Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2007, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 7,958 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend just got his orders to be stationed in Fort Lewis in May, and we are trying to get as much info on the area as possible. We found an apartment complex in University Place that seems nice.... would anyone be able to give us some suggestions on whether this is a good area? I am 22, finishing school online through Drexel University...my boyfriend is 21, in the Army and we are going to be staying in WA for two years while he finishes his last tour. What sort of things are there to do? Shopping? Bars/nightlife? Are there places to meet other 20-somethings? And... I have a dog, are there dog parks? And decent places to eat? Local places people like to go? And job opportunities as well.... I am a psych major who is looking for a full time job, preferably in nursing homes or in a counseling setting.... we don't really know where to even begin to look and have SO many questions!!! Any advice on the area would be GREATLY appreciated! :-D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 01:26 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,242,543 times
I used to live in University Place. Some areas are hit and miss. I'd stay away from most of the apartment complexes near Tacoma Community College (19th and Mildred) and I'd also run run run away from any complexes on 70th ave W, just behind the Narrows Bowling Alley and strip mall---bad news. IF I were looking for apartments in UP, I'd look west of Grandview and south of 27th along the Chambers Creek area. Bridgeport Way is the main drag in UP and there is a Trader Joes and your normal grocery and drug stores--a Walmart further down and a Fred Meyers. You'll find lots of military live in Puyallup which has some nice areas, although the commute can get hairy. Steilacoom is nice but pricey. If I were you, I'd check out Lacey. It's south of the base and is up and coming---better rents, newer places, doesnt seem to be many sketchy areas.

I personally wouldn't live in Tacoma, but it is where you would go for your nightlife---the Proctor district and area around 6th Ave would have your bars, coffee shops and places to meet others. University of Puget Sound is near and along with Univ of Wash Tacoma campus and with all their students, you shouldn't have a problem finding 20 somethings to hang with. I might steer you near the Proctor district for renting: you'll probably find smaller and more expensive places---not so much complexes, but the area is generally good.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:37 AM

1 posts, read 7,912 times
nygirl85- Hey, I am 22 also and moving to Tacoma in January/Feb. My husband is in the army and will be there. We are going up December to look around and sign a lease. I will let you know what I think!

Old 10-22-2007, 03:30 PM

2 posts, read 11,476 times
thanks i would definately appreciate it

Old 10-23-2007, 05:10 PM

65 posts, read 263,176 times
You could also try Dupont. It's much closer to Ft Lewis and far enough away from Tacoma. It's a new community, lots of Army folks, safe, green. UP is expensive if you want a nice place. You get more for your money in Dupont and there is a mixture of housing, condo-style and quadrant, as well as single family. Big-city night-life...no. There are a few nice eateries in Dupont, a gym, Starbucks. Check it out.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:49 AM

5 posts, read 26,485 times
Smile Fort Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl85 View Post
My boyfriend just got his orders to be stationed in Fort Lewis in May, and we are trying to get as much info on the area as possible. We found an apartment complex in University Place that seems nice.... would anyone be able to give us some suggestions on whether this is a good area? I am 22, finishing school online through Drexel University...my boyfriend is 21, in the Army and we are going to be staying in WA for two years while he finishes his last tour. What sort of things are there to do? Shopping? Bars/nightlife? Are there places to meet other 20-somethings? And... I have a dog, are there dog parks? And decent places to eat? Local places people like to go? And job opportunities as well.... I am a psych major who is looking for a full time job, preferably in nursing homes or in a counseling setting.... we don't really know where to even begin to look and have SO many questions!!! Any advice on the area would be GREATLY appreciated! :-D
I'm at Fort Lewis - feel free to email me. I'll help as much as I can. rntmay7142000@yahoo.com

Old 11-26-2007, 11:52 AM

5 posts, read 26,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrumMom View Post
You could also try Dupont. It's much closer to Ft Lewis and far enough away from Tacoma. It's a new community, lots of Army folks, safe, green. UP is expensive if you want a nice place. You get more for your money in Dupont and there is a mixture of housing, condo-style and quadrant, as well as single family. Big-city night-life...no. There are a few nice eateries in Dupont, a gym, Starbucks. Check it out.

Even though I LOOOOOVE Dupont, I think Dupont is more expensive then University Place...Just a soldiers wife's opinion...

More things are available in UP - Grocery stores, more then one gas station...just some examples.

I live in Lakewood and we enjoy it very much. Sure there are bad areas there, but aren't there in every town/city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington