Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 04:48 PM

27 posts, read 60,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
All I know is that it's humid and damp here most of the year, but also cool so the humidity isn't miserable like in the south. Summers here are dry compared to the east and south.
I've lived most of my life in the beautiful (but humid summer) east coast and in the south (Houston), and for lesser periods in western Oregon and southern/coastal California. Let me tell ya, any humidity in the summers of western Washington/Oregon is NOTHING compared to the summer humidity of the south and east coast. The people of southern California would sometimes about some summer humidity (with highs in the upper 70s), and i just laughed inside myself . If one is used to very dry summers and colder snowy winters like in eastern Washington, then perhaps that person will notice the summer humidity of western Washington, while to an easterner or southerner, western Washington's "humid summers" that are, at the same time, much cooler, will be heaven to such persons. It's all in one's preference and it's all relative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 06:02 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenerpastures79 View Post
I've lived most of my life in the beautiful (but humid summer) east coast and in the south (Houston), and for lesser periods in western Oregon and southern/coastal California. Let me tell ya, any humidity in the summers of western Washington/Oregon is NOTHING compared to the summer humidity of the south and east coast. The people of southern California would sometimes about some summer humidity (with highs in the upper 70s), and i just laughed inside myself . If one is used to very dry summers and colder snowy winters like in eastern Washington, then perhaps that person will notice the summer humidity of western Washington, while to an easterner or southerner, western Washington's "humid summers" that are, at the same time, much cooler, will be heaven to such persons. It's all in one's preference and it's all relative.
So true. Someone on the West Coast complaining about humidity is like someone living in a remote Alaskan village complaining about traffic.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:30 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,040,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
So true. Someone on the West Coast complaining about humidity is like someone living in a remote Alaskan village complaining about traffic.
My wife grew up in the mid-west. She has a thing about humidity. Can't handle the Bay Area, Hawaii, or Seattle during the summer due to humidity.

I really do not notice the humidity in Seattle until it hits 80 degrees and then it becomes unbearable for me. My wife quits long before that.

So Baja instead of Hawaii and Arizona instead of California.

Everything is relative.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:20 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,823,284 times
On my way back for another two week work stay in tri cities. Glad to be leaving the humidity behind! 90 degrees of dry heat is so much more tolerable than 70 degrees of humidity, even if it is less in seattle than compared to the midwest and east coast!

Old 09-05-2011, 02:21 PM

148 posts, read 389,431 times
I currently live in Houston and my fiance and I may move to Seattle. The weather in Seattle sounds beautiful compared to Houston. This summer in Houston has been ungodly. 50+ days of 100 degrees or higher with overnight lows between 80-85. This weekend it was finally cooled off. However, last weekend it was 110 and it was still 94 degrees at 11pm. Oh, its not an Arizona dry heat. The humidity and dew points are through the roof and that is why we didn't cool off at night. I grew up in Connecticut so I really miss the 4 seasons. Washington sounds much more to my liking.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:27 AM

291 posts, read 948,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpimus View Post
I grew up in Connecticut so I really miss the 4 seasons. Washington sounds much more to my liking.
Well I may be mistaken, but I don't think you are going to see the "four" seasons in Seattle area. At least not like what you remember in Connecticut. Granted it will be much closer than Houston. I am from (and still living in) northern Indiana. My inlaws lived an hour north of Seattle and I remember our visits throughout the years. Fall is not as colorful and spring is much more suttle as well.
I am sure someone living in the area will give you a better description and maybe correct my observations. But from another midwesterner, not the same effect. Winters here can be long and hard and when you get that first glimpse of Spring...wow, such beauty (crocous popping up through snow/ice....)! Don't get me wrong. I find the PNW loaded with its own spectacular beauty(mountains,oceans....) or I would not be wanting to live there as well!

Peace and good luck,
WC@H

Old 09-11-2011, 12:37 PM

635 posts, read 1,655,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Thought I'd compile a little info here for potential movers wondering about the weather. Of course I'm keeping it general and splitting it between the eastern and western halves of the state. If anyone has anything to add about Washington weather, or just want to discuss the weather in your own area of Washington in general (ala the weather thread in the Alaska forum), let's do that here.

(Since this is for the entire state and not just Seattle, I ask mods please not to merge this with the Seattle weather thread. Thanks).

1) Western Washington features a somewhat mildly humid (though still more than I like!) summer with temperature averages during the day being anywhere from 65 to 77 degrees, depending on where you are. The nights cool off to the upper 40s to low to mid 50s most nights. Again, depending on where you are in Western Washington. Usually once per summer we get some kind of heatwave where temperatures can stay in the mid to high 80s, and at times low 90s, for a few days at a time.

2) Coastal Washington is the most mild, and even in summer you will very easily have fog and dew on the ground in the morning, which may or may not burn off by noon. Rains more in the summer too than the Puget Sound area, as well as all year round.

3) Western Washington winters are rainy everywhere (yes, yes, there are some rain shadows where totals are much lower than other surrounding areas, but don't let that fool you!) and feature cloudy and overcast skies a majority of the time. Wintertime temperatures on average can be from about 40 to 50 degrees during the day, and from about 30 to 38 degrees during the night. Again, location depending. Cold snaps can and do happen, there is usually at least one per year that sends temperatures below freezing for a day or two (or sometimes more) at a time, but these cold snaps are usually accompanied by dry air and clear skies. Sometimes when a system is moving through at the same time, that's when we see our most significant snowfalls (usually ever two to three years, sometimes more).

4) Eastern Washington features a hot but dry summer. Humidity is often very low (just how I like it!) and average daytime temperatures during the summer can range from about 80 to 90 degrees, once again location depending. Some areas of Eastern Washington regularly top out into the 90s and low 100s many days over the summer. Summer average lows can be anywhere from about 50 to about 65 degrees, and again location depending.

5) Eastern Washington winters are cold. Daytime highs during winter average from about 30 to 40 degrees, with lows in the lower 20s and teens in many places. This is the time of year that Eastern Washington also sees the majority of its precipitation, and snow can easily fall and stick around for a while. Some areas get snow more than others, and some have it sticking around more than others.

So if you don't like rain, cloudy skies, mild summers, or even mild winters, Western Washington is not for you.

If you don't like lots of dry heat, cold winters, or snow, Eastern Washington is not for you.

If you don't like any of that, Washington State is not for you, period!

One more thing, due to our latitude, we do see pretty big differences in daylight hours between winter and summer. While (obviously) not as extreme as Alaska, it is something else to take into consideration, especially if short hours of daylight bother you. (I'm talking about total darkness BEFORE 6pm in the winter! On the other hand, complete darkness doesn't come until about 10pm in the summer. Sunrise is also after 7am in winter, and at about 5am in the summer).
The daylight/winter/summer hours are similar in Missouri as well. I do not think that is very unique. Summertime...you see sunrise before 6 and sunset after 9. Winter...sunset just after 5pm and sunrise after 7am.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
The daylight/winter/summer hours are similar in Missouri as well. I do not think that is very unique. Summertime...you see sunrise before 6 and sunset after 9. Winter...sunset just after 5pm and sunrise after 7am.
Interesting! I would have thought the difference would be more. But I just compared Seattle to Kansas City.

Seattle, Washington - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

Kansas City, Missouri - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

I swear I remember the differences being bigger than that! Especially where twilight time is concerned!

EDIT: Actually looking at it again, the differences are almost an hour around the solstices.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:10 AM

635 posts, read 1,655,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Interesting! I would have thought the difference would be more. But I just compared Seattle to Kansas City.

Seattle, Washington - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

Kansas City, Missouri - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

I swear I remember the differences being bigger than that! Especially where twilight time is concerned!

EDIT: Actually looking at it again, the differences are almost an hour around the solstices.
Those are interesting charts...I'll have to remember those. Daylight/night hours are probably the only similarities btw WA and MO...LOL

Old 10-08-2011, 01:59 PM

I am cross posting this from the Seattle forum. Neither city listed below (Seattle and Spokane) is fully representative of their respective sides of the state (in fact depending on where you are the differences can be huge, such as much wetter areas, much drier areas, areas that get hotter, areas that get colder, etc), but it helps give a clearer idea of kinds of seasonal patterns to expect on either side of the state:

------------------------------

This is Seattle according to weather.com:

month = average high / average low // record high / record low // average precipitation

jan = 47 / 37 // 64 / 18 // 4.81 inches
feb = 50 / 37 // 66 / 19 // 3.43 inches
mar = 54 / 39 // 78 / 28 // 3.51 inches
apr = 59 / 43 // 83 / 32 // 2.77 inches
may = 64 / 48 // 89 / 35 // 2.16 inches
jun = 70 / 52 // 92 / 42 // 1.63 inches
jul = 76 / 56 // 96 / 48 // 0.79 inches
aug = 76 / 57 // 93 / 47 // 0.97 inches
sep = 71 / 53 // 93 / 42 // 1.52 inches
oct = 60 / 47 // 87 / 29 // 3.41 inches
nov = 51 / 41 // 66 / 20 // 5.84 inches
dec = 46 / 36 // 62 / 10 // 5.43 inches

I notice while doing this that they have updated the averages. Slightly higher than the last time I looked at them. (by about once degree in both summer and winter). I also think these are as recorded in Downtown Seattle. The outlying areas are slightly different, especially when records are considered.

Here is what has been recorded both at Seatac and at Boeing Field:

month = average high / average low // record high / record low // average precipitation

jan = 47 / 37 // 67 / 0 // 5.57 inches
feb = 50 / 37 // 70 / 1 // 3.62 inches
mar = 54 / 39 // 78 / 11 // 3.72 inches
apr = 59 / 42 // 87 / 29 // 2.71 inches
may = 65 / 47 // 93 / 16 // 1.94 inches
jun = 70 / 52 // 98 / 38 // 1.57 inches
jul = 76 / 56 / 103 / 25 // 0.70 inches
aug = 76 / 56 // 99 / 44 // 0.88 inches
sep = 71 / 52 // 98 / 35 // 1.50 inches
oct = 60 / 46 // 89 / 19 // 3.48 inches
nov = 51 / 40 // 74 / 0 // 6.57 inches
dec = 46 / 36 // 65 / 6 // 5.35 inches

(I believe July record low of 25 should actually be 35 and is a typo. The record low of 35 is what is given on another source I checked)

Here are the city-data charts on weather for Seattle:

Now compare this with the largest Washington state city east of the Cascades:

Spokane, Washington (from weather.com)

jan = 34 / 25 // 62 / -30 // 1.79 inches
feb = 40 / 26 // 63 / -24 // 1.38 inches
mar = 49 / 32 // 74 / -10 // 1.61 inches
apr = 57 / 37 // 90 / 14 // 1.28 inches
may = 67 / 44 // 97 / 24 // 1.62 inches
jun = 74 / 50 // 101 / 33 // 1.25 inches
jul = 83 / 56 // 108 / 37 // 0.64 inches
aug = 83 / 56 // 108 / 35 // 0.59 inches
sep = 73 / 47 // 98 / 22 // 0.67 inches
oct = 58 / 37 // 87 / 7 // 1.18 inches
nov = 42 / 30 // 70 / -21 // 2.30 inches
dec = 32 / 23 // 60 / -25 // 2.30 inches

and the city-data charts of Spokane:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seattle according to Wikipedia: Seattle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Spokane according to Wikipedia: Spokane, Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington