Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2010, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,332 times

Advertisements

Hello, in the next few months I will be selling my house here in Cincy and relocating to Washington DC. I will be looking to buy a house in, however I know nothing about the area. Our office is located three blocks from the White House. I know traffic can be a problem so I would like to find somewhere close to there if possible. Also, I am looking for a house no more than 200k. Please give me some help so I have an idea what to start searching for before I get out there. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 06:15 PM

7 posts, read 10,856 times
Check outModerator cut: link removed, please read our terms of service for real estate prices, but you're going to have to accept that Washington-area housing prices are significantly higher than Cincinnati. You'll have to choose between proximity and price. My suggestion: check out some of the neighborhoods that aren't so far along in the process of gentrifying, like Trinidad, Bloomingdale, Eckington, downtown Anacostia. If you can bump your price up to $300k, you can get into some neighborhoods with more amenities and fewer problems. Good luck, and welcome to the area.

Last edited by Yac; 05-06-2010 at 12:54 AM..

Old 05-05-2010, 06:47 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,958,154 times
I had no idea there was still 200K houses in D.C., I was deep in Anacostia one day and a house was being sold for like 250K, and the neighborhood was god awful. Yeah the housing market here is two arms plus one leg. But as the above poster stated, you might be able to find something in neighborhoods that are in the early stages of gentrification. If not that, I would look in the suburbs, Silver Spring or Wheaton possibly, after that Takoma Park, maybe Cheverly. It's a lot of choices in this area if you choose wisely.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:24 AM

884 posts, read 2,643,110 times
Being from Cincinnati you are in for a shock.

Rent for a year.

A 200k house here is NOTHING like a 200K house back in the Nati. 200k "might" get you a dump-a 1 story tiny house w/no garage and 2 brs. IN the hood or a non-english speaking area.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:08 PM

228 posts, read 920,676 times
You won't find a rowhome for $200K in Bloomingdale or Eckington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC