Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 12:55 PM

16 posts, read 57,943 times

Advertisements

I'm tired of my current go-nowhere career(15 years in the health insurance field) and seriously considering changing over to something else. I was considering going back to school to become either a Dental Hygienist or X-ray/Ultrasound tech. Just don't know if these fields are worthwhile to consider as I don't know if the market is flooded. Anyone who can attest to whether or not I should or should not pursue either of these two avenues, please tell me the good and the bad . I've researched all that I can online, but would love to get input from those that are currently in those fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 10:36 AM

16 posts, read 57,943 times
Default Anyone have any suggestions or know about the job market for either of those two fields?

Anyone? I just don't want to make a jump then discover that I just wasted my time and energy for a new career only to discover that there isn't any real market for it because there isn't enough demand in this area.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:59 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
I don't have an answer for you. I would research it yourself by looking at the want ads. Looking carefully at what they require in the want ads. Most places want experienced techs and not a newly graduated one. Some degrees have different stages and most jobs might require the higher degrees. For an example, I know a lot of people thought getting a CNA would be an easy ticket into high paying jobs only to find out that they are looking for RN's.

If you have time and inclination to go back to school, I would study to be a Nurse Practitioner. They are in demand and get paid well.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:51 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I don't have an answer for you. I would research it yourself by looking at the want ads. Looking carefully at what they require in the want ads. Most places want experienced techs and not a newly graduated one. Some degrees have different stages and most jobs might require the higher degrees. For an example, I know a lot of people thought getting a CNA would be an easy ticket into high paying jobs only to find out that they are looking for RN's.

If you have time and inclination to go back to school, I would study to be a Nurse Practitioner. They are in demand and get paid well.
Soon they are requiring them to have Doctorate's fyi....

Old 12-11-2013, 12:01 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Soon they are requiring them to have Doctorate's fyi....
It's such a different place nowadays than it was years ago in the workforce. Jobs that used to only require basic degrees for entry level positions now want the higher ones for basic jobs. It's a minefield to find something that pays well and enjoy doing. I know the reasons why since college is so much more accessible nowadays but still, it's tough and I am not looking forward to navigating it when it comes time for my kids to choose what they want to study.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:30 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,959,040 times
I'd get a degree in some security related field or upon reflection I should've gone into the army during college.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:40 PM

569 posts, read 1,410,252 times
If I was going back to school it would not be for an a x ray tech career. I probably have talked to 10 people in the past year that all mentioned being an x ray tech.

Nursing is pretty competitive also, I have a family member that just spent 2 years in nursing school. She graduated top of her class and is working, but....she has to work long hours, nights and weekends. if you do not mind putting in the time and working these kinds of hours afterwards then I say go for it.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:40 PM

373 posts, read 778,846 times
OP.

Are you looking to make money or to be fulfilled by your career?
Be honest with yourself regarding this question.
Granted, there are always more variables to consider.
Is the job you want a means to an end?
Is there a career or financial destination goal that means very much to you?

What I am saying is that if you are really just trying to make money or reach financial goals, you can always do that by learning about investing and money management. The more educated you are on both, the faster you will get to reaching your goal, no matter what career path you have or choose.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:04 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post

and are required to have at minimum, a Master's degree in nursing. There is a great deal of responsibility that goes along with the profession, beyond being "...tired of my current go-nowhere career..."

Old 12-12-2013, 04:07 PM

5 posts, read 19,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4is2much View Post
I'm tired of my current go-nowhere career(15 years in the health insurance field) and seriously considering changing over to something else. I was considering going back to school to become either a Dental Hygienist or X-ray/Ultrasound tech. Just don't know if these fields are worthwhile to consider as I don't know if the market is flooded. Anyone who can attest to whether or not I should or should not pursue either of these two avenues, please tell me the good and the bad . I've researched all that I can online, but would love to get input from those that are currently in those fields.
If you are planning to go back to school these are a few things that you would have to consider. 1. Time-another couple of years wasted. 2. Money- how much will it cost to go back to school? 3. Are you guaranteed that you will be making money in that field when you graduate? Now a days you have to go into business for yourself, like an entrepreneur. Go and work hard for yourself create and build your own dreams instead of doing all of that and building someone else's. You know what I have a friend that is expanding a business teaching people how to own there own business in the financial field and you don't need a degree. Go to yahoo business and the #1 career to be in the next 10-15 years is financial services advisor. Let me know if you are interested in learning more about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte