Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 01:27 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

What's the story with "Michigan Park' in DC?

Liveable...what kind of houses, neighborhoodh, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 07:28 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
I don't know. Very nice looking rowhouses but have been mugged almost car jacked in Michigan Park so I'm obviously negatively biased. Although I think it has a lower crime rate than other parts of NE so maybe my incident was isolated.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:44 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
It definitely depends on what part of Michigan Park. Some of the streets off of South Dakota are really nice with spacious lawns but then there are parts around Rhode Island that are sketchy.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:08 PM

123 posts, read 345,128 times
If you are concerned about crime look at the reports. But make sure you are looking at the right ones... MP & NMP is in Ward 5 but parts of NMP/MP are in the 4th Police District. You can go to the DC Police we web site and check the crimes for the areas you are looking.
We found a good mix of Single family homes & Duplex in the areas North of Michigan Ave NE. There have started to be more homes being flipped in this area and the prices are higher on those homes. There are also some (if you can get them before a contractor) that are in good shape but a bit dated listing lower.
We are renting in NW and moving to NMP (NE) and we are liking the vibe over there. While checking out the area we have had a number of neighbors come talk with us, welcoming us to the area. They have monthly community meetings, active civic groups and a paper news letter (electronic too.) It is a solid middle class neighbor that folks are starting to see as a good option in DC. Many residents have stayed for 20-50+ years and often houses were pass down in families but more are coming on the market. And most neighbors seem glad to see new young families coming back to the area and want to get you involved with your new community.
They are 2 rec centers, a library, and college in the area as well as green space, a monetarist, hospital, a couple private schools. There is not much going on as far as shopping or restaurants currently. There is a new Costco among other options within a few miles. More notably there are new development opening in Fort Totten & Brookland areas and others in the pipeline (Art place at Ft Totten for example). Currently you would need to be okay with taking a bus or car most places. Though you could find your self within a mile of a metro with out breaking the bank. And at Ft. Totten you have 3 metro lines to pick from!
As for all the crazy you will hear on this forum about crime and such in NE.... I find it interesting that so many people label all of NE as bad & all of NW are great. They are both HUGE areas with good and bad neighborhoods crime wise (and every other way too.) We rent in the NW and there has been plenty of crime up here. It is a city get a alarm, don't walk alone late and so forth. But in MP & NMP your if you play nice & maybe invest in your new neighborhood your neighbors will look out for you. (The upside of a number of retired residents is they keep a eye on everything for better or worse. Our new neighbor will even bring our trash cans in for us if we get home late!) And I actually looked at the crime reports for our area and happy to say they were fine.
I admit I was not sure are first when we started looking but as the weather warms I see more people out and it is a pretty nice area. NMP was/is a compromise for me I wanted to be in DC I love living in a city with all it has to offer. I would have loved to buy some place already more walk-able but, I couldn't to pay tons for a much smaller space. I am in a larger home, covered parking for 2 cars, good size yard within a mile of a metro & 1.3 from a 2nd 10-15 metro or drive minutes from shopping/restaurants.
It is worth a look!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC