Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 10:12 AM

8,091 posts, read 8,451,143 times

Advertisements

Just not sure Seattle is really what she's looking for, especially for living on a vet tech salary. The "new life" she's envisioning is a bit of a fantasy - the reality is she'll be living in a "postage stamp" apartment if closer in, facing a tough commute if further out.

I wouldn't recommend going to Anchorage without first snagging a job. There looks to be vet tech job openings there. Low commodity prices are partly a function of a strong dollar, which looks to be turning around. Rents are much lower ($750-1,000 for a studio/1bd) than Seattle. Heating costs are higher, of course, but lower fuel prices help there. Yes, she needs to do her own research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 08:12 PM

45 posts, read 36,208 times
When I said Washington, I didn't necessarily mean Seattle. I already know it'd be out of my price range. I'm more interested in learning about parts of Washington, or really an scenic state for that matter, because I'm drawn to all things beautiful. The mountains really call to me. & I don't live in denial or in a fantasy land, I just need to get away from the people I grew up around. I'm 25 years old & have lived in the same town/state my entire life. I'm at a point in my life where I want to see what & who else is out there; I never got to travel growing up because I played sports year round & my parents weren't exactly rich, or even married for that matter. I want to live somewhere where I can have more adventures, be outdoors, & take photos. Nature has always effected my mood for the better, I like places I can be alone & escape to to clear my head & process my thoughts. It's therapeutic & puts things into perspective for me. & I do do my research, I research different cities & states nightly, but obviously websites hype everything up which is why I post here. To learn about the good, the bad, & the ugly from real people with real honest opinions.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:20 AM

Someone had brought it to my attention that I never stated my ethnicity, religion, views, etc. This is what I responded in another thread - I'm white; Irish & Portuguese to be exact. I was raised Catholic, but I wouldn't necessarily consider myself religious in the sense that I read the bible or go to church. I definitely have my faith & beliefs & pray when I need someone to talk to, but I guess I don't openly discuss it because I don't know how to categorize myself. I don't follow or care for politics, either. However, I'm definitely liberal when it comes down to it. I love animals, but I'm far from vegan & don't get offended by people who wear fur or leather. I'm not materialistic in terms of designer this, designer that, but I'm also not a hipster. I've always considered myself a little bit of everything. I'm pretty versatile & have many different personalities wrapped in one.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:19 AM

What's everyone's opinion on Bellingham & Bellevue?

Old 06-14-2016, 10:44 AM

13,394 posts, read 27,283,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRhody View Post
When I said Washington, I didn't necessarily mean Seattle. I already know it'd be out of my price range. I'm more interested in learning about parts of Washington, or really an scenic state for that matter, because I'm drawn to all things beautiful. The mountains really call to me.
I started looking into Spokane for my second retirement. Spokane is the closest city next to Idaho, and the weather is drier and not as rainy. The cost of living is much more reasonable.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:00 AM

Thank you! I will definitely look into it!

Old 06-14-2016, 12:52 PM

3,207 posts, read 2,519,580 times
It's raining in Bellingham today. Rental market is tight; homes are becoming expensive. Even when students clear out for Summer break, there are people who snap up the rentals.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:10 PM

8,091 posts, read 8,451,143 times
I was going by "still close by to a major city, & is also known for food, music, & preferably sports". That narrows it down considerably.

Once you get out of the central Puget Sound area, population density drops, jobs are much harder to find, and pay rates are lower. They also tend to be either FamilyLand or DruggyLand, neither of which is ideal for a 25-year old single.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:40 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,508,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRhody View Post
Hello, all! I'm a single 25 year old female born & raised in a small town in New England, desperately needing a change! I'd like to live somewhere that's scenic, laid back, has a lot to do outdoors, has a hometown feel, but still close by to a major city, & is also known for food, music, & preferably sports...what're your suggestions/pros & cons? Also, I do love the change in seasons & I'm a vet tech which isn't exactly a high paying job, but I love what I do! Thank you all in advance for your help! The people I grew up with & encounter tend to be selfish, shallow, & fake for the lack of a better description. I'd like to find & meet kind, genuine, down to earth people. I'm not high maintenance either, & in terms of what I'm looking for, I'm definitely drawn to the mountains but I have a very versatile personality which is why I'd like to live in an area with a little bit of everything. I'm an ambivert, there are times I love doing things on my own, which is why I'd like to live in a state/city that has a lot to do outdoors, but I also enjoy being around others & going out for dinner, drinks, sports events, etc. so nightlife is definitely important as well. Definitely don't want to live in the middle of nowhere (especially since I'm single & would like to find my person), but not necessarily in a large/major city either. I haven't been to Washington, so I'm just trying to narrow down possible locations so I can plan trips & visit before relocating. I'm torn between a few different states!
I'll answer the majority of your questions in another state's thread. I appreciate your honesty about the five or six states you are considering.

How long would it take you to get licensed as a Vet Tech in WA? You can't work, obviously, without your license. WA has a DVM school at Washington State University in Pullman. Potentially there are more jobs on the eastern side of WA by Pullman. The COL is cheaper than Western WA.

Finally for here, what jobs are available when you look on the Vet Tech websites or publications? I wouldn't move without employment secured first.

Good luck in your adventure looking at several western states.

MSR

Old 06-14-2016, 01:46 PM

983 posts, read 1,063,098 times
Arlington is a nice town with hometown feel. Close enough to Everett (big city), but still small and close to nature. Washington *does* have a large bluegrass festival in Darrington every summer; Darrington is a gorgeous little town in the mountains and not far from Arlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington