Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 07:14 AM

22 posts, read 36,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
It's amazing to me that people sneak into a country illegally, then start making demands for their language to dominate in education, business and government. Plus, it sucks when you're outnumbered by over 5:1, as is the case in some eastern Washington towns.
History is almost repeating itself; same story different races. In the past it was okay for a glut of english speaking "illegal immigrants" to come here, demand english be spoken, dominate in education, business and government, etc. The only difference is english isn't being enforced by death on the current "minorities" like it was upon Indigenous nations.

Quote:
We are the minority in our own neighborhood surrounded by people that are here only temporarily to take the money they can make...
History repeats itself...I find it interesting that it was "okay" then but now that it's happening to the dominant culture race it's not okay.

Quote:
The non-English speaker had a duty to learn English before he or she came to my country, legally or otherwise, at least enough to function a bit. I've stopped being the enabler for not doing so.
Too bad the english speakers didn't consider that when they first came here.

I also can't forget that the "dominant culture race" mostly descends from the very first welfare recipients of this country. Charity that was rewarded with attempts of extermination, some of which was successful. Like what has been said before; the only promise the english speakers kept was that they would take the land and they did.

Quote:
That's why we have to dig in.
I have compassion for you but I have to be honest that there's a part of me that acknowledges that what goes around comes around historically. It always does.

Quote:
We used to root for the Indians against the cavalry, because we didn't think it was fair in the history books that when the cavalry won it was a great victory, and when the Indians won it was a massacre. ~Dick Gregory

I'm not trying to offend anyone. I'm just pointing out the irony I'm reading in the posts above as well as reminding you that there are people reading these boards who's languages, culture and religions are still affected by the first "illegal immigrants".

permissum constupro caveo

Old 03-20-2011, 11:19 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,532,176 times
I don't deny in any way that the Indians got hosed. They did, though the biggest hosing was by disease. Absent that, they might have had a chance to crush European settlement. Probably their best move, especially if they could unite. Unfortunately, they didn't have crystal balls, and they lost about 90% of their people to disease in many cases. Bad recipe for protecting your culture. What is amazing is how much they did preserve.

However, I didn't live then. I've never been in a position to oppress Indians, though a few have oppressed me a bit, not enough to make me generalize. I live now, and I live where I live, and I'm not happy about what I see, and I'm taking a stand on it. This is a bad idea.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:48 PM

47 posts, read 107,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myhedhurtz View Post
History is almost repeating itself; same story different races. In the past it was okay for a glut of english speaking "illegal immigrants" to come here, demand english be spoken, dominate in education, business and government, etc. The only difference is english isn't being enforced by death on the current "minorities" like it was upon Indigenous nations.

History repeats itself...I find it interesting that it was "okay" then but now that it's happening to the dominant culture race it's not okay.

Too bad the english speakers didn't consider that when they first came here.

I also can't forget that the "dominant culture race" mostly descends from the very first welfare recipients of this country. Charity that was rewarded with attempts of extermination, some of which was successful. Like what has been said before; the only promise the english speakers kept was that they would take the land and they did.

I have compassion for you but I have to be honest that there's a part of me that acknowledges that what goes around comes around historically. It always does.

I'm not trying to offend anyone. I'm just pointing out the irony I'm reading in the posts above as well as reminding you that there are people reading these boards who's languages, culture and religions are still affected by the first "illegal immigrants".

permissum constupro caveo

This stance is a joke. Most civilized nations, including Russia, Australia, Germany, France, England, and many others have horrendously bloody histories involving genocides, bloody conquering of land, and many other sad and sickeningly unfair practices and policies. This is the way the world works. At this point I want to say "That doesn't make it okay, but.." but "okay" is a completely relative term so the statement would be meaningless. This is the way the world works. Pretty cruel, right? Trying to use it to label people living hundreds of years later as hypocrites (your intent shines through) is a real stretch.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:45 PM

22 posts, read 36,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61987 View Post
Trying to use it to label people living hundreds of years later as hypocrites (your intent shines through) is a real stretch.
Sorry for the belated response. And thanks for thinking for me although this intent you bring up never crossed my mind. I was simply pointing out that history is repeating itself. I'd also like to remind you anyone else that thinks it's "over" and only happened in the past, it's not. Treaties are still being violated and the destruction of entire cultures, races and communities are still on going. This is just as relevant now as it was hundreds and thousands of years ago.

If that's the way to world works(accept it happening right?) then there should be little protest going on in this thread and it's not cruel for things to be this way as was pointed out in the previous post. Thank you for clarifying that point.

I'll leave you with something I read on the net that applies to today as well:

History has never been kind to people who failed to control their leaders.

moderator interpose: discussion should be taken to the P&OC forum. thread now temporarily closed.

Last edited by scirocco22; 04-18-2011 at 04:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington