Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Washington: home prices, traffic, real estate, housing, cost of living, mortgage.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 02:52 PM

307 posts, read 1,421,429 times

Advertisements

It's really strange to me b/c I've been reading a lot of negative posts about WA and they just don't seem to match up at all with what I see/feel/experience when I'm there. So far I've spent time in -- Gig Harbor, Whidbey Island, Port Townsend, Ruston, Olympia and University Place and think all those areas seem very nice. I'm not "getting" all the things I've been hearing, like:
1. Cold, unfriendly people
2. Ridiculous home prices
3. high crime

Am I just blind? What's up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 07:14 PM

199 posts, read 1,513,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ness View Post
It's really strange to me b/c I've been reading a lot of negative posts about WA and they just don't seem to match up at all with what I see/feel/experience when I'm there. So far I've spent time in -- Gig Harbor, Whidbey Island, Port Townsend, Ruston, Olympia and University Place and think all those areas seem very nice. I'm not "getting" all the things I've been hearing, like:
3. high crime

I agree, this forum can be pretty strange. I love Washington, but there seems to be a majority here that feel like the weather somehow ruined their lives. I get that there is some portion of the population that is affected by SAD and can't handle the constant gray skies. But honestly, I lived in both Capital Hill and the Central District and worked downtown, and now I have lived and worked in rural washington. I maintain that this is some of the most beautiful places in the world (even when compared to Hawaii - where I grew up and so cal where I spent my 20's).

What struck me the most the first year I was here was that the weather was overrated. When I moved from So Cal, everyone told me how miserable I was going to be. But for every cloudy day, there always seemed to be a ray of sunshine in there, or a crack of blue sky.

The people I worked with were always friendly - not Hawaii friendly, but more than LA friendly. People on the street were no better or worse than any other city I'd lived in or visited.

Home prices - what Coastal metro area hasn't been susceptible to high home prices (San Diego, LA, the Bay Area, up and down the East coast too). That's the price we pay to live near the ocean. And its worth every penny.

So, you have to take everything with a grain of salt, because everyone has their reasons for posting, and for some of these more negative posters, I think it must be therapeutic for them to get it off their chest. Doesn't mean I agree with any of it.

I love Washington!

Old 08-31-2007, 09:14 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,273,875 times
Most of the unhappiness does tend to center around the weather...well, wherever you live there is a weather issue, unless you are in San Diego, where it is almost always nice...

We are in southern utah for the last 2 years, this is the hottest place I have ever been. I am not just talking hot..I am talking HOT...in the 100's during the day...the coolest I have seen it during the night since May is 78 and that is just too warm to open up and get a breeze. The breeze that does come feels like a blow dryer. The winters are cold! We got down in the teens, some snow...brrr... so that leaves us about 4 months a year with nice weather. And I won't even talk about how dry it is. Even my furniture is drying out...

I love WA, my skin feels good, my emotional health is good..it is a happy place for us. Turn on the lights and enjoy the beauty of it all...

Old 09-01-2007, 12:27 AM

642 posts, read 3,072,940 times
In my experience none of the communities you mentioned have any of those problems. There is high pricing everywhere that is wonderful these days.

There are some places that do have much more crime then the areas you mentioned, but they are usually cities, in areas that one expects high crime. Sounds like you have visited some nice communities. I wouldn't worry a bit if I was going to move to any of those areas (although I have never been to, nor do I know where University Place is--unless it is that great mall I love in Seattle in the U-district :-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ness View Post
3. high crime

Old 09-01-2007, 02:03 PM

77 posts, read 340,172 times
Cold, unfriendly people: I'd say it's more introverted, cautious people than cold or unfriendly. Many people up here go out of their way to be helpful to others, but some people from other areas find it difficult to get to know people and make friends here. From what I gather, people who grew up here, or moved here some time ago and stayed, generally have small but close social networks that they aren't especially looking to expand. I find the people in Washington to be too conformist, which isn't a social characteristic that I personally like, but that's just an opinion. Washingtonians tend to have a few quirks that people from other regions don't like. They're not so big on making small talk or eye contact, sense of humor tends more toward sarcasm, and there's of course that infamous NW passive aggressive streak that comes from not wanting to look like the bad guy, but still wanting to get one's way.

High housing: it's relative. I'm not sure it's so much the principal home price, but the type of houses in the inventory that gets Seattle and its suburbs this reputation. Some older homes that may need fixing still garner higher prices here -- it seems like location (proximity to downtown), rather than the aesthetics or newness of a home dictates the price. Some places tauted as nice neighborhoods may not look so nice to people coming from areas that have more new home construction (although, of course, this area has its share of new homes/condos being built as well). Also, I think the weather requires more upkeep on houses and other buildings. The rainy climate + predominately wood or composite exteriors tends to make things look dingier faster -- unlike, say, a more arid climate with more brick/vinyl siding type of construction. Seattle also has an industrial/warehouse/seaport kind of look that people from inland cities aren't used to so much.

High crime: I'd say the area has relatively low violent crime. Some of the stats that skew the area include auto and ID theft -- but violent crime tends to be lower than other major cities. There are weird, seemingly random, minor assault cases that make the paper (but figure, a non-fatal assault being front page news instead of buried on page 15 tells you something), and apparently the State has a hard time keeping track of people on parole, etc. I would say that Seattle and WA in general is more lax than other areas with police presence and it looks like they're having a hard time recruiting cops. All in all, though, I wouldn't call this a dangerous place to live.

Last edited by geometricdisaster; 09-01-2007 at 02:12 PM..

Old 09-01-2007, 02:30 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,701,853 times
Ness:

I hope I don't make it so negative. I think the places yo visited are some of the nicer spots in West WA though.

I think my biggest problem was I LOVED where I lived - I LOVED my life and the weather. But I didn't realize it til I left. And Sacramento is such the opposite of it up here in Seattle. I didn't know.

It's not Seattle that I hate - it's that I was a Sacramento gal. And have had ahorrible time trying to transition.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:28 PM

307 posts, read 1,421,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
Ness:

I hope I don't make it so negative. I think the places yo visited are some of the nicer spots in West WA though.

I think my biggest problem was I LOVED where I lived - I LOVED my life and the weather. But I didn't realize it til I left. And Sacramento is such the opposite of it up here in Seattle. I didn't know.

It's not Seattle that I hate - it's that I was a Sacramento gal. And have had ahorrible time trying to transition.
that makes a lot of sense. hind sight is 20-20, right?

Old 09-01-2007, 07:46 PM

Got that right..hindsight is 20-20. Wish I was 20 years younger and knew what I know now...sheesh....

Old 09-03-2007, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,631 times
Default Whidbey

I agree with your post, we are moving up to Whidbey in a couple of months and have always loved it when we have been there. My husband has family on the island and they love it too.
So we shall see, we are leaving the Phoenix area. It has become so big and rat race, we want to slow it down alittle and we are not that young( early 50's ) and figure if we don't try it now, when? We are not gettin any younger!

Old 09-03-2007, 09:50 AM

Sounds like when we all get to Washington we should have a get together...sounds like we are mostly relocating for the same reasons, family, finances, and getting out of the rat race. I figured out long ago - the rats are winning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington