Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 08:39 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
That's entirely possible. I live in Fairhaven and the weather can vary a surprising amount just between here and Cordata. One thing's for certain, on average you can bet on mostly cloudy weather for most of the year.
But the last two weeks of July apparently didn't fit in that "most". That was a bummer for me, but the temperature was mostly acceptable. Anyway, the middle third of the USA was a horror, so Bellingham didn't have to be that good to be much preferable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 10:14 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
But the last two weeks of July apparently didn't fit in that "most". That was a bummer for me, but the temperature was mostly acceptable. Anyway, the middle third of the USA was a horror, so Bellingham didn't have to be that good to be much preferable.
Yes, July and August are the reason I used the word "most' and not "all". Come back in December or January, and you should see the more typical PNW weather. Like this:

Of course, this picture was also taken during winter (February 1st):

Old 09-21-2012, 06:21 AM

It'll be 0-20 in Minnesota. Heat will be the opposite of the problem. People who prefer the MIDDLE of the thermometer will find more acceptable places to live in Washington.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:28 AM

35 posts, read 88,424 times
This year has been very atypical. We had ZERO recordable rain in September. It hasn't rained much since the beginning of July! And this winter is supposed to be mild, too- less rain than normal.

But typically, even though you WILL get scattered sunny days throughout the year, you do deal with the VAST majority of days being overcast. It's not the rain that bothers people- I've never even owned an umbrella- it's just the gray. But yes, you can bet on those random clear days, EVERYONE will be out enjoying the reprieve!

Old 10-15-2012, 04:02 PM

68 posts, read 148,414 times
I just moved here from Rochester, NY and so far see no difference in the weather for mid October.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:32 PM

It was fairly bright and sunny up until around noon, then the clouds gradually took over and now it's drizzling.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:46 PM

68 posts, read 148,414 times
I find it funny that everyone around me is now exclaiming how heavy the rain is, yet from from my perspective it still would only be moderate at best. It really takes experiencing the Bellingham weather to understand its the quality of the rain that makes it tolerable. I can do without the former experiences in NY of 2 inch an hour driving sheets of torrential rainfall.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:52 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
I had the chance to visit Bellingham once back in the 70's. We were visiting folks related to my hubby and they lived up in a rural area. They cooked on a old time wood stove, had well water in a big old 3 story house. I remember thinking it was one of the most beautiful areas I've ever seen...My hubby and I strolled in the back of their property and found a lane which was covered completely from both sides with limbs of Cherry trees that were in full bloom...It was picturesque.
Here is a link to the City Data homepage you can look up any/all stats about almost any city in U.S.
//www.city-data.com/city/Bellin...ashington.html

Old 10-15-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaja111 View Post
I find it funny that everyone around me is now exclaiming how heavy the rain is, yet from from my perspective it still would only be moderate at best. It really takes experiencing the Bellingham weather to understand its the quality of the rain that makes it tolerable. I can do without the former experiences in NY of 2 inch an hour driving sheets of torrential rainfall.
Yeah, I still haven't gotten used to that. What people consider a hard rain here is more like a moderate to slightly heavy shower back east. Although I have seen some truly heavy rain since I've lived here, but only a handful of times. And really nothing I'd call a "storm" (so far, anyway).

Old 10-16-2012, 08:09 PM

Most rain I've experienced in the Pacific Northwest (west of Cascades) is rather light but prolonged. When I spent the first few years of my life in Spokane, it was more violent there. In Minnesota, it is more normally violent than soft and light. I always call it a "Portland rain" when the sky is overcast and the rain is tiny fractions of inches each hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington