Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 07:09 PM

8 posts, read 9,919 times

Advertisements

Looking to move from Ohio to Washington and start a business. Any suggestion on a city.

Things I'm looking for
Great School System
Low Crime Rate
Large College Grad Rate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 07:22 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Hi, welcome to the forums. You left something out in your wish list, which would be something like "Pro-Business Climate" - let me suggest Idaho as a better destination. Keep in mind that public school systems do not really run to great any more than fast food joints do.

The Business and Occupation Tax makes WA business-unfriendly. I like it here but am working for a corporation. My wife briefly ran an interpreting business, among other issues, the fact that the B&O tax takes a % of your gross income was the final straw that made us decide to close the business.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Hi, welcome to the forums. You left something out in your wish list, which would be something like "Pro-Business Climate" - let me suggest Idaho as a better destination. Keep in mind that public school systems do not really run to great any more than fast food joints do.

The Business and Occupation Tax makes WA business-unfriendly. I like it here but am working for a corporation. My wife briefly ran an interpreting business, among other issues, the fact that the B&O tax takes a % of your gross income was the final straw that made us decide to close the business.

My child's education if more important then profits to me, but thanks for your opinion.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:40 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
For the needs you mentioned, you would do well living in Mercer Island or Bellevue, with the business in Bellevue. Mercer Island is a real bedroom community with great schools and homes starting at about $700,000. Bellevue is also high priced with great schools but still has some older fixers under $300,000. Bellevue commercial rent space is also expensive, I was paying $3,000 for 900 sf retail with 1,000 sf warehouse and they have raised it since, despite the economy and vacancy rate. The B & O tax is on gross sales whether or not you make a profit, but we do still have many well paid workers being hired at Microsoft, Boeing, Google and Amazon.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:14 AM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking To Leave Ohio View Post
My child's education if more important then profits to me, but thanks for your opinion.
In that case you probably should consider home schooling or a private school.

That said the Tri-Cities area schools are decent, driven by the high PhD count and all in the local population.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:

That said the Tri-Cities area schools are decent, driven by the high PhD count and all in the local population.

thanks for your opinion.

Last edited by Looking To Leave Ohio; 08-25-2011 at 12:57 PM..

Old 08-26-2011, 07:31 AM

20 posts, read 44,150 times
I too am moving from OH to WA in December. Can't wait to get out of the Midwest altogether. May I ask why you are moving from OH?

Old 08-26-2011, 08:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,725 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:

That's what I had to do till grade 10, then my kids did 'free' college Running Start (compliments of my $33/ DAY WA Property tax.)

If I was to be headed to a good community with decent PUBLIC schools, I would personally stop the bus (moving van) in Sheridan or Laramie WY. If you can take the heat go to TX (probably Austin for your 'pedigree desires'.

If you are fixated on WA, then (1) Bellevue (if money / CoL is no object). (2) San Juan Islands if good school AND Social / good neighbors are important.

If you DON'T need any WA consumers for your Business, then (3) Camas WA.
(10 minutes to 'Sales-tax-free' OR (and PDX), which is a terrific airport to 'getaway'. (required sun breaks in Winter + trips to OH to enjoy their great summer weather.)

I would add Bellingham too (BC is a great place for recreation, and the international enclave only 40 minutes from Bellingham is a terrific place to immerse your kids into more of what the world offers. That said, if you are SERIOUS about your kids edu... Move and do business from Singapore. I have several USA friends who did that for their kids and it worked very well... their kids are all graduated from ivy leagues and with GREAT $xxx,xxx international jobs. (100% free rides, due to PERFECT SAT ACT scores & fluent in 3+ languages + world politics)

I have several business advising clients / day, and do Economic Development in my region. I can certainly affirm Mitch's valuable warning on WA business taxes. Many WA businesses are fleeing to ID (which has some good schools and highly educated places (and very nice) to live (Sandpoint, Moscow, CDL, Boise, Meridian, Pocatello, ...). I was just at the PNW regional economic development meeting. Idaho's slogan "We love WA & OR Businesses" (And they have been the recipients of many of our WA OR dairies, so ID can even offer to FEED those who come!

Do your due diligence on WA Business info, Here is a SMALL smattering of resources.

Business Licensing Service of Washington State (ugh, they just changed sites, WALI was SO GOOD, as it stepped you through the process and told exactly which agencies to contact based on your specified business... maybe it is still available in cyberspace)
Start or run your business
Lookup business information (search for your business name)
http://dor.wa.gov/docs/Pubs/ExciseTa...BusTaxOver.pdf
http://www.cityofseattle.net/economi...iz-startup.pdf

VERY IMPORTANT - need to pay personal property tax on your paper-clips and waste baskets, and other business assets, (ALL assets must be inventoried & reported EVERY YEAR (to your county), Stiff fines !!! BTW: the counties do exhaustive web searches to look for DBA's and WA Businesses flying under the Radar) Personal property valuation guidelines

DON"T forget Use Tax !!!! (and tax on any rented equipment)

And SALES TAX, very important and difficult for food retailers MUST have PoS tax reporting on every item, as some are taxable and some are not. (mainly in Food / drink).

If you have ANY employees you will be wise to have a payroll service administer the required reporting needs. One fine / error will cover a few yrs cost of a payroll service.

fetch the Bus Start-up kit .pdf from Kitsap County, it is pretty good
Kitsap Economic Development Alliance - KEDA - Kitsap County, WA (right side middle / lower)

Good luck with your move. You might also want to check out Colorado it has more equitable taxes and decent EDU, but WY has excellent and well funded public EDU. Educated (degreed) neighbors (and climate) will be a challenge, but the people / culture is tough to beat in USA).

You should also consider areas near National Labs (like Richland, WA, Oakridge, Las Cruces, Boulder/Golden, CO ...). There is a highly educated and engaged population in most of these places, and they are often in beautiful areas.
File:U.S. National labs map.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-28-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskate85 View Post
I too am moving from OH to WA in December. Can't wait to get out of the Midwest altogether. May I ask why you are moving from OH?
To many too mention.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:05 PM

Hey M3 Mitch and Rabbit if Washington so bad why stay?[SIZE=5][/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington