Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 07:36 PM

4 posts, read 33,103 times

Advertisements

What area/s WEST of the Cascades would you all classify as being the sunniest area/s in Western Washington? I understand that 'sunniest' is a very relative term and what passes for 'sunniest' in Western Washington is not the same as 'sunniest' in say Southern California or Arizona, but I'm still interested to hear your opinions. Now, I've heard of the Olympic rain shadow that exists in some places, but I'm guessing that being within the rain shadow probably isn't the same as being the sunniest, rather just not as wet as towns outside the rain shadow, yeah? Just curious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 10:15 PM

617 posts, read 1,201,803 times
I would say Vancouver, WA. Especially in the summer.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:46 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,647,570 times
The Sunniest areas in Western WA are the San Juan Islands and the Sequim area.

All are in the shadows of the Olympics.

More here.

Rainfall varies a lot around Western Washington and Puget Sound

Old 07-10-2010, 01:18 AM

850 posts, read 3,715,277 times
I would like to add that just because an area doesn't get as much rainfall as another area doesn't mean that it has more sun. Sequim, for example, does get quite a bit less rainfall annually, but it's just as cloudy as other areas. I think that anywhere in Western Washington is going to have about the same amount of sun, but there are certain areas that are worse than others. Forks, Aberdeen/Hoquim, any coastal town, and Olympia seem to get the most cloudy days and even more rain. I agree with the other poster in that Vancouver has more sun. Vancouver is also about 10 degrees warmer in the summer and 10 degrees cooler in the winter compared to any town on the Puget Sound.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:15 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,888 times
I know that this is a bit of an oxymoron, but what about sunny areas that get a more normal 30-40 inches of rain a year or more?

Old 07-10-2010, 10:48 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,647,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
. I agree with the other poster in that Vancouver has more sun.
Really? Not according to every statistical analysis I've found. Here's an example.

Vancouver, WA, 143 days of sun.
Seattle, WA , 152 Days of sun.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed (click the climate link)
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed (click the climate link)

Quote:
Vancouver is also about 10 degrees warmer in the summer and 10 degrees cooler in the winter compared to any town on the Puget Sound.
I call BS on that.

And here are some stats to prove it. Every publication I can find shows max 5 degrees here or there. But from what I can tell, it's amazing close with an identical amount of rain as well.

Vancouver, WA Average high/rainfall

June Average: 71/1.6
July Average: 77/.08
January Average: 45/6.1
February Average: 48/4.5

Seattle, WA

June Average: 68/1.5
July Average: 75/.08
January Average: 45/5.4
February Average: 48/4.0

Vancouver Weather - Washington - Average Temperatures and Rainfall
Seattle Weather - Washington - Average Temperatures and Rainfall

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2010 at 05:19 AM..

Old 07-10-2010, 11:01 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Olympia has about 53 inches of rain per year, Shelton has about 66 inches of rain per year. However, Western WA doesn't have torrential rain, so its spread out the year. Western Wa is just cloudy as well. Eastern Wa isn't associated with rain generally averaging less than 30" a year.

If you want Sunny but with more than 30-40" of rain, go to Houston (48"), New Orleans (60"), Mobile (65"), Memphis (52"), Nashville (48"), Miami (58"). I know these are southern cities, but even NY, Boston, and Philadelphia gets way more rain than Seattle.

ETA:

I think it just feels hotter in Vancouver because there isn't as much wind, so that makes it more insufferable.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:35 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
Technically, the Seattle area is in a rain shadow and a bit more sunnier than places in the Cascade and Olympic mountain ranges and foothills, and places closer to the Pacific Ocean coastline.

Technically, every place in Western Washington can actually be sunny any month of the year, including outside the summer(July-September!

Currently, Seattle has been sunny the past 5-7 sunny in a row, with the weather forecast showing 10 more sunny days in a row. I already got a tan a since a few days ago, getting closer to getting a sunburn.

Actually I wish Seattle got 20 more inches of precipitation a year on average instead of 37 inches, but as much/more sunshine and as much/less clouds. 57 inches of precipitation a year would be awesome. 37 almost doesnt sound like enough.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:37 AM

850 posts, read 3,715,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Really? Not according to every statistical analysis I've found. Here's an example.

Vancouver, WA, 143 days of sun.
Seattle, WA , 152 Days of sun.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed(click the climate link)

I call BS on that.

And here are some stats to prove it. Every publication I can find shows max 5 degrees here or there. But from what I can tell, it's amazing close with an identical amount of rain as well.

Vancouver, WA Average high/rainfall

June Average: 71/1.6
July Average: 77/.08
January Average: 45/6.1
February Average: 48/4.5

Seattle, WA

June Average: 68/1.5
July Average: 75/.08
January Average: 45/5.4
February Average: 48/4.0

Vancouver Weather - Washington - Average Temperatures and Rainfall
Seattle Weather - Washington - Average Temperatures and Rainfall

Funny how you spent all that time partly looking for the wrong statistical information. Did you see me mention anything about Seattle when talking about Vancouver having more sunny days? No, I compared it to Forks, Olympia, and other towns, not Seattle.

And I don't care what you say, or should I say what your stats say, about there only being a 5 degree difference. Frequently in the summertime it is 10 degrees hotter than in Seattle. I know this because I have lived in both places and have friends that I frequently correspond with in both places. Also, when we get cold fronts in the winter, it's often 10 degrees cooler in the wintertime because of the Gorge. I think it's fair to say the questioner could infer that there is a difference in temperature from a city in the Puget Sound to Vancouver. And what exactly do your stats on rainfall have to do with anything I posted; I'm confused as to what you're trying to prove there.

If you're looking to nitpick what everyone says based on a couple of degrees or days or other minimal matters, why don't you join congress? Your annoyances would perhaps be more appreciated or useful there as opposed to a posting concerning the weather.

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2010 at 05:18 AM..

Old 07-11-2010, 02:09 AM

617 posts, read 1,201,803 times
Seattle:

Vancouver, WA:

Sequim:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington