Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 02:14 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,761,220 times

Advertisements

I am exploring/fantasizing about the potential of a retirement in an area where I can have anything from 2 to 5 acres and have a drive not much more than 45 minutes to competent medical care if needed. I've looked on line and there are tons of acreage spots available all over Clallum and Kitsap Counties which I'm finding most interesting. Don't want to be anywhere near Seattle that's for sure. I've looked at so many spots that are attractive. Belfair, Tahuya, Seabeck, Sequim, Port Angeles and more. Plenty of nice 2-5 acre plots of land for 20-50K.

I've noted many will have electric at the street or very near by. Some have water hookups possible (most don't) and nearly all require some septic system. I have NO knowledge of the Septic systems. So I'm curious if anyone here has a clue of the cost of a competently done well that will easily accommodate a 3 bed 2 bath manufactured home, along with a quality septic system. I'm assuming will add thousands to the price of a lot, but I have no idea just how many thousands. Any input or enlightenment would be greatly appreciated. I'd just like to be able to have some idea what I'd be in for. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 05:29 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
It varies by the situation, how deep the water is, and for septic, the geological makeup of the soil. A relative has done both, but in Snohomish, and about 10 years ago. The well was about $10,000, the septic system $15,000. The septic cost more as it required an extensive leach field to get approved, they had expected about half that. Talk to one of the several manufactured home dealers along 101 in Sequim, they have done a lot of them and should have a good idea of local prices.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:44 PM

735 posts, read 871,935 times
I think some counties are working to overcome the court ruling that basically banned the drilling of any new wells, but if you are buying raw land better make sure that it will have water or the ability to drill a well.

The trouble with buying raw land is that you really don't know anything about it without spending money on tests and banks don't like to lend money on unknowns. Make sure you do your due diligence before buying.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:30 PM

Thanks folks. Yeah, I will indeed be preferring to find property where water and electric at least are already available at the property edge/street. Guess it's quite common having the Septic systems out that way. They ain't cheap obviously. Not inexpensive to maintain from what I've heard in the past, and if there is a problem with one big bucks to fix. I've got quite a bit of time to be checking out the process so thanks

Old 07-01-2017, 06:40 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times
You won't likely find many "country" acreages with water at the street, but you might find a few lots with community wells in planned communities.

Electric should be at the street at least, back to the building site, even better.

Wells can average between $5-10,000 - Septics $5-25, depending on the soils, and the county regs.

I would plan on having well and septic, neither are that scary, you just need to learn about them. If you are not familiar with the process or the regulations, it's probably money well-spent to find a lot where all that is installed already. It will cost more, but a $80-100K lot with everything installed and a home site approved is often a better gamble than a $30K site with nothing done to it yet. It just depends on where you want to spend the money and risk. You could end up with a beautiful green lot that is all wetland and unbuildable, or one where you still have to spend a lot of money to clear a road, run utilities, clear a home site, get permits, and install systems. It all adds $$$.

The manufactured home dealers are a great resource for installation costs, they can walk the lot with you, and help you through the process. Find one you like!

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 07-01-2017 at 06:50 PM..

Old 07-02-2017, 11:18 AM

I can well appreciate the concepts of a "planned community". It has some advantages no doubt. However several years from now I'll be looking more seriously to move OUT of the home we're in now. When we built I wasn't quite aware of the extent to which they would build around us, but oh my they have no concept of the limitations to building around where I currently am. If it's a small patch of green it's open season on putting something in it. The property taxes go up regularly each year to build more schools for these baby crazy LDS for which 4-6 kids is standard issue. They raise the taxes regularly to keep up with building new schools to accommodate the plethora of more kids in them each year. There's no end to this. I'm looking to find a place where the taxes are more stable, it's not baby centric, and most of all there is some room between me and whomever else may be in the general area.

To the point where I don't hear their barking dogs, screaming kids, roaring motorcycles or ATV's etc. If you catch my drift I'm looking for "Peace and Quiet"......a concept that seemingly has gone by the wayside. Hence the areas I mentioned I'd been looking in seem to have properties and places that might cater more to what I've described than others. I'm for sure NOT interested in being anywhere near Seattle or the towns and cities on "that side". Kitsap and Clallum counties seem to have a good amount of space, and perhaps aren't as focused (unless I'm wrong) on large families, kids and schools. After all this is more of a laid back retirement level of living, without any commute to work scenario. I don't mind the idea of a drive to see a occasional doctor or shopping, which could be as far as say 45 minutes if need be. So I'll continue to look at the land offerings on the net to see how things progress till I'm ready to make this move selling my home and finding a quieter more peaceful place to be. I hope

Old 07-02-2017, 11:46 AM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times
I live in the "country".... 19 acres in Rochester, South of Olympia. The good news is Western Washington has lots of walls of green. It is not hard to find a place where you can't see any neighbors. My neighbor to the North and East is 2,000 acres of timber. But it is hard to find a place where you can't hear any.

One can be further out than us.... certainly. But you need to understand something about rural country. There are two kinds of people out in the country: Those who want peace and quiet, and those who would not be tolerated in town.

In gentler words, you'll find those who want quiet, and those who want the right to make noise and not be hassled for it.

I am one of the peace and quiet types. I get what you're looking for.

The country has its share of barking dogs, screaming kids, ATVs, and fireworks and gunfire. Unless you buy a LOT of acreage and plant yourself in the middle of it, you're going to hear people. People who have differing definitions of peace. Just warning ya.

Old 07-02-2017, 01:54 PM

I suppose the other possible option would be to find a place with covenants or HOA's that forbid such behavior (and hopefully enforce it). No shortage of dweebs that create this kind of noise described that's for sure. Oh well.......lots of time to investigate fortunately.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:51 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,709,127 times
Sound carries very far in damp air (which is the air most of the year) - especially if there aren't tree buffers. I agree with Diana, that the farther out in the country, the more likely you will get some neighbors who are living there in order to make noise that wouldn't be tolerated in town- such as ATVs roaring well into the night, gunfire, loud motorcycles, barking dogs etc. Very, very common to find a mix of quiet seekers and people making lots of noise.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:52 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Yeah, If you want a nice quiet neighborhood you need to buy the whole neighborhood, then hope you never get a renter that has a "service Animal" that BARKS 24x7 as a personal service to a deaf client (Cannot be restricted by pet policies) (BTW, ALL dog owners are deaf to their own dogs)

Rural WA can bring lots of neighbors from Hxll, Fortunately we have been lucky the last 25 yrs (first 10 were miserable, but only while @ home (dogs barking all over the neighborhood ALL day (and I worked nights so 10 yrs, no sleep)

BTW, I have had wells and septics for 50+ yrs, few issues (none with septics) I have built several WA homes and was able to install my own systems (after taking the class and getting licensed) . I have 12 properties today all on well and septic. =No significant issues, (except with renters I pump septic every 5 yrs, personal home... never had to pump in 27 yrs (current system) I inspect it annually, but I KNOW what I stuff down it (very little 'stuff', no chemicals, no powdered detergents.).

IMPACT fees can kill you in some WA counties ($20 - $50k to convert bare land to a residence) Not including permits and 'survey' (by geologist, historian, cultural curators, engineers,,,) Different requirements for different regions.

DO NOT even consider turning a shovel of dirt within 300' of a WA waterway... (i.e. a dry creek)

Get PAVED county PUBLIC road access... Road agreements / easement are cause of MOST neighbor gunbattles / chainsaw massacres. EZ to take out barking dogs with 'loaded' treats... Neighbors... not so ez to take out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington