Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 10:05 PM

175 posts, read 203,779 times

Advertisements

I would love it of someone could explain why so many people say so many different things about how much rain there is and how gloomy it is in specific areas or towns in Washington. Isn't this weather stuff kind of definite, scientific and not just a matter of opinion? It either rains a lot or it doesn't. The number of rainy days, the duration, the number of gloomy days and when they occur would be a matter of fact, shouldn't it?

I'm interested in Edmonds, but some people say there are 9 months of rain and gloom.

PLEASE...someone clarify!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 10:13 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Some people like to exaggerate. It's the internet: post and read at your own risk.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:17 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
What is objectively true is that the Puget Sound area is far enough north that a person working 8 to 5 will leave home in the dark and come back home in the dark from sometime in November through sometime in February - raining or not. Of course, that's balanced by really long days from May through July.

What is also objectively true is that northwest Washington is usually cloudy in the winter, and often cloudy in the fall and spring, raining or not.

Lots of us here think that the PNW has the best weather in the nation.

No one but you can decide if the short days and frequent cloudiness are too gloomy.

Last edited by jacqueg; 08-01-2016 at 10:26 PM..

Old 08-01-2016, 10:26 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Simple: people have differing tolerances for rain, gray, coolness (or dryness, heat, and bright sun).

Old 08-01-2016, 10:40 PM

175 posts, read 203,779 times
The main reason I'm looking into the PNW is that the weather seems nice. I'm from the Midwest and I hate the extremes here...too hot and humid, too freezing cold. It keeps me from doing things outside more often than not.

I like rain, but not constantly, day after day, and I like cloudy with the occasional peek of sun, but not weeks of gloom.

Nowhere is perfect...I know that.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:42 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Yes, they are a matter of fact and easily looked up. But asking someplace like here you will get opinions.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
160 sunny days with the us average being 205.
158 precipitation days with us average of 100.

I moved out here from Ohio so I hear you on the weather extremes. Though there are days here that get above 100. And you won't see the sun for weeks at a time in the winter. And all the glorious mountain views and such disappear until summer.

Last edited by Yac; 08-04-2016 at 06:37 AM..

Old 08-02-2016, 01:12 AM

801 posts, read 2,212,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaTea View Post
The main reason I'm looking into the PNW is that the weather seems nice. I'm from the Midwest and I hate the extremes here...too hot and humid, too freezing cold. It keeps me from doing things outside more often than not.

I like rain, but not constantly, day after day, and I like cloudy with the occasional peek of sun, but not weeks of gloom.

Nowhere is perfect...I know that.
One good source of data is the Western Region Climate Center. Go to the site:

Washington

You won't find data for Edmonds. But, click on Everett Jr. College. They have data back to 1894. Once you get to the Everett page, check out the general temperature and precipitation links along the left side of the page. There is great info in those links. For example, you'll see the average number of precipitation days for each month. You can see the average number of days the temperature dips below freezing or climbs above 90 degrees.

One thing you won't find in the data at the climate center is good sunshine data. But, if you search online for "percentage of possible sunshine," you'll find some good resources. In general, for the area you're interested in, the sun shines about 20-25 percent of the time from sunrise till sunset in the winter and 40-50 percent of the time in the summer.

You can also check out "Bothell 2N" and "Seattle Jackson Park."

Old 08-02-2016, 01:15 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaTea View Post
I would love it of someone could explain why so many people say so many different things about how much rain there is and how gloomy it is in specific areas or towns in Washington. Isn't this weather stuff kind of definite, scientific and not just a matter of opinion? It either rains a lot or it doesn't. The number of rainy days, the duration, the number of gloomy days and when they occur would be a matter of fact, shouldn't it?

I'm interested in Edmonds, but some people say there are 9 months of rain and gloom.

PLEASE...someone clarify!
What is your perspective? Edmonds is rainy and gloomy for long stretches in winter and spring, summer and early fall are fantastic. Some people love the cool and moderate climate and like or don't mind the gray winters, for others, it's torture.

About Washington, keep in mind that eastern Washington is a desert so the variety of climates in Washington are such that you won't see anywhere in the USA except for the West Coast.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:34 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
There are many micro-climates here caused by water and mountains. Here in Sammammish we get 1/3 more rain than Seattle, with colder winters and hotter summers. Edmonds is at the far end of the rain shadow from the Olympic Mountains and gets less rain than Seattle, though still more than average for the US. Some people complain to keep others from moving here, others, like me, like the rain and green and promote it as a great climate.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:28 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,272,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
What is your perspective? Edmonds is rainy and gloomy for long stretches in winter and spring, summer and early fall are fantastic. Some people love the cool and moderate climate and like or don't mind the gray winters, for others, it's torture.

About Washington, keep in mind that eastern Washington is a desert so the variety of climates in Washington are such that you won't see anywhere in the USA except for the West Coast.
This is exactly right.

There aren't different OPINIONS on the rain in Washington - it rains how much it rains, and that's not subjective. But there are many different areas of Washington with different amounts of precipitation, and the rain/gloom affects people in different ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington