Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 10:14 PM

59 posts, read 158,618 times

Advertisements

I lived in Anacortes for nearly four years, but am now in the Lake Tahoe area closer to family in CA. We enjoyed Anacortes but it definitely felt like a retirement town, as we are in our 30's and the majority there are retirees. Bellingham always felt more to our liking but my job was in Anacortes. I know plenty of people that loved the school system and the experienced their kids had in Anacortes.

We in fact may eventually move back to WA and it will be Bellingham as we have 4 year old twin boys to raise and the city better suits our family. But I surely see myself loving to Anacortes to retire!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,009 times
Smile Bainbridge Island

Congrats on your decision to move to the Great North Wet! I have lived in NE and SE, and still work for an East coast company. My family moved out to Bainbridge 4 yrs ago. My kids are 10, 13 and 15 now and I cannot say enough good things about this community and school system. There are 3 elementary schools, a middle and intermediate schools and the high school. I can attest for the excellence of all but one of the elementary schools (as my kids did not attend). The teachers are dedicated, the administration is amazing and the town just voted for a 50 M upgrade to keep the schools top notch. There is also a generous school foundation in town, so people really care about the schools and kids. I can tell you I would be sending my kids to private schools back east to get this quality.
The town itself is pretty diverse, as many from other places in the US. It may not be funky as in the past, but most are extremely kind and considerate. There are rich folks, but most are not and work for a living. We have met many nice folks, and while the character of the town is changing, there is nowhere in the US where this is not the case.
Real estate is getting ridiculous in the area (thanks Amazon!), but cheaper than Seattle and renting before you buy is an option (I wish I had done, to get to know the island better before buying). If you are worried about the rain, it is overblown (although first yr is tough). Check out the island and hopefully we can add your to our list of friends!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington