Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Washington: home prices, traffic, real estate, housing, cost of living, mortgage.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 11:33 AM

7 posts, read 28,115 times

Advertisements

For what it's worth I'm a native of WA, so I've see people come and go for various reasons. One thing I find very interesting is that when people leave they go back into the HOT zones - Phoenix, So Cal, etc. - and people from those areas think Western WA is going to be their answer to a perfect climate. (Grass is always greener syndrome?) Transplants don't seem to stay long, they go home.

Seattle area real estate IS now expensive, but outlying areas are still relatively reasonable....but then it's relative to the appreciation from across the country, unless you want to live in the mid-west. As far as escaping a rat race - you're headed right into it...unless you are from LA. Traffic, King County politics, Liberals that vote every tax into existence, and bad drivers are just some of the fringe benefits of living here.

As to the character of the friendliness of the people....WA (Seattle area in particular) use to have the friendliest folks anywhere until the onset of the techies, the Microsoft transplants and a host of other high tech companies came into being. Life became to fast paced to bother with your neighbors and quite frankly I believe the tech industry breeds people with no social skills. JMO but I worked in 3 different tech environments and found this to be the case. Sad to see this has definitely changed the culture of Seattle and burbs.

You probably ask why I stay here...we are just waiting for the last child to graduate and then we are gone. Sorry to sound so negative. ;-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 11:36 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,193,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjd1950 View Post
For what it's worth I'm a native of WA, so I've see people come and go for various reasons. One thing I find very interesting is that when people leave they go back into the HOT zones - Phoenix, So Cal, etc. - and people from those areas think Western WA is going to be their answer to a perfect climate. (Grass is always greener syndrome?) Transplants don't seem to stay long, they go home.

Seattle area real estate IS now expensive, but outlying areas are still relatively reasonable....but then it's relative to the appreciation from across the country, unless you want to live in the mid-west.

As to the character of the friendliness of the people....WA (Seattle area in particular) use to have the friendliest folks anywhere until the onset of the techies, the Microsoft transplants and a host of other high tech companies came into being. Life became to fast paced to bother with your neighbors and quite frankly I believe the tech industry breeds people with no social skills. JMO but I worked in 3 different tech environments and found this to be the case. Sad to see this has definitely changed the culture of Seattle and burbs.
LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,no comment!

Old 09-03-2007, 12:15 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,274,687 times
Everyone moves around for their own reason...no the grass is not normally greener on the other side, i have lived long enough to know that. The trick is to find a good compromise of what you are looking for...we are looking to live near family..check; we are looking to get out of the heat in So Utah...check; we aren't worried about the rat race (we were born and raised and lived until 3 years ago in LA county)...check.

I dunno...no where is perfect...it's what seems to work for each person..
Make the best of where you land, and when that stops working..then move on.

Have a great day...

Old 09-03-2007, 09:51 PM

11 posts, read 47,895 times
Default whidbey

we just relocated our family to Whidbey from sunny san diego and I can say that I don't miss a thing, although we have only been here a week. I can say, though, that everyone we have met in our neighborhood and in town , is very friendly and welcoming. I think a lot of it has to do with the attitude you have towards others. And there are way more important things to worry about in life besides weather (this is directed at all the people back in Ca that were confounded that we were moving away). Good luck to all of you that are relocating!

Old 09-03-2007, 09:55 PM

Same here regarding weather..everyone says..oh spend one winter there and decide. It just doesn't matter! Almost anywhere you live has something wrong with it (except maybe San Diego so maybe the best thing to do is make a list of pros and cons. See which one wins! And be happy wherever you land..more important things to worry about than weather. I plan to have lots of light, hopefully skylights. We'll see!

Old 09-03-2007, 11:10 PM

1,024 posts, read 4,139,855 times
I lived in Washington (Tacoma area) for a three year assignment from 1989-1992. I loved it so much that I knew I would come back here to settle some day. I've been back since 2001 and still love it. I chose to make Olympia my home and find the people very embracing and the environment safe.

Sandy

Old 09-04-2007, 10:34 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,768,824 times
I moved here (Western Washington) in '03, relocating from a very temperate climate in Northern California, and you know what? I love it here, as well.

You're so correct, dogmom, when you say that it's a decision one can make to be content with where ever one lands.

So....to you who are new to WA, or soon to be arriving, here's wishing you a very warm Welcome

Now...I need to back away from the iMac, 'cause I've got packing to do! Yep, moving to Vancouver (WA) soon

Old 09-04-2007, 10:46 PM

Hey everyone...sounds like a big party's going to be going on when we all get there...I feel like i know everyone already...later

Barb

Old 09-04-2007, 11:20 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
Default Good Island Vibes, Chilly Eastside techies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ness View Post
It's really strange to me b/c I've been reading a lot of negative posts about WA and they just don't seem to match up at all with what I see/feel/experience when I'm there. So far I've spent time in -- Gig Harbor, Whidbey Island, Port Townsend, Ruston, Olympia and University Place and think all those areas seem very nice. I'm not "getting" all the things I've been hearing, like:
1. Cold, unfriendly people
2. Ridiculous home prices
3. high crime

Am I just blind? What's up?
I'm not a native and haven't been here very long but I think it probably just depends on where you are and where you've come from.

For someone like me from Texas who is used to very affordable housing and very friendly neighbors (southern hospitality...) and communities which wholeheartedly supported (financially and otherwise) their public safety sector - a place like Seattle or the Eastside just isn't our cup of sweet sun -brewed tea.

I have felt really comfortable and met some wonderful people in the San Juans - I think the islands have that island vibe thing going for them - which is nice! I have been reading in the newspaper that some parts of the islands have gang problems so you have to be careful.

It's just what you're used to, what your expectations are, I suppose. For me personally it has very little to do with the weather but a lot to do with the high cost of living and the sort of people I'm coming into contact with on a daily basis. For other people money is no issue but the weather does them in... we're all different.

It's ok, though... it's better to have had a taste of something - even if you don't like it - than to have never tried it at all.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:44 AM

307 posts, read 1,421,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I'm not a native and haven't been here very long but I think it probably just depends on where you are and where you've come from.

For someone like me from Texas who is used to very affordable housing and very friendly neighbors (southern hospitality...) and communities which wholeheartedly supported (financially and otherwise) their public safety sector - a place like Seattle or the Eastside just isn't our cup of sweet sun -brewed tea.

I have felt really comfortable and met some wonderful people in the San Juans - I think the islands have that island vibe thing going for them - which is nice! I have been reading in the newspaper that some parts of the islands have gang problems so you have to be careful.

It's just what you're used to, what your expectations are, I suppose. For me personally it has very little to do with the weather but a lot to do with the high cost of living and the sort of people I'm coming into contact with on a daily basis. For other people money is no issue but the weather does them in... we're all different.

It's ok, though... it's better to have had a taste of something - even if you don't like it - than to have never tried it at all.
That's totally understandable. I'm coming from SoCal which is about the highest cost of living in the country.....so housing seems realtively inexpensive to me pretty much everywhere (except of course San Fran, NY, etc.) We're used to over a half million dollars for a small two/three bedroom in a safe area about 20-30 miles outside of LA city. We don't necessarily make more $$$ here either.....we just give 80% of our paychecks to pay the mortgage. = ) CRAZY!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington