the most liberal and DC attracts the cruelest, most ugly (both inside and outside) and souless people.

If you are a person with a dead soul, with desire for power and promiscuity (of course you have to be a man. If you are a woman, then you have to wait with other gorgeous women to sleep with a bald and short typical DC man), with no standard for morals, then DC is for you!

Wow, how insightful You just listed some of the most primitive and shortsighted stereotypes about every city. Have you actually ever lived in SF or NY or LA?

And where does your knowledge about the choices of women in DC and "short typical DC man" come from? You know this first hand? Or is this the tabloids?

Maybe you should get away from TV and trash literature a little more often and go meet some people out there and really get to know them.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:09 AM

381 posts, read 814,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afternoonmonsoon View Post
Yes, I also hate it here. I have moved here to be with my fiance. I'm sure there are lots of interesting things going on but for me it feels like the most dull place on planet earth. I am not interested in American politics or chasing dollar bills at all. I am trying to make the most of it but the day we leave this place will be glorious.
I don't mind such perceptions as everyone has different experiences, but it might help if instead of making such broad, sweeping generalizations, you tell us what exciting things you are looking for here and aren't finding.

Or tell us about the exciting places you're lived and all the exciting activities they have there that aren't available here.

And please tell me about these exciting places where people don't like money.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:19 AM

437 posts, read 1,229,400 times
Quote:

Get out much? Geez, you must be real fun to hang out with!

Why aren't you in San Fran - oh yeah, you wouldn't fit in there. You're in DC! I understand you have a dead soul and all that, but are you one of the "waiting, gorgeous women" or a "bald, short" DC male? Hmmmm...

Old 11-05-2009, 11:40 AM

658 posts, read 1,785,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post

Some of my friends fit the description above (by far not all - most refuse to ever mention the schools they attended or their career in social settings, even the really good ones), and they're not bad people or even arrogant. They are just immersed in a reality in which the decisions they make actually do have an impact on thousands or millions of people, so they take their responsibilities very seriously. Maybe that's the attitude you sense. But I don't get why people have a problem with passionate people moving somewhere to maximize their effectiveness.
One thing I've noticed is that many of the people you've described are indeed smart and do have unique jobs but tend to lack the required social skills to excel at small talk or hold down conversations that don't involve themselves or their job-especially when meeting new people. So instead they seem to revert to discuss what they know best: their career and how important they are.

I agree with you that this doesn't necessarily make them bad people, but I disagree with your assumption of these individuals being engrossed in reality, when in fact these people just engrossed in their own self-centered worlds and don't have the comprehension to think outside of that.
Furthermore, your comment about these particular individuals decisions having an impact on so many people is a stretch, at best. You could take that same statement and apply it to fast food employees or factory workers and I doubt you'd hear them act as pompous.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:39 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippingJay View Post
One thing I've noticed is that many of the people you've described are indeed smart and do have unique jobs but tend to lack the required social skills to excel at small talk or hold down conversations that don't involve themselves or their job-especially when meeting new people. So instead they seem to revert to discuss what they know best: their career and how important they are.

I agree with you that this doesn't necessarily make them bad people, but I disagree with your assumption of these individuals being engrossed in reality, when in fact these people just engrossed in their own self-centered worlds and don't have the comprehension to think outside of that.
Furthermore, your comment about these particular individuals decisions having an impact on so many people is a stretch, at best. You could take that same statement and apply it to fast food employees or factory workers and I doubt you'd hear them act as pompous.
Well, whatever. I don't know anybody who can't talk about anything but their job. I'd love to know what percentage they are of the population - 1? And the ones who do favor their job, why is it so wrong to be passionate about what you do? I think a lot of people on here just hate their jobs and are jealous of people who don't.

And, sorry to say, but being an integral player in legislation that redefines entire industries is far from serving fast food. We can be as egalitarian as you would like in order to be p.c., but you can't really make that claim.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:29 PM

658 posts, read 1,785,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Well, whatever. I don't know anybody who can't talk about anything but their job. I'd love to know what percentage they are of the population - 1? And the ones who do favor their job, why is it so wrong to be passionate about what you do? I think a lot of people on here just hate their jobs and are jealous of people who don't.

And, sorry to say, but being an integral player in legislation that redefines entire industries is far from serving fast food. We can be as egalitarian as you would like in order to be p.c., but you can't really make that claim.
If you don't know anybody who can't talk about anything other than their job, then you must know some pretty dull and bland people here. There's nothing wrong with being passionate about what you do, but does that give you an excuse to act like a tool and constantly keep patting yourself on the back for it? At the end of the day, I could care less about where someone works at and how great their responsibilities are. I have my own life and job to worry about than be in awe of someone else.

One of my closest friends here in DC is an economist with the Federal Reserve, and on occasion he'll talk about his job, but most of the time we have far more interesting conversations that have nothing related to do with his job. Perhaps that's why we get along so well.

Oh, and I'm quite happy in my private sector position regardless of the fact that I'm not making "monumental decisions" and then boasting about it during happy hour

Last edited by TrippingJay; 11-05-2009 at 03:03 PM..

Old 11-05-2009, 03:13 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,092,213 times
I don't find it the least bit annoying for someone who's excited about his or her job to talk about it, particularly if they are in a completely different field that I really don't know much about. Why should that be considered boorish conversation, but the height of good manners or enlightenment for them to talk about a foreign country I've never visited or some pet hobby they have? People have a lot of interesting jobs in this town, and such a conversation doesn't have to start, end or include a discussion of their "responsibilities" as such, much less how much money they make.

It's not like everyone can just stare at a TV screen together and celebrate how great the Redskins are this year....

Old 11-05-2009, 04:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsfanatic View Post
I don't mind such perceptions as everyone has different experiences, but it might help if instead of making such broad, sweeping generalizations, you tell us what exciting things you are looking for here and aren't finding.

Or tell us about the exciting places you're lived and all the exciting activities they have there that aren't available here.

And please tell me about these exciting places where people don't like money.
Well I moved here from India. I didn't mean any disrespect to anyone who prefers to be here, just sharing that I dont.

It's not that people don't like money in India. I just find the culture here to be very focused on survival and economics. I have other interests and I know this is not the place for me, that's all.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:50 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,580 times
I think it would be tremendous if some of you focused less on complaining about DC and more on getting the hell out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC