Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2015, 11:37 AM

3 posts, read 8,204 times

Advertisements

About 7 weeks ago a close friend needed me to put his car in my name cause him and his wife both have suspended liscences. Let me start by saying I know doing so is one of the dumbest things I could ever do. I was desperate for money and in a bad way. Anyway, he paid me 150 bucks to have the title in my name for 2 weeks then he said he would have it put in someone elses name. It's been 7 weeks and the title is still in my name and they haven't given me any more money. My friend is out of state for awhile so there isn't much he can do.
To get to the point, does anyone know what I can do to get the title out of my name without having to get the cops involved? I don't want them to wreck there car or get it impounded or something and have me responsible because its in my name. When my friend gets back to Wa in about 4 weeks im sure he will switch it then but I don't want to wait that long. I know I did an incredibly dumb thing by signing the title so lets skip all that haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 03:40 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
Difficult situation because you knowingly participated in the deception... falls under the doctrine of clean hands.

I guess you could donate the car to a charity since you are the sole owner...

Just about everything else I can think of involves the law or the people in procession of the car.

Just make sure the insurance stays enforce... or you could really find yourself in deep trouble... anything from unpaid traffic tickets to what if the car is in an accident and someone is killed. Most insurance carries a disclaimer for knowingly letting someone unlicensed operate the vehicle...

I'm not giving you advice... if it were me and I had no cooperation... about the only thing I left to do is report the car missing/stolen and follow through hoping for the best.

You have good reason to be worried.

Old 03-20-2015, 04:04 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,793 times
Couldn't you send in some sort of "bill of sale" stating that you gave the vehicle to him? Don't WA car titles have a tear-off portion that you send in when you've sold, donated, or given a car to someone?

We just went through a hassle with a towing company in WA regarding a vehicle we sold almost a year ago in another state...we were able to solve this issue with a bill of sale. You are going to be screwed and on-the-hook for that car if you don't get it out of your name.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:58 PM

3 posts, read 8,204 times
I'll look into the bill of sale thing. And to ultrarunner, I don't think they have it insured. Im in a really bad situation here. My friend and his girlfriend aren't even answering my calls anymore so im call text one of them and tell them if they don't switch the title im reporting it stolen. this whole thing is just ridiculous and its a shame cause its gonna ruin/end a 25 year friendship.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:34 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,733,177 times
If you don't have the title, just go to the DMV and get a replacement title. There is a form for this you can probably find the info online.

Then fill out the bottom, transferring it to his name and send that part into the DMV indicating that you transferred the title back to him.

Then wash your hands of the whole affair.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:40 AM

The nuclear option is to report the car missing with all the ramifications that go along with it...

This will allow you some distance and establish a paper trail.

Of course filing a false police report comes will all kinds of problems so you need to be sure the car is gone and you have been exhausted all other avenues.

My brother was looking for a truck and I happened to find one... only problem is he is away for work for a couple of weeks... so I bought it, registered it and put insurance on it for the three weeks it took for him to come and get it and put it in his name.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
If you don't have the title, just go to the DMV and get a replacement title. There is a form for this you can probably find the info online.

Then fill out the bottom, transferring it to his name and send that part into the DMV indicating that you transferred the title back to him.

Then wash your hands of the whole affair.
You probably know all the required information to fill in blanks...

Might be the simplest solution... although it takes several weeks to get a duplicate title where I am.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 4,398 times
You can go to DOL website and file a report of sale and enter either name which will give them 15 days to transfer title. You may even be able to transfer the vehicle as a gift. This way you're not breaking any more laws and you can walk away. If you don't have the title you can go into any DOL agency and get an affidavit in lieu of title to make the transfer.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patc5611 View Post
You can go to DOL website and file a report of sale and enter either name which will give them 15 days to transfer title. You may even be able to transfer the vehicle as a gift. This way you're not breaking any more laws and you can walk away. If you don't have the title you can go into any DOL agency and get an affidavit in lieu of title to make the transfer.
do this today (early today) ^^^^
If you have the VIN do it online NOW. report sale to THEM.

Wash your hands, don't take a bath (insurance / legal liability)
at the moment...EVERYTHING you own is at risk (and more)... your freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington