Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 07:51 AM

35 posts, read 54,190 times

Advertisements

Seattle is considering raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour. As an outsider, I'm thinking that if I buy a house in Washington, then the taxes and cost of living will increase drastically once this law is passed. What is the opinion of the current residents? Do you see Washington as being unaffordable for the average family in the near future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 08:27 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,646,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_moon View Post
Seattle is considering raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour. As an outsider, I'm thinking that if I buy a house in Washington, then the taxes and cost of living will increase drastically once this law is passed. What is the opinion of the current residents? Do you see Washington as being unaffordable for the average family in the near future?

raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour it is just a dream and a stupid one. The cost of good are going to just go up two fold .

It is unaffordable for the average family now IMO. I only make 35 a year take home and barely make ends meet. I am one mistake away from being homeless like if i get hurt and have to miss work or get a speeding ticket I am living on the streets.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:37 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,777,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_moon View Post
Seattle is considering raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour.
Seattle does stupid things all the time, but Seattle is too smart to do the above.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:11 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,452,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour it is just a dream and a stupid one. The cost of good are going to just go up two fold .
Just to forestall any "*******" or "repuklican" insults, I do not have an opinion one way or the other on raising the minimum wage.

But history has shown that when minimum wage is increased, costs do not go up in any significant way. In fact they usually stay the same and in some sectors (fast food, discount stores,) actually go down due to increased demand and spending power among those affected. The economy of affected locations in strengthened over all while such things as food stamp usage and uninsured health costs go down. Not to mention a decrease in petty crime rates.

Yes, some small companies might go out of business. A small percentage of people might lose their jobs, but overall the impacts are positive to both those affected, and the community in general.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post

But history has shown that when minimum wage is increased, costs do not go up in any significant way.
Cost in the long term DO rise. In the short term businesses fire employees, cut hours, cut costs, and invest in innovation. Some flat out cheat and hire illegal workers.

Quote:
The economy of affected locations in strengthened over all while such things as food stamp usage and uninsured health costs go down. Not to mention a decrease in petty crime rates.
No, as unemployment grows, so does dependency on welfare/crime. The fastest way to kill jobs is to raise the minimum wage.

Quote:
Yes, some small companies might go out of business. A small percentage of people might lose their jobs, but overall the impacts are positive to both those affected, and the community in general.
No, the negatives greatly outweigh the few if any positives. Why do you hate prosperity, jobs, and high quality of life? Crony govt. wage tinkering = what killed Detroit.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:30 AM

611 posts, read 1,206,139 times
Quote:

I would think the hardest ones hit would be the small business owners. Perhaps this is why so much of the country has become one chain store after another.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:32 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,415,708 times
Quote:
Just to forestall any "*******" or "repuklican" insults, I do not have an opinion one way or the other on raising the minimum wage.

But history has shown that when minimum wage is increased, costs do not go up in any significant way. In fact they usually stay the same and in some sectors (fast food, discount stores,) actually go down due to increased demand and spending power among those affected. The economy of affected locations in strengthened over all while such things as food stamp usage and uninsured health costs go down. Not to mention a decrease in petty crime rates.

I agree with this completely. Most areas with higher wages tend to fair better in recessions too. Australia did and I can say from experience, so did San Francisco which has a minimum wage of 10.55 hr. The unemployment rate in that city remained lower than the rest of CA which has a min. wage of 8.00, lower than Washington's and did worse during the recession. The more money people make, the more they tend to spend in general. No sure how that would hurt an economy.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:33 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,415,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Cost in the long term DO rise. In the short term businesses fire employees, cut hours, cut costs, and invest in innovation. Some flat out cheat and hire illegal workers.

No, as unemployment grows, so does dependency on welfare/crime. The fastest way to kill jobs is to raise the minimum wage.

No, the negatives greatly outweigh the few if any positives. Why do you hate prosperity, jobs, and high quality of life? Crony govt. wage tinkering = what killed Detroit.
This is just not true for the reasons mentioned.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I agree with this completely. Most areas with higher wages tend to fair better in recessions too. Australia did and I can say from experience, so did San Francisco which has a minimum wage of 10.55 hr. The unemployment rate in that city remained lower than the rest of CA which has a min. wage of 8.00, lower than Washington's and did worse during the recession. The more money people make, the more they tend to spend in general. No sure how that would hurt an economy.
If Fresno had the highest minimum wage in California, nobody would live there. Only an ultra wealthy city like SF could survive with and desire such an attack on the poorest and less connected in society. Ultra wealthy SF loves pricing away unskilled labor away from their city. Very few other places are wealthy enough to get away with this evil.

In the real world where finances are tight, a minimum wage increase would be disastrous, especially to the poor, unskilled, and teenagers. I understand SF likes Ivy Leaguers flipping burgers, but in the real world that should be some kid earning some car/college money.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
This is just not true for the reasons mentioned.
It is true. Just do the math. Artificially increasing labor costs = less jobs, more under the table jobs, more investment in innovation in products that decrease labor input, and in the long run INCREASED COSTS!

So less jobs, less prosperity, higher costs. If you hate poor/unskilled people, raise the minimum wage to do them tons of harm. Raise the minimum wage to become a city of underachieving college graduate burger flippers and baristas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington