Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 09:18 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,932,037 times

Advertisements

Is there any particular reason why you are focusing on the WA coast? From what I hear the Oregon coast is usually considered better, though most of the towns are very small with their industry focused on tourism. However Coos Bay/North Bend is of similar size to Aberdeen/Hoquiam . Coos bay is about 5F warmer in the winter than Aberdeen, but then it's about just as much cooler in the summer. You can look at the average climate tables of both in the wiki article. Not sure how they compare economically, but Coos Bay grew by 2.5% since 2010, while Aberdeen shrunk by 0.8%. That being said Coos Bay doesn't have a Home Depot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 10:55 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Is there any particular reason why you are focusing on the WA coast? From what I hear the Oregon coast is usually considered better, though most of the towns are very small with their industry focused on tourism. However Coos Bay/North Bend is of similar size to Aberdeen/Hoquiam . Coos bay is about 5F warmer in the winter than Aberdeen, but then it's about just as much cooler in the summer. You can look at the average climate tables of both in the wiki article. Not sure how they compare economically, but Coos Bay grew by 2.5% since 2010, while Aberdeen shrunk by 0.8%. That being said Coos Bay doesn't have a Home Depot.
I don't know how long people moving to WA/OR coastal areas are planning to live there. Those beautiful OR coastal towns, some of them with quite a few amenities and attractions, are at sea level. They'll be inundated when sea level rise happens. Half of Tillamook, the main part of town, is in an estuary, for example. Newport looks like a great place to live, but it won't fare much better, though it's got a bit more elevation than Coos Bay. at least. Also, if you go onto the OR forum, everyone will rush to tell you about the tsunami risk. I've never heard anyone on the WA or CA coasts talk about this, as if it were an imminent danger, with the possible exception of Humboldt and Del Norte Counties, bordering Oregon.

An exception to the sea-level rise risk in OR is Brookings, just north of CA, which is situated on a bluff.

Those coastal areas get strong winds, too.

Old 11-17-2020, 01:54 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,932,037 times
Wouldn’t Aberdeen be destroyed in a tsunami too though? It’s very low elevation as well. I guess the safest coastal town would be Astoria since it’s built on a large hill.

Old 11-17-2020, 03:11 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Wouldn’t Aberdeen be destroyed in a tsunami too though? It’s very low elevation as well. I guess the safest coastal town would be Astoria since it’s built on a large hill.
Probably. I was wondering the same thing in relation to sea-level rise.

Old 11-19-2020, 10:28 AM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Quote:
For both Aberdeen and Hoquiam, there is an elevation rise to the north ending in a ridge ("the hill") and plateau, encompassing the "better" parts of town due to having been out of the floodplain and more likely to have been above low-lying pulp mill pollution. Residents of the "flats" (floodplain), where the "workers" lived, do have "somewhere to run," in other words.

The Ocean Shores and Westport peninsulas would take the brunt of any tsunami wave.

Old 11-19-2020, 10:49 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times
Having lived in the Elma valley area I can say with some certainty that there are areas of lower cost real estate in Grays Harbor county that offer real bargains. The hills of north Aberdeen, the Central Park area between Montesano and Aberdeen, the south sector of Aberdeen in the hills, and many in town bargains in the old genteel neighborhoods. The city of Aberdeen is and always was the domain of the timber giants who ran the city and county.

Extractive economies like that of the timber towns have been a disaster for the citizenry. Grays Harbor county, like Harlan county Ky, has been used up and forgotten by those who used it for their gain and left it to rot. Poverty, crime, homelessness, amid a feeling of defeat, the city has failed to rally, so, if you need to work, it won't be a good choice of places to move to. On the other hand, retirees are welcome to live in some of the better parts of that scenario and actually have a good life.

Old 11-19-2020, 01:58 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Lots of Astoria could be inundated, especially the commercial part of town, and the main highways in and out. They're at the bottom of the hill.

Last edited by jacqueg; 11-19-2020 at 02:12 PM..

Old 11-20-2020, 10:43 AM

5,362 posts, read 5,136,516 times
I know there's issues with building right along the coast, but I'm surprised that there is not more tourism and development between the coast and the Olympic range. It doesn't look as rugged as coastal Oregon and I'd think it would be a cool spot to live or visit to see the rainforest part of the PNW. I'm surprised somewhere like Forks is not a bigger establishment. I had wanted to visit the wet coastal side of Washington, but was discouraged when I found it would be a lengthy drive from the Seattle airport and there wasn't much lodging available on the northwest tip of the state.

Old 11-20-2020, 01:21 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,255,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I know there's issues with building right along the coast, but I'm surprised that there is not more tourism and development between the coast and the Olympic range. It doesn't look as rugged as coastal Oregon and I'd think it would be a cool spot to live or visit to see the rainforest part of the PNW. I'm surprised somewhere like Forks is not a bigger establishment. I had wanted to visit the wet coastal side of Washington, but was discouraged when I found it would be a lengthy drive from the Seattle airport and there wasn't much lodging available on the northwest tip of the state.
True. The remoteness of the Forks Area is not near any major hub where people go. But if you like isolation, and rain, that's the place you want to be, for some people.
A note. That is where the Twilight Saga Series of 5 Romance films were shot, if you are into those type of films.

Old 11-20-2020, 01:56 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,939,636 times
It does seem rather surprising that there isn't more development in that area, though a lot of the land is either national federally owned or on reservations. That said, I feel like much of the appeal to the Olympic Peninsula is the isolation itself- you definitely feel "out there" when exploring.

FWIW, there's a decent amount of development on the north coast, and it wouldn't surprise me to see places like Port Angeles grow substantially in the next few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington