Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 10:43 PM

10 posts, read 29,428 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts of the areas around these three metro stops as compared to one another? I'm in my late 20's, single and will be moving to the area in May and want an area that is somewhat residential but still has accessability to nightlife, restaurants etc. There seem to be a number of good apartment buildings in each area with prices reasonably close to one another. Thanks for the help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 03:14 PM

41 posts, read 134,863 times
You're talking about a stretch that doesn't differ too much ... I think the biggest distinction is between Van Ness and the others. The Van Ness metro is at UDC (community college) and has, in my opinion, a less to offer than Woodley Park and Cleveland Park in terms of things to do. Yes, there are shops, a grocery store and close proximity to a lot of necessities, but it's slightly less "hip" than the other two neighborhoods/metro stops you mentioned. Van Ness is nice if you want to be a little further uptown, which I always think of as more "family oriented" D.C.

Woodley Park and Cleveland Park are more popular as places to hang out and have very good reputations as "nice" places to live. The difference isn't really even a metro stop ... they're simply on opposite sides of the National Zoo (in my mind). Cleveland Park is close to the Uptown theater, offers easy access to a number of trails in Rock Creek Park and has some great restaurants. Woodley Park (as a metro stop) gives you easier access to Dupont Circle, Georgetown and Adams Morgan ... but only by a hair. If you're into running and stuff, there's also a nice path down into the park that takes you downtown. Woodley also is home to a bunch of consignment shops and restaurants.

The difference is so minor between all three (if slightly more minor between Woodley and Cleveland Parks), and if I were on the street, I don't think I'd even get on the train to go from one to the other ... it's no more than a ten minute walk between each. So go with the building that you can best afford and like the most.

Cheers!

Old 03-25-2009, 03:27 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,921,570 times
I would agree with that assessment. Van Ness is the least appealing of the three locations, in part because of all of the concrete near the Metro station.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:47 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Rayma and Claremarie are correct. All three are nice places to live. If nightlife is of paramount importance, choose Woodley Park as you can stumble home from Adams Morgan without using a cab. Dupont Circle as well although that will be a bit of a hike.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:32 AM

79 posts, read 250,567 times
All three are good choices, but obviously the further out on the red line you go, the less attractive it will be in terms of proximity to some nightlife and such. So Woodley is your best bet. In your situation, I would also consider looking in Columbia Heights, which is a lot grittier, but has some very hip places. And Logan & Thomas Circles also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC