Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2009, 04:48 PM

13 posts, read 25,693 times

Advertisements

I ask for a reason. I am a recent transplant from Atlanta to the DC area. I live here in Alexandria (del ray). I used to by all of my veggies, fruits and spices (especially spices) from there. I am wondering if there is any place in the area where I can get a large variety of international fruits, veggies and spices for a decent price year round.

I know I can't replace it, but I would love to find a place similar to that in the DC metro area. This is the place I used to shop at: Your Dekalb Farmers Market - A World Market - Atlanta's Best Source Of Affordable Organic Food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 12:38 PM

573 posts, read 2,505,828 times
I'm very familiar with the Dekalb Farmer's Market and don't think you're really going to find anything comparable here. There's a farmer's market in Old Town during the summer but other than that I haven't found anything. Eastern Market does have fresh fruits and vegetables but I don't know about the spices (and I've only been during the summer so I don't know what their winter stuff looks like). Anybody else have any insight?

Old 12-17-2009, 03:30 PM

396 posts, read 1,105,369 times
Unfortunately, I haven't found anything in the area quite like the Dekalb farmers market either; we lived in Georgia and would drive to Atlanta to go shopping there. The "farmers market" in the name might be throwing people off --it's more like an ethnic market, but for almost every ethnicity. Plus veggies, fish, and bulk spices.

I live in the Maryland suburbs and there is a place called "H-mart" in Wheaton, and a grocery called "Korean Korner" (Silver Spring) Haven't been in the second one, but H-Mart is like a mini-Dekalb but mostly for asians and hispanics. It does have all sorts of lower cost fruits and veggies. Haven't found a good place to buy the spices in bulk yet.

H-Mart web page: Better Food Better Life H Mart
They do have some locations in Virginia.

Korean Korner - Silver Spring, MD

Bet there may be some similar places in VA, but don't expect them to be as expansive.

Here's a list of ethnic groceries in the area. Hope it helps:
Ethnic Markets in the Washington DC area

Old 12-30-2009, 02:59 PM

13 posts, read 25,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnielisabeth View Post
Unfortunately, I haven't found anything in the area quite like the Dekalb farmers market either; we lived in Georgia and would drive to Atlanta to go shopping there. The "farmers market" in the name might be throwing people off --it's more like an ethnic market, but for almost every ethnicity. Plus veggies, fish, and bulk spices.

I live in the Maryland suburbs and there is a place called "H-mart" in Wheaton, and a grocery called "Korean Korner" (Silver Spring) Haven't been in the second one, but H-Mart is like a mini-Dekalb but mostly for asians and hispanics. It does have all sorts of lower cost fruits and veggies. Haven't found a good place to buy the spices in bulk yet.

H-Mart web page: Better Food Better Life H Mart
They do have some locations in Virginia.

Korean Korner - Silver Spring, MD

Bet there may be some similar places in VA, but don't expect them to be as expansive.

Here's a list of ethnic groceries in the area. Hope it helps:
Ethnic Markets in the Washington DC area
Thanks! We will be checking these out this weekend. I don't mind driving a bit, after all we lived in Atlanta!

Old 12-30-2009, 10:14 PM

396 posts, read 1,105,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine1967 View Post
Thanks! We will be checking these out this weekend. I don't mind driving a bit, after all we lived in Atlanta!

Hah! Isn't that the truth!

Please post if you find a good source of spices, etc that you like!!!

Old 12-31-2009, 12:16 PM

45 posts, read 136,686 times
There is a Dutch Market in Germantown, MD that sells bulk spices. It also sells all of the other things you mentioned plus meats (cooked and raw), cheeses and the most wonderful smelling breads. It is opened on Thursday - Saturday.

I've also heard of an open air market in Takoma Park. I've never been there but I plan on visiting...maybe this spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC