Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 02:35 PM

104 posts, read 148,837 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Oyster Bay, Long Island, NY. I have spent a good portion of my adult life in the jewel of the Northwest, Port Townsend. I a thinking of moving back to the NW but for political reasons have ruled out Port Townsend. My son and his family live in Bellingham and my Daughter and granddaughter live in Port Townsend.
I need a place in-between that has a little artsy-ness and is not over-the-top expensive. Anacortes fits the bill geographically, but doesn't on the surface seem like a very interesting town. I've always thought of it as a jump off gate to the San Juans. Mt. Vernon has been suggested or even Burlington. I like semi-rural living and smaller cities.
I'd like to know more about life living in Anacortes. Is there much to do there? We kayak and sail a small day sailer, so that fits. We like good restaurants and traveling. What is the rental market?

Thanks,

ambrichard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 07:19 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,374,563 times
Anacortes has an excellent arts festival (over 50 years): Anacortes Arts Festival | Celebrating arts, culture and community for 54 years.

There's also a long-standing community of artists there. There are about six art galleries in downtown Anacortes. La Conner, not far away, has more galleries.

So, is PT too liberal or not liberal enough?

Old 07-30-2015, 07:19 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,748,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Oh, I wouldn't let the oil refinery stomp out my chance to live in beautiful Anacortes, WA. I'm over in eastern Washington right now but grew up in Edmonds, WA. I have spent some time visiting Anacortes and love Washington Park in town. I am putting Anacortes on my list of retirement towns. I am looking at about 6 more years of work, Lord willing and the creek don't rise.

But the refinery may smell, I don't recall a strong smell, and does have an occasional explosion now and then. Those don't endanger the general public but can and occasionally do kill oil refinery workers. Someone can enlighten this discussion further but I wouldn't let the oil refinery get in the way of a chance to move to this small, maritime western Washington city.
Hi Elkotronics! Hope you remember me from the Idaho board. We've recently moved to Anacortes and love it. We've been coming here for two years (boat here) and finally decided to use the Idaho place as a vacation cabin. I've never noticed any smell at all from the refineries and we can't see them from where we are.

I love the restaurants and the weather...and being able to do what we want year round...not being coped up by bad weather.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:41 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,503,165 times
Hi Elkotronics! Hope you remember me from the Idaho board. We've recently moved to Anacortes and love it. We've been coming here for two years (boat here) and finally decided to use the Idaho place as a vacation cabin. I've never noticed any smell at all from the refineries and we can't see them from where we are.

I love the restaurants and the weather...and being able to do what we want year round...not being coped up by bad weather.

Of course I remember you, mistyriver! Wow, my work has taken me to Dodge City, KS, of all places. This place is so steeped in history I can barely believe it. All the originals passed through here because it's an old-school cattle-drive town. And one that people couldn't seem ta behave in, too!

Yeah, I'm lookin' at retiring in 6 years. That's if the Lord is willin' and the creek don't rise. But that is more than just a plan for my wife and I. We've begun taking steps to make it become a reality. We love Arizona and New Mexico and the cost of living in New Mexico for a retiree is pretty hard ta beat. I love Bisbee, AZ, probably more than my wife does.

But Anacortes is sort of cool in many ways. We love kayaking...perhaps we could parlay our love for kayaking into something that will work in Anacortes. Also, Washington Park is awesome.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:22 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,351,453 times
Quote:

Of course I remember you, mistyriver! Wow, my work has taken me to Dodge City, KS, of all places. This place is so steeped in history I can barely believe it. All the originals passed through here because it's an old-school cattle-drive town. And one that people couldn't seem ta behave in, too!

Yeah, I'm lookin' at retiring in 6 years. That's if the Lord is willin' and the creek don't rise. But that is more than just a plan for my wife and I. We've begun taking steps to make it become a reality. We love Arizona and New Mexico and the cost of living in New Mexico for a retiree is pretty hard ta beat. I love Bisbee, AZ, probably more than my wife does.

But Anacortes is sort of cool in many ways. We love kayaking...perhaps we could parlay our love for kayaking into something that will work in Anacortes. Also, Washington Park is awesome.
My wife and I visited Bisbee in 2008, and had a great time. I love Bisbee, but probably more than my wife does.
Anacortes does have weather advantages. Doesn't get as hot as Seattle in the summer, and rains less in the winter.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:35 PM

Plus Anacortes has that marine "vibe" to it that is so inspiring. My wife doesn't like Washington state much but we did meet in Edmonds in 1979 and married there in 1980. Of any Washington town Anacortes speaks loudest to me. It will be an interesting hunt, yes it will.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:04 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,748,815 times
Quote:

Dodge City...you do get around!
We are absolutely loving it here. We live just steps from downtown but in a secluded, wooded area just steps from Puget Sound. We can hear ships horns as they go by. Love it. Lots of tourists in summer but the weather...hotter than heck in Idaho and never seems to rise above the 70s here with sea breezes.
We lived in AZ for 10 years and I love Bisbee too. I just need water around now. and honestly...we were just tired of living so far out and dealing with the Idaho long, frigid and snowy winters.

Keep in touch and don't forget to check Anacortes out again!

Old 08-06-2015, 10:26 PM

Oh I will for sure. Today was a big day as it was the day the Cox Communications tech. came over and got my internet up and running. We got in around 3:15PM on Friday, July 31st. I called Cox and the first day they could come and hook me up was today between 10:00-12:00PM! So I'm stoked ta be up and runnin' finally!

I'll be on here for a long time. Dodge City is very, very cool. There is the world's largest cattle slaughterhouse that I can't bring myself to consider at length. It is just way too sad.

I can take solace in the fact that their demise comes fairly quickly. Now, dentists from Minnesota that hunt lion Kings have got ta pay for the misery they're bringing about. That is yet another story that still hasn't quite worked itself out quite yet.

Last edited by elkotronics; 08-06-2015 at 10:54 PM..

Old 08-07-2015, 01:48 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,351,453 times
Quote:

Oh I will for sure. Today was a big day as it was the day the Cox Communications tech. came over and got my internet up and running. We got in around 3:15PM on Friday, July 31st. I called Cox and the first day they could come and hook me up was today between 10:00-12:00PM! So I'm stoked ta be up and runnin' finally!

I'll be on here for a long time. Dodge City is very, very cool. There is the world's largest cattle slaughterhouse that I can't bring myself to consider at length. It is just way too sad.

I can take solace in the fact that their demise comes fairly quickly. Now, dentists from Minnesota that hunt lion Kings have got ta pay for the misery they're bringing about. That is yet another story that still hasn't quite worked itself out quite yet.
I take it Dodge City doesn't have any vegan restaurants?

Old 08-07-2015, 03:40 PM

I take it Dodge City doesn't have any vegan restaurants?

If it does I haven't happened across them yet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington