Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2009, 04:15 PM

75 posts, read 133,150 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Anacostia in a 3BR TH. It's been a nice run, but it's time to move on.

We have found a 5BR SFH in Shepherd Park neighborhood of NW. House needs major work, but it is priced right.

Today a family member offered to sell us a 3BR RH w/English basement (and a tenant) 2 blocks from Eastern Market for way below market value. It needs updates, but is in livable condition. Most of our activities, including my work and our child's school is within blocks of this location.

I'm really conflicted. Do we give up the space we've been craving for an awesome location? What makes the most sense from an objective perspective?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 04:29 PM

230 posts, read 859,746 times
How much "major" work does the Shepherd Park house need? If it doesn't kill your budget, I'd go for the SFH with space (just my opinion, though. I have no real estate knowledge). :-)

Old 11-14-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrot2000 View Post
How much "major" work does the Shepherd Park house need? If it doesn't kill your budget, I'd go for the SFH with space (just my opinion, though. I have no real estate knowledge). :-)
It needs a new kitchen and 3 new baths. All would fit into our budget.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:18 PM

220 posts, read 704,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoos30 View Post
It needs a new kitchen and 3 new baths. All would fit into our budget.
I would pick Shepherd Park then.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:12 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,221 times
For me, it would depend on how important the space is vs. convenience of being near your family's activities/work. If your main reason for moving is because of the space, then go with Shepherd Park.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:51 PM

188 posts, read 670,320 times
I would go with Eastern Market. It's prettty nice. I haven't been to Shepherd Park too many times but from what I can tell there's not much around there in terms of amenities. Obviously go with it if space is the issue but AWESOME should still be a big factor and in that category Eastern Market probably wins.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:03 AM

Update: We advised our family members to keep their house on the open market. While it would have been great to live in that location for a while, if we had another child the house would have gone from "small" to "way too small" and we would be back in the same boat that we are in now.

The good news is that there was a parade of people looking at the house yesterday so in all likelihood, they will get a great price for it. Win-win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC