Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 02:24 PM

844 posts, read 1,443,629 times

Advertisements

I don't live in Washington but I can't imagine living in place where it rains 85% of the time, the sun rarely comes out and its chilly and cold. I guess its something that people who've always lived their have gotten use too.

For those of you who didn't grow up in Washington, isn't it a depressing state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 02:31 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
It is horrible.

My wife is still bewildered how we ended up in the Northwest. We just got a place outside of Tucson. After 35 years we have had enough and are heading south every winter.

Last year....it rained and snowed for a total of 4.3 inches of precipitation. I bet you....it rained for most of the day....twice. That is my limit. Anymore, and I am pulling out of Washington!!

You do realize that about 40% of the state is classified as desert!!

More than you ever wanted to know about weather in Washington state: http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/narratives/WASHINGTON.htm

Old 05-10-2016, 02:39 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Yes, horrible. Please stay in the south for your own sake!

Old 05-10-2016, 03:00 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
I don't live in Washington but I can't imagine living in place where it rains 85% of the time, the sun rarely comes out and its chilly and cold. I guess its something that people who've always lived their have gotten use too.

It doesn't rain 85% of the time. Spring and summer are usually glorious. I'm from CA and the weather never bothered me. In fact, I was looking forward to a change from the constant sunshine (boring) in CA. What I found somewhat depressing was the lack of high-quality entertainment, and the really bland, cheap architecture in many neighborhoods. Berkeley and parts of Oakland (Bay Area) have gorgeous architecture! The views of the Bay from the hills are breathtaking! Seattle doesn't have much of that, unless you live on Lake Washington, or in Ballard or West Seattle, where there are views of water. Seattle comes across as a drab city. I visited Bellingham, thinking of moving there, and it looks like a smaller version of Seattle. Drab and non-descript.

But regarding the weather, the only people I ever knew in Seattle who minded the weather was one woman from the mid-West. She hated it, her husband--from England, loved it. (Anything is better than rainy England, lol) Upon retirement, they got a winter place in Tucson. My student friends from outside of WA, some from the East Coast, others from CA, didn't mind the weather. They enjoyed the winter skiing opportunities.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:06 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
What I never understood....is why the state is called the Evergreen State.

My daughter was four when we were crossing back into Washington at Biggs, Oregon. She read the sign..."Welcome to Washington the Evergreen State"" and asked why Washington was called the Evergreen State when it is always brown?

She was 18 when we moved her over to western Washington for school in Seattle. Wow, it is green there and it rains a LOT!!

Your right....western Washington is pretty drab and non-descript.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:25 PM

291 posts, read 948,588 times
Oh my...you guys are killing me. My wife and I spend our vacations visiting her parents in western WA for 12 years. We love it so much that we are planning on moving there in the next 5 years. Such a beautiful state.

If you don't like it there...move! If you don't like the weather...don't move there! Problem solved.

Peace,
wc@h

Old 05-10-2016, 03:30 PM

Why would you want to be closed to in-laws? Stay in Indiana.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
What I never understood....is why the state is called the Evergreen State.

My daughter was four when we were crossing back into Washington at Biggs, Oregon. She read the sign..."Welcome to Washington the Evergreen State"" and asked why Washington was called the Evergreen State when it is always brown?

She was 18 when we moved her over to western Washington for school in Seattle. Wow, it is green there and it rains a LOT!!

Your right....western Washington is pretty drab and non-descript.
Yeah when we got here it was 109, grass was all brown and crunchy, and there were wildfires everywhere. And we moved into a rental house with no a/c. Quite the introduction to the cool and rainy pnw.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:37 PM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post

Outside of the climate, Washington is a fantastic state...good jobs, reasonable cost of living, low crime, good schools, beautiful nature. To answer your questions, wife and I grew up in New Orleans area and we do get depressed in the winter. Our kids grew up here and it doesn't bother them much. We have a house in Arizona and southern Spain where we can retreat in the winter.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:20 PM

486 posts, read 842,957 times
Yea, we sure enjoy that other 15% of no rain.....COUGH COUGH at the thought of 85% rain....

I don't think many would live in Washington if it rained that much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington