Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 02:59 PM

6,227 posts, read 3,411,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Rantiquity, you're laughing at the comment about bookstores, so would you mind telling us what makes shopping in Sequim so great? A retail big box area on one side of town?

I think that the point of contention here is that other people on this thread are giving their opinions as visitors, whereas you're a resident. I understand that- I've lived in a small tourist town in the mountains- Glenwood Springs, CO to be exact, and my folks recently moved from Homer, AK (which happens to be on the list, as well).

Having shopping options is convenient when you live in an isolated area. But again, in this contest a panel of travel experts picked the cities for their "beauty, culture, shopping, dining, entertainment and lodging options." It's not a list for relocation or best places to retire. Judging from the context, I don't think that they imply that "shopping" in these type of towns is about access to big box stores. Are you really proud about Walmart Store #5273 or Home Depot Store #8998? LOL, are those really the things that make Sequim great? Do you think that anyone outside of Sequim cares about those options?

That's cool if Sequim wins the contest, but it's really about bragging rights and marketing. And if you win, it's also about managing expectations. Again, I'm sure Sequim is a nice place to live but as a tourist if I compared it to any of the other places on the list I'd be substantially underwhelmed....
Cool....If you like being a tourist and see town as you pass thru, that is fine but people who vote on this poll are the people who live in those communities. People like Sequim over PT for a reason and I just listed a few.
I am sure I can list a lot more reasons why people prefer Sequim if you are interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 06:52 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,939,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Cool....If you like being a tourist and see town as you pass thru, that is fine but people who vote on this poll are the people who live in those communities. People like Sequim over PT for a reason and I just listed a few.
I am sure I can list a lot more reasons why people prefer Sequim if you are interested.
Well, yes I do like being a tourist, but forgive me for thinking this is about tourism. The description from USA Today, "these 20 small towns are each travel-worthy for their beauty, culture, shopping, dining, entertainment and lodging options." Do you really think Sequim compares to the other towns on the list? I don't, though as you've suggested, that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm just pointing out that most of the towns on the list are very much touristy- though some are more livable then others. I mean, do you think that a travel expert or tourist would be impressed by big box stores? No, but big box stores would be helpful to a resident.

Again, I think they should have titled it "best small towns to visit" or "best small towns to live in" because there's a huge difference between the two.

As to your point about the voting, you're right about it being people living in the community- again these are unscientific and it's locals voting for bragging rights. But again, when I see that list, I think of destinations set up to accommodate out-of-town visitors. And given the criteria listed and competitors, I just don't see Sequim on that list.

Don't worry, we'll still stop by Pacific Pantry if it's open when we're cruising through. But we'll actually spend money to stay in PT and enjoy going to shops there that we couldn't find in other places.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Well, yes I do like being a tourist, but forgive me for thinking this is about tourism. The description from USA Today, "these 20 small towns are each travel-worthy for their beauty, culture, shopping, dining, entertainment and lodging options." Do you really think Sequim compares to the other towns on the list? I don't, though as you've suggested, that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm just pointing out that most of the towns on the list are very much touristy- though some are more livable then others. I mean, do you think that a travel expert or tourist would be impressed by big box stores? No, but big box stores would be helpful to a resident.

Again, I think they should have titled it "best small towns to visit" or "best small towns to live in" because there's a huge difference between the two.

As to your point about the voting, you're right about it being people living in the community- again these are unscientific and it's locals voting for bragging rights. But again, when I see that list, I think of destinations set up to accommodate out-of-town visitors. And given the criteria listed and competitors, I just don't see Sequim on that list.

Don't worry, we'll still stop by Pacific Pantry if it's open when we're cruising through. But we'll actually spend money to stay in PT and enjoy going to shops there that we couldn't find in other places.
There only a couple small accommodations for out of townees to stay in PT and good luck finding a room in the summer months. Sequim being more forward looking has several.

I am glad you said 'if opened'...that what happens to hobby businesses. 'if open'! You are right about shops that have trinkets that other place don't have. But for me I can't afford overpriced glass blown trinkets and Chinese made hippy junk that can be found latter at garage sells for a tenth of the price.

But what ever blows your skirt up... go for it.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
There only a couple small accommodations for out of townees to stay in PT and good luck finding a room in the summer months. Sequim being more forward looking has several.

I am glad you said 'if opened'...that what happens to hobby businesses. 'if open'! You are right about shops that have trinkets that other place don't have. But for me I can't afford overpriced glass blown trinkets and Chinese made hippy junk that can be found latter at garage sells for a tenth of the price.

But what ever blows your skirt up... go for it.
Lol, Pacific Pantry is in Sequim and is quite delicious- you should try it. I was joking about it not being open because it seems like every time we're in your town, it happens to be on a Sunday so nothing's open and we have to drive to Port Angeles if we're westbound or PT if we're eastbound to get something to eat.

I'm also not sure you get what I'm saying about shopping. As a visitor I have plenty more shopping opportunities here at home in Bellingham if I'm trying to buy power tools or a pair of jeans or a bag of mulch or a used car, etc., but that's not what we visit "best small towns" for. I mean, just about anyone visiting the Olympic Peninsula from anywhere else has better shopping, if you're talking about practical things and daily necessities. But that's not what they visit the area for, either. Again, there's a difference between what that contest means to a resident like you vs. a tourist like me.

If land and space is what you seek, well maybe Sequim is a better choice for living. But for a visitor, there are far, far more places to stay in PT and they often fill up because it's a charming, historical little tourist destination on the water. A couple chain hotels and restaurants on a random stretch of Washington St. in Sequim no way compares to staying in a funky Victorian PT hotel from the 1800's and walking down Water St. with grand old historic buildings and shops and restaurants all around and the ferry down the street. And yeah, shops with hippy trinkets, because those kinds of things exist in nearly all of the other towns on the list, but not so much in Sequim. Hence my observation that it's a bit of an oddball on the list. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Lol, Pacific Pantry is in Sequim and is quite delicious- you should try it. I was joking about it not being open because it seems like every time we're in your town, it happens to be on a Sunday so nothing's open and we have to drive to Port Angeles if we're westbound or PT if we're eastbound to get something to eat.
I know of no restaurants in Sequim that are closed on Sunday...some on Monday. If you are in Sequim on Sunday go to the Paradise on Sequim Ave or Applebee, Black Bear, Mariner, 101 Dinner, Clear Cheek , fortune Star, Oasis and numerous Mexican and other Chinese restaurants so on, they are all open on Sunday.

Quote:
I'm also not sure you get what I'm saying about shopping. As a visitor I have plenty more shopping opportunities here at home in Bellingham if I'm trying to buy power tools or a pair of jeans or a bag of mulch or a used car, etc., but that's not what we visit "best small towns" for. I mean, just about anyone visiting the Olympic Peninsula from anywhere else has better shopping, if you're talking about practical things and daily necessities. But that's not what they visit the area for, either. Again, there's a difference between what that contest means to a resident like you vs. a tourist like me.
Of course Bellingham has more to offer in shopping than Sequim. Its population of over 80K compared to 6K seems to be a good reason.

Quote:
If land and space is what you seek, well maybe Sequim is a better choice for living. But for a visitor, there are far, far more places to stay in PT and they often fill up because it's a charming, historical little tourist destination on the water. A couple chain hotels and restaurants on a random stretch of Washington St. in Sequim no way compares to staying in a funky Victorian PT hotel from the 1800's and walking down Water St. with grand old historic buildings and shops and restaurants all around and the ferry down the street. And yeah, shops with hippy trinkets, because those kinds of things exist in nearly all of the other towns on the list, but not so much in Sequim. Hence my observation that it's a bit of an oddball on the list. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.
One correction...your post should read tourist trap. Sequim actually has some of those trendy shops in the down town area and a lot of them during the Lavender Festival that draws thousands. So that should draw you interest.
Please list all those places to stay in PT that can compare to the places in Sequim. After living in the PT area for about three years I must have missed them.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:27 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,152,355 times
Just can't resist commenting on PT "hobby" businesses.. LOL

The paper mill, a thriving Port, and an ever expanding hospital.. yep hobby businesses.

Nothing like the boring dead end retail jobs at big box chain stores in Sequim......

Yep PT has a pelethera of B&B's, small privately owned cottages and motels, and that's not to mention what you can find as rentals by owners.

Yep big nation chain motels, shopping and restaurants, are purposely not present. OK we got a token McDonald's, a Safeway and QFC. But that's about it.

If want to eat, sleep or shop at some national chain place, you can go to just about any city/town in the USA and eat at Applebee's. LOL

Not PT😀

Maybe just maybe some folks find that attractive

Old 04-27-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Just can't resist commenting on PT "hobby" businesses.. LOL

The paper mill, a thriving Port, and an ever expanding hospital.. yep hobby businesses.

Nothing like the boring dead end retail jobs at big box chain stores in Sequim......

Yep PT has a pelethera of B&B's, small privately owned cottages and motels, and that's not to mention what you can find as rentals by owners.

Yep big nation chain motels, shopping and restaurants, are purposely not present. OK we got a token McDonald's, a Safeway and QFC. But that's about it.

If want to eat, sleep or shop at some national chain place, you can go to just about any city/town in the USA and eat at Applebee's. LOL

Not PT��

Maybe just maybe some folks find that attractive
Then again people may find what you said as a drawback of PT and a plus for Sequim....maybe! Being a sanctuary city is also a drawback, at least to normal law abiding citizens.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Then again people may find what you said as a drawback of PT and a plus for Sequim....maybe! Being a sanctuary city is also a drawback, at least to normal law abiding citizens.
Are you really rattling on about sanctuary cities on this thread and insinuating that people who like PT are some type of law breakers? Give me a break. Some people like Sequim and some people like PT. But let's be honest here and stop making things out to be something that they aren't. Sequim is a sleepy little town with a sprawly, spread-out semi-rural feel and a few chain restaurants and motels, and PT is a cute, scenic little historic port town, constantly bustling with activity and tourists. The fact that people like visiting or living there doesn't make them bad or even elitist, not one bit.

Anyone reading this thread who's ever visited both towns has to be laughing at your attempt to make Sequim sound superior to PT or the other competitors on the list. I'm glad you like where you live, but give me a break!

Old 04-27-2017, 05:02 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
I know of no restaurants in Sequim that are closed on Sunday...some on Monday. If you are in Sequim on Sunday go to the Paradise on Sequim Ave or Applebee, Black Bear, Mariner, 101 Dinner, Clear Cheek , fortune Star, Oasis and numerous Mexican and other Chinese restaurants so on, they are all open on Sunday.

Of course Bellingham has more to offer in shopping than Sequim. Its population of over 80K compared to 6K seems to be a good reason.

One correction...your post should read tourist trap. Sequim actually has some of those trendy shops in the down town area and a lot of them during the Lavender Festival that draws thousands. So that should draw you interest.
Please list all those places to stay in PT that can compare to the places in Sequim. After living in the PT area for about three years I must have missed them.
Not gonna list all of them because there are many. To name just ONE such lodging, Fort Worden has a couple HUNDRED rooms for rent, and they supposedly were adding another couple hundred. That's in addition to the B&B and hotel and private rental room count elsewhere in town. Things do fill up in prime summer periods as well as the really big festivals such as Wooden Boat Festival, Film Festival, and Centrum concerts.

There's nothing to gain by lying to claim that one town is better than the other. They are different, and that is a good thing for people who appreciate their respective strengths. It's not like a football game where one team wins and one loses.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:21 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,152,355 times
Quote:
Sure, a growing hospital is a drawback. Yep sure.. a bustling port with many talented self employed family business fabricators ready to help you restore and perserve that gem of an old boat.

Mill, well that is a good debate for that live in eastern Jeff county.

Sanctuary City?
Well again just like Applebee's, I can drive thousands and thousands of miles through middle America, and find plenty of Sequim like towns, with a Wall Mart and other big box stores that destroyed our once great county.

Sanctuary City? What's that? A city that let's Walart and other Wall Street leaches suck the life out of small family business that made America great to begin with??

Hard working legal imagrants are what this country is built on. I myself am a first generation from a 30s depression era immigrant, from what then was the highly disliked enemy county of Germany.

History teaches us no matter how great our fear of the enemy, predigucism is never the right choice.

By the way
... Left/right Conservative/Liberal are not in vough. Pay attention to France right now.

Change is pushing from many directions. Best not be silly. History does repeat itself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington