Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 12:35 AM

10 posts, read 25,680 times

Advertisements

Two girlfriends and I will be taking our first trip to the Pacific Northwest in March. We're very excited and have quite a bit of research on the area; however, there is still so much we have no idea about.

We originally planned on staying at the National Park Inn, but learned today that they do not have snowmobiling there; only at Crystal Mountain.
Well, Crystal Mountain certainly didn't look that far, but the wonderful woman at the NPI informed me that the road would be closed at that time and we would have to go back toward Seattle and then down to Crystal Mountain which would take about 4 hours! Yikes!

Well, the only place I found for guided snowmobile rentals is in Greenwater and I have no idea how long it would take to get there...I assume less time than Crystal Mountain, but I'm from Florida...we don't close roads for the winter...so I have no clue.

Before we go to Rainier we will be staying a week at the Quileute Oceanside Resort in LaPush so we can enjoy the Olympic Pensiular and we're taking the ferry to Victoria for some ziplining.

We really want to snowmobile and I was really looking forward to taking the new gondola up to the Summit restaurant.

I just don't see how we can make those two things happen if we stay at the NPI...I don't want to dirve 4 hours there and back.

ANY suggestions on my specific dillema and/or on the general area would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 06:20 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,610 posts, read 81,297,702 times
Greenwater is about 1/2 hour from Crystal, toward Seattle. The road is closed beyond Crystal because it's very windy with high cliffs and dangerous in good weather, impossible with snow so they just close it until about April-June, depending on the snow pack.

There's not much lodging in that area except at Crystal.

On the way back from LaPush see if the road to Hurricane Ridge is open,
that's something you shouldn't miss.

Olympic National Park - Hurricane Ridge in Winter (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 01-19-2011, 09:57 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,603,439 times
Definitely take a day and visit the city of Seattle as well...it's not a long drive and is worth a visit. Yep, there are many roads in the mountains that close for the winter...if you saw them in the summer, you'd know why.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:56 PM

BisJoe...thanks for the information. We arrive on a Sunday (early) and plan on stopping at Hurricane Ridge on the way to LaPush. The pictures I've seen online look beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing the link!!

Do you know how long it would take to travel from the NPI to Greenwater? Assuming it's 30 minutes before Crystal...I'm guession 3-3 1/2 hours in March, but I wasn't sure if we would take the same roads.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:58 PM

AlohaHuey...we are having brunch at the Space Needle on the day we arrive in Seattle and then visit Pike Place Market on our day of departure (we have a red eye flight back to Florida). Any other recommendations in Seattle that you think are a MUST see? Thanks for your feedback.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesweethometallahassee View Post
AlohaHuey...we are having brunch at the Space Needle on the day we arrive in Seattle and then visit Pike Place Market on our day of departure (we have a red eye flight back to Florida). Any other recommendations in Seattle that you think are a MUST see? Thanks for your feedback.
If you like music, the EMP (Experience Music Project) is worth a visit. You and your friends can "record" a demo, a souvenier that you can't find anyplace else. Lunch on Alki at Spud Fish & Chips is a quintessential Seattle experience...(at least for me)...perfect fish & chips and a great view of the Sound with the ferries going back and forth. Walking Pioneer Square (though the relocation of Elliott Bay Books makes this less attractive)...Pike Place is a definite must (be sure to visit Beecher's for cheese and the shops across the street from the market too)...just a few ideas; it seems you don't have that much time and I tried to pick things closer to the city. Alki is in West Seattle but is about 15 minutes from downtown (if you don't get lost!)...enjoy your visit, it's a beautiful part of the country up here.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:43 PM

265 posts, read 722,965 times
If you want to take the water taxi across, I think I read it was supposed to be open during winter this year?? Where it docks in West Seattle is the ALKI CRAB & FISH. You will find it in Fodor's and Frommers guide books as a MUST DO EXPERIENCE. YOu just walk up from the boat and there it is. Beautiful views, and good food. Very nice staff. You can also go to Restaurant.com and purchase coupons for a few $ that can save you between $15-30 depending on what you spend. Was a GREAT DEAL with the coupons and we sat and enjoyed the scenery while we ate.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslovettstailor View Post
If you want to take the water taxi across, I think I read it was supposed to be open during winter this year?? Where it docks in West Seattle is the ALKI CRAB & FISH. You will find it in Fodor's and Frommers guide books as a MUST DO EXPERIENCE. YOu just walk up from the boat and there it is. Beautiful views, and good food. Very nice staff. You can also go to Restaurant.com and purchase coupons for a few $ that can save you between $15-30 depending on what you spend. Was a GREAT DEAL with the coupons and we sat and enjoyed the scenery while we ate.
The water taxi operates on a limited schedule during normal commuting hours in the winter.

schedules

Alki Crab and Fish is pretty far down the list of good places on Alki. If you have a car, I'd recommend driving to Alki, stopping at the point to take pictures of Seattle's downtown (there isn't a better vantage point for a cityscape) and then picking a Fish N Chips place down by the beach.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:02 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,185,715 times
Not to change your plans of staying at NPI but... Rooms are really small - building is neat to go into. "Town" which it isn't is Ashford/Elbe area before Paradise. Paradise is 30 miles away NPI around 11 miles into the park with no night life if your looking for any and no other choices other than Ashford for food. You could stay in a vacation rental or B&B in Ashford and have a few choices of food and couple of bars. I can recommend a few if you would like to DM me..I can (if snow) set you up with a horse sleigh ride on the Ashford side not snowmobiles though!

I lived in the area for many years. Yes it will take you around 4 hours to go back around to Crystal/Greenwater. Also depending on traffice in Puyallup and Enumclaw area for the drive.

Greenwater also has cabins in area for rent but think you would like to stay on the Paradise side more. Don't try to do a trip to Mt St Helens and Mt Rainier in one day as it is too long. Have fun. Ask any questions you want for the area!

Old 01-19-2011, 11:02 PM

Thanks Aloha!!! I'm afraid to hear what we would sound like on a demo, but I think that will be so much fun...unless they throw us out for sounding so terrible (quite possible). We were all looking for a recommendation for fish and chips and now we have it!!! Thank you again so much for your input...we really are lost on choosing the best of the best to do...we want to do everything and more...maybe we just won't leave and we'll send for our things. :=)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington