Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 09:19 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,042,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
I may suffer the requisite liberal name-calling for this, but the fact is that the vast majority of crime anywhere in the Columbia Basin - the general region in WA where Moses Lake and Othello are located, is due to the very high numbers of Latino and migrant worker demographics in those areas...................

This is an ongoing issue, especially in places like Yakima, but the state government, for whatever reason, is either too afraid of offending someone, or too oblivious, to care enough to try to do something about it..............

Some liberal sources, like this one:

Mexican workers in Washington fields: Under Two Flags: Seattle Times

will try to spin it that crime is decreasing, therefore somehow not related to Hispanic population.....................
Sorry for cutting up your post.

The crime problem is not the Mexican immigrants. IT IS THEIR AMERICAN BORN CHILDREN.

I have talked to lots of law enforcement persons in the Columbia Basin. They have NOTHING but good things to say about the immigrants. They have a totally different opinion about their AMERICAN BORN CHILDREN.

They are born in one culture and live in another at home. They don't fit in anywhere so look to gangs for acceptance. This is not any different than what any other immigrants group goes through when they move to the US. Watch out for those kids!! The Boston bombers are a classic example of kids that do not adapt to the US.

That is why immigrants rarely show up as crime statistics, except for young, single males and those that chose the drug trade. However, the first generation children are classified as AMERICANS by the crime statistics.

As someone that came here when I was young I can understand what those kids are going through. I was fortunate, not to have the opportunity for gangs AND having enough second and third chances to finally adapt and get accepted (somewhat) by American society.

The other advantage that immigrating to the US in the 1950's the emphasis was on assimilation. The schools, media, and society were going to make me an AMERICAN. That helped. These days we tend to blur the distinction between America and other countries....so that everything is equal.

It isn't...there is a reason people endure incredible hardships just to move here. Their kids, however, have no memory of just how bad conditions were in the home country.

We should start focusing on making immigrants just Americans instead of hyphenated Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 11:34 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,398 times
Quote:
but it certainly isn't fixing the root problem of cultural separation, resulting in a need to "fit-in" with some group, which directly leads to the gang problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

The crime problem is not the Mexican immigrants. IT IS THEIR AMERICAN BORN CHILDREN.

I have talked to lots of law enforcement persons in the Columbia Basin. They have NOTHING but good things to say about the immigrants. They have a totally different opinion about their AMERICAN BORN CHILDREN.

They are born in one culture and live in another at home. They don't fit in anywhere so look to gangs for acceptance. This is not any different than what any other immigrants group goes through when they move to the US. Watch out for those kids!! The Boston bombers are a classic example of kids that do not adapt to the US.

That is why immigrants rarely show up as crime statistics, except for young, single males and those that chose the drug trade. However, the first generation children are classified as AMERICANS by the crime statistics.

As someone that came here when I was young I can understand what those kids are going through. I was fortunate, not to have the opportunity for gangs AND having enough second and third chances to finally adapt and get accepted (somewhat) by American society.

The other advantage that immigrating to the US in the 1950's the emphasis was on assimilation. The schools, media, and society were going to make me an AMERICAN. That helped. These days we tend to blur the distinction between America and other countries....so that everything is equal.

It isn't...there is a reason people endure incredible hardships just to move here. Their kids, however, have no memory of just how bad conditions were in the home country.

We should start focusing on making immigrants just Americans instead of hyphenated Americans.
I completely agree - you basically improved on my comment at the top. I think that we do need to improve the acceptance of legal immigrants.

The problem however, is that many of the Hispanic migrant-type workers, at least in Central Washington, have no interest is assimilating into American society.

I remember 3 or 4 years ago in Wenatchee, that the Hispanic community decided to hold some kind of cultural celebration (I apologize, because I don't remember exactly what celebration it was) - which in itself seems perfectly fine and in-offensive.

Except for the fact that they decided to hold it on September 11.

There was an understandable uproar by the rest of the community who did not agree with holding a festive celebration on the anniversary of such a sombre day. But the Hispanic community either did not care to understand the American point of view, or held the views of their home culture as more important. Either way, showings like this result in a clear message given to the native community (Wenatchee, in this case) that these people do not value assimilation. Showings like this make it clear that they are only interested in gleaning everything they can from our society, while still only valuing their own.

As such, the problem goes both ways - we need to accept them, but they also need to WANT to be accepted. Only then will the gang problem be solved.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:40 AM

175 posts, read 366,431 times
That would be what we call "the base". It's a low income area that's not within city limits. Lots of drug and gang activity. Some areas are better than others. I have lived there, my neighborhood was pretty decent.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:28 AM

Yes

Old 05-02-2014, 10:27 PM

854 posts, read 1,140,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

I think you really do see this happening in certain areas of Central Washington.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:34 PM

854 posts, read 1,140,644 times
Quote:
I completely agree - you basically improved on my comment at the top. I think that we do need to improve the acceptance of legal immigrants.

The problem however, is that many of the Hispanic migrant-type workers, at least in Central Washington, have no interest is assimilating into American society.

I remember 3 or 4 years ago in Wenatchee, that the Hispanic community decided to hold some kind of cultural celebration (I apologize, because I don't remember exactly what celebration it was) - which in itself seems perfectly fine and in-offensive.

Except for the fact that they decided to hold it on September 11.

There was an understandable uproar by the rest of the community who did not agree with holding a festive celebration on the anniversary of such a sombre day. But the Hispanic community either did not care to understand the American point of view, or held the views of their home culture as more important. Either way, showings like this result in a clear message given to the native community (Wenatchee, in this case) that these people do not value assimilation. Showings like this make it clear that they are only interested in gleaning everything they can from our society, while still only valuing their own.

As such, the problem goes both ways - we need to accept them, but they also need to WANT to be accepted. Only then will the gang problem be solved.
Yes this was an awkward time to be in Wenatchee. The effects reverberated for some time after the event. There was quite a lot of complaining about a Mexican flag mural in East Wenatchee if I am remembering correctly. I think the community in Wenatchee should be given a little credit because they have for the most part a split society there. They are still able to hold to traditional values while being pretty acceptable of the hispanic culture and all get along with less crime than anywhere else in the region.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220or221 View Post
can someone get on campus without going through the base
Driving, sure, walking, less so. Big bend is pretty far from the actual town. 5 miles maybe? Maybe less. To go around the base, you'd be walking along the highway. It's not so bad that you would need to avoid it altogether, just not somewhere you'd really want to live unless you had good security and big dogs, or wanted quick access to meth . Compared to some areas of chicago and new york, it's pretty tame.

The bus makes a loop through the main parts of town and to the college once an hour.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:21 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
Well, add another one to the list of possibles moving to Moses Lake. I have applied for a job there. I got an e-mail yesterday from the hiring Manager saying she's going through resumes and will be in touch with me sometime this week to set up an interview. So who knows, might get the gig or might not. But I am interested in talking to her about it. I live and work in Alamogordo, NM, as a Sleep Technician. The hospital I work for is having financial problems and my job may be in jeopardy.

As for Moses Lake, well, I would say this. I want to stay in Sleep Medicine. It's a growing field and this company is hiring right now. That's good enough to work for me and I don't see huge red flags as far as Moses Lake. I think that with the crime and the Latinos if you just stay away from their problems - not necessary them - you'll be OK. They came here looking for work - why is it our problem to assimilate them?

I would need a rental home that accepts pets - anyone have any good ideas? Probably Craigslist - but I don't have the job and I don't really know how good of a chance I have of scoring the job quite yet, either. I'll keep you all posted - this link I'm going to use as my main Moses Lake link while persuing this job.

Oh, another really important reason I'm trying to get this job. My Mom is getting older - she lives in Mukilteo, WA, and I was born in Seattle. If the NBA and Adam Silver ever pulls their heads out and realize that Seattle needs another Sonics - I'd like to be within travel distance of seeing them again. Plus, one sister lives in Okanogan, another one lives in Edmonds and another one lives in Renton. So the whole family lives in Washington except me!

I gotta get back home!

Old 06-11-2014, 09:52 AM

So this one's not gonna go anywhere it looks, this job possibility in Moses Lake. Unless the Flagstaff, AZ, job falls through anyway. The potential employer in Flagstaff is wining and dining me and puttin' my wife and I up in a Hilton in Flagstaff while I do my "in-person" interview there. This trip will include a night working with the Lead Sleep Tech. so that both parties can feel comfortable about the deal before the job offer is made and accepted. I think that's really a smart move on their part to do it this way. This will be my dream job!

The Managing Partner is most concerned I don't leave the job there after getting started. I don't intend to do that. If I get that job that's within an hours drive of the Grand Canyon and is also only 35 miles from Sedona I'm staying put!

Old 11-22-2014, 07:53 PM

Hello - I'm back here looking for this same Moses Lake job. Again. Only now this Sleep Center is more interested than before in hiring a new Sleep Tech. Their Sleep Tech.'s are getting tired. They're having to work 4-5 shifts per week, on a constant basis.

So I'm looking in to it and I'm strongly considering taking their job offer if it indeed comes about. So far I've learned that Moses Lake is a small eastern Washington town of about 21,000 people with some decent grocery stores and some decent restaurants and some crime around an area known as "the base."

From there it seems like a normal small American town. I am looking to learn more about Moses Lake as this process rolls along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington